Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Just realized - didn't Waid basically do something similar with Voyager in Avengers: No Surrender?

Granted, Triumph wasn't a plant by one of their enemies, but the basic initial premise of the characters are the same...
    Yes, but it was suverted. Waid even took the chance to mock Triumph there:
    victory-and-triumph.jpg

But as every idea, a good writer could make agood use of the character. But I don'ty think he has many fans. I also would choose Moon Maiden above Triumph.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    victory-and-triumph.jpg

But as every idea, a good writer could make agood use of the character. But I don'ty think he has many fans. I also would choose Moon Maiden above Triumph.
    Ha! I completely missed that... and I loved No Surrender!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Might as well finish this off:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    victory-and-triumph.jpg
    Ha! I completely missed that... and I loved No Surrender!
    Well done, Waid, and Avengers: No Surrender was excellent. Reading this thread about Triumph made me think of Voyager being a fake founding Avenger insert... and there she is in a scene mocking that whole concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Hard no. I'm indifferent to the character, so if anybody wants to revive him, that's fine, but I strongly object to retconning him into the origins of the Justice League.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Remind me to put Triumph into Perpetua's wall of retcon shame

You mean the founding 5?
    I do. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I remember him from that JLA story. Poor guy.

No, no he shouldn't be a founding member. If the twist is that he's been mind controlled to think he was a founding member and has to navigate that not being real while earnestly working with people he considers friends who don't know or trust him, that might be interesting for an arc. Of course, he'd have to heroically sacrifice himself at the end.
    I remember that story! They could make him like the JSA equivalent of Superman or something.

It felt super weird for the story to end with him... a superhero... seemingly trying to destroy his own superteam. Didn't make sense. Why is he fighting??!?!!?

Extraordinary Member

I rather have Tommorow Woman back as a founder and I don't even want HER back that much.

There's no thematic or team vacancy that Triumph fills in the JLA. At all.

His only reason for existence is to play up the "failed hero" angle. He COULD have been like Superman but everything went wrong for him so the guy is bitter as hell. Which kind of makes him lesser than the heroes he resents.

So what's the point of him? If you need an irritant hero there's Guy Gardener right there.

I'd rather them set up Triumph as having led a team prior to the formation of the Justice League (somewhere between the JSA retiring and the JLA starting up, though closer to the latter). Triumph gets sucked into a time vortex, the team disbands without his overly-aggressive "leadership" holding them together, then he re-emerges and is angry the JLA stole his/his team's thunder as the premiere superteam. He still believes he wants to do good, but he's got a chip on his shoulder for having been cheated out of the glory and prestige he felt he deserved, and it blackens his attitude towards the job of being a hero.

The whole "I was there at the beginning and you all forgot about me" is just a Hail Mary mess that gums up the already shaky territory of the League's founding members (J'onn? Wonder Woman? Cyborg? Black Canary?).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I rather have Tommorow Woman back as a founder and I don't even want HER back that much.

There's no thematic or team vacancy that Triumph fills in the JLA. At all.

His only reason for existence is to play up the "failed hero" angle. He COULD have been like Superman but everything went wrong for him so the guy is bitter as hell. Which kind of makes him lesser than the heroes he resents.

So what's the point of him? If you need an irritant hero there's Guy Gardener right there.
    Guy have more charisma and redeeming aspects. I think than Triumph was created to fill that role in some moment. But I'm not sure.
    However, it must be noted than even in one moment Guy himself was a concept who nobody cared about,until his return in GL and his rise to shine in JLI.

So maybe all Triumph needs is the right writer in the right collection.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 09-13-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Triumph sounds like Homelander from THE BOYS.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Triumph sounds like Homelander from THE BOYS.

He does have a similarly fragile ego, that's for sure...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The simple fact is trying to retroactivly insert a new character into being around and important all along is almost always a failure. Guys like Triumph and Sentry usually just piss people off. Blue Marvel and maybe Jessica Jones are the only times this trick has really worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The simple fact is trying to retroactivly insert a new character into being around and important all along is almost always a failure. Guys like Triumph and Sentry usually just piss people off. Blue Marvel and maybe Jessica Jones are the only times this trick has really worked.
    But Triumph "worked" only because that story took place when ALL of the alternate timelines were screwed up, allowing things to happen like a "return" of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl (even though Barbara Gordon was still in the wheelchair) and Tim Drake's Robin teaming up with Dick Grayson's Robin. This was also how Lady Blackhawk (Zinda Blake) came back.

But once everything was reset / realigned after the Zero Hour event was done, Triumph as a "founding member" no longer worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'd rather them set up Triumph as having led a team prior to the formation of the Justice League (somewhere between the JSA retiring and the JLA starting up, though closer to the latter). Triumph gets sucked into a time vortex, the team disbands without his overly-aggressive "leadership" holding them together, then he re-emerges and is angry the JLA stole his/his team's thunder as the premiere superteam. He still believes he wants to do good, but he's got a chip on his shoulder for having been cheated out of the glory and prestige he felt he deserved, and it blackens his attitude towards the job of being a hero.

The whole "I was there at the beginning and you all forgot about me" is just a Hail Mary mess that gums up the already shaky territory of the League's founding members (J'onn? Wonder Woman? Cyborg? Black Canary?).
    There's a minor nuance to it that made it somewhat more understandable to me. Triumph sacrificed himself to save the world... and when he came back no one even recognized him. He felt abandoned as if he'd sacrificed himself for... a world that didn't even care about him.

Sure he went overboard, but.... I kinda felt where he was coming from though.

But yeah like the other guy said, his reveal of his origin was like... this guy must be from an alternate past. which would actually explain why people had a "who's that?" reaction to seeing him.