Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

In alternate realities? Sure, why not? Beyond that? No.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

All retcons in which one character's role in a story is replaced with another, are unsustainable at best. Iron Munro might be the best version of that, but I still think he only really works because he was a major player in stories published to be about Iron Munro - and not about Superman. Triumph by contrast has a pretty small set of actual appearances, and most of what I've read serves mostly to illustrate why he's firmly not as good as Superman.

So if Triumph wants one of those infinite Earths that I've heard so much about, then he can have one. But as far as I'm concerned, in contrast with his cohort Tomorrow Woman, I wouldn't even really care for Triumph to exist in the mainline DCU in the first place. Not to be too dismissive, but I've just never really found a reason to care about him.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Triumph... sigh.

As a story idea, he's not bad. "Founding member of the original Justice League gets erased from history, returns, and is a little peeved that no one remembers him." Fine, I guess.

But the execution never really clicked for me.

For one, intentionally setting out to make Triumph a bit of a stick-up-his-butt jerk was a bold choice, but man did that NOT make readers inclined to give him a chance.

For two, nothing about Triumph screamed "time-tossed refugee from the Silver Age." From his costume to his attitude to his power set, everything about the guy screamed "I'm a 90's character." You couldn't really imagine him fighting along side the original JLA, 'cause he just didn't fit.

For three, he never really got better. By the time Morrison finished him off, it was kind of a mercy killing.

I imagine a whole legion of retconned heroes:
    Triumph
    Moon Maiden
    Sentry
    Kid Quantum
    Jessica Jones

Cripes, the Avengers has a bucketful of these now.

Not a fan of him being a founder.

I think a lot can be done with him as a fallen hero though without the retcon.

Funny thing is marvel did a take on this story with a female hero showing up claiming she was a founding avenger. Turns out she wasn't and it was a plot against the avengers. She turns good and helps the avengers and gets to be a real avenger for her trouble but was not a founding member.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Just realized - didn't Waid basically do something similar with Voyager in Avengers: No Surrender?

Granted, Triumph wasn't a plant by one of their enemies, but the basic initial premise of the characters are the same...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Still "No".

It was an interesting idea during Zero Hour when realities were screwed up, but once everything settled back down he wasn't really needed (or wanted).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Triumph... sigh.

As a story idea, he's not bad. "Founding member of the original Justice League gets erased from history, returns, and is a little peeved that no one remembers him." Fine, I guess.

But the execution never really clicked for me.

For one, intentionally setting out to make Triumph a bit of a stick-up-his-butt jerk was a bold choice, but man did that NOT make readers inclined to give him a chance.

For two, nothing about Triumph screamed "time-tossed refugee from the Silver Age." From his costume to his attitude to his power set, everything about the guy screamed "I'm a 90's character." You couldn't really imagine him fighting along side the original JLA, 'cause he just didn't fit.

For three, he never really got better. By the time Morrison finished him off, it was kind of a mercy killing.

I imagine a whole legion of retconned heroes:
    Triumph
    Moon Maiden
    Sentry
    Kid Quantum
    Jessica Jones

Cripes, the Avengers has a bucketful of these now.
    In fairness, he only turned into a 90s character when they threw him onto Taskforce and gave him a jacket as a costume. His blue and gold uniform was pretty good for a Silver Age throwback, IMO.

I wouldn't mind him back, if they tried to make him sympathetic. I love Priest, but I'm still baffled by why he's so proud of how he wrote Triumph.

Ultimate Member

I 1000% would rather have Moon Maiden back. And even that's more of an itch, not a burning desire.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This is the new DC remember. Everything happened and everything counts so he is a founding member.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This is the new DC remember. Everything happened and everything counts so he is a founding member.
    Not gonna lie - it brings a smile to my face to think that all the early/mid 90's JL stories I love (and everyone else hates) are canon once again...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I don’t very much like any changes to the founding 7, but Black Canary and Cyborg were palatable. Triumph was a silly idea that’s rightfully come and gone. I mean unless a writer wants to pick him up again which is fair game in the it all happened era.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I don’t very much like any changes to the founding 7, but Black Canary and Cyborg were palatable. Triumph was a silly idea that’s rightfully come and gone. I mean unless a writer wants to pick him up again which is fair game in the it all happened era.
    You mean the founding 5?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I remember him from that JLA story. Poor guy.

No, no he shouldn't be a founding member. If the twist is that he's been mind controlled to think he was a founding member and has to navigate that not being real while earnestly working with people he considers friends who don't know or trust him, that might be interesting for an arc. Of course, he'd have to heroically sacrifice himself at the end.
    Last edited by nx01a; 09-12-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

Founding 8 sure.