Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Should Triumph Be a Founding Member of the Justice League?

In the Post Zero Hour DC Universe, it was retconned in Justice League America 91 that there was a sixth founding member who was erased from history. His name was Triumph who subsequently starred in Justice League Task Force and his own 4 issue miniseries. The character was hated by fans and he was turned into a villain in the pages of Morrison's JLA, turned into ice bu the Spectre, and was never seen again.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    In the Post Zero Hour DC Universe, it was retconned in Justice League America 91 that there was a sixth founding member who was erased from history. His name was Triumph who subsequently starred in Justice League Task Force and his own 4 issue miniseries. The character was hated by fans and he was turned into a villain in the pages of Morrison's JLA, turned into ice bu the Spectre, and was never seen again.
    As it should be. I was a big fan of the JL titles back then, but the Triumph debacle was ill-advised and destined to be retconned the moment they did it.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, there's your answer ^^

And I think in World War III (Morrison's JLA, not the weekly 52 one) the Watchtower is blown up and, presumably, ice statue Triumph was still there in the trophy room. But nobody ever mentions this in the comics, presumably because they considered him dead already, though that seems rather cut-and-dry for superheroes.

Well, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I'd be fine with Triumph's return. It wasn't the concept that was bad, it was the execution, and the idea of a League founder being erased from history seems extremely, almost painfully, apt for DC and plays nicely into their inability to leave the "reboot/retcon" button alone (I like my meta commentary). Plus I like heroes who suffer serious consequences for their actions sometimes, and Triumph fits that bill.

I'm probably the only person on this forum who will say it, but I'd be cool with Triumph's return....so long as he was written far better than he was the last time and DC had an actual plan and role in place for him. Basically, if DC brought him back but gave him a new personality, direction, and purpose.....I'd be cool with it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Hard no. I'm indifferent to the character, so if anybody wants to revive him, that's fine, but I strongly object to retconning him into the origins of the Justice League.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't mind bringing Triumph back if he were written better and fleshed out. I always felt kind of sorry for the guy. Don't bring him back just to be a whipping boy.

However, to answer the OP, no he should not be a founding member of the Justice League. The founding members should always be the original seven and no one else.

Either keep him around and have him be THE founding member.

Or just forget about him entirely, or what else is the point of this character?

Astonishing Member

No because there are too many retcons as is.

He’d make for a good villain w. a personal grudge against the League.
    A guy who’s history’s been retconned out of existence, his supposed friends not really caring.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm probably the only person on this forum who will say it, but I'd be cool with Triumph's return....so long as he was written far better than he was the last time and DC had an actual plan and role in place for him. Basically, if DC brought him back but gave him a new personality, direction, and purpose.....I'd be cool with it.
    That's asking for an awful lot these days...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That's asking for an awful lot these days...
    lol well that's true.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I swear to god, I thought this was a troll thread because this is all I could think of

PS: I had no clue there was a Triumph

PPS: "For me to poop on"

And I think in World War III (Morrison's JLA, not the weekly 52 one) the Watchtower is blown up and, presumably, ice statue Triumph was still there in the trophy room. But nobody ever mentions this in the comics, presumably because they considered him dead already, though that seems rather cut-and-dry for superheroes.
    Yup some members wanted to save the watchtower and batman said no time plus flash and superman can rebuild it in a hour. Trouble is not only were there rare magic items there but living things like triumph and the jla living dolls in the trophy room batman killed by not saving them. Funny thing was this was one of the first things brought up by fans after that issue came out on did batman murder triumph.

Of course everything crazy was going on in that story so you can see why batman would say that. Still one line of "flash grabbed triumph out of the watchtower" or "we telaported the trophy room to earth" would have fixed it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gaastra; 11-10-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Hard no. I'm indifferent to the character, so if anybody wants to revive him, that's fine, but I strongly object to retconning him into the origins of the Justice League.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    What Buried said...
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

in a word? no.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."