Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sure why not. DC bringing back characters no one likes and pushing them is par for the course at this point.

Spice the Justice League up a little bit
    The J-man

Incredible Member

I'd have it that he is a founding member of the Justice League.... JUST NOT THIS JUSTICE LEAGUE!!! He wasn't from an alternate timeline, he's from an alternate Earth. Simple enough.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

No thanks. I'm not against there being an 8th founding member but there are a lot of characters I'd like to see before Triumph such as Black Canary, Black Lightning, or Mera.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The simple fact is trying to retroactivly insert a new character into being around and important all along is almost always a failure. Guys like Triumph and Sentry usually just piss people off. Blue Marvel and maybe Jessica Jones are the only times this trick has really worked.
    Oddly enough, Sentry totally worked for me. Having the first series recommended to me actually got me INTO comics. Not really bothered since the King in Black/Thunderbolts debacle.

I even caught up on Triumph as a result. I guess there might be room for him somewhere but I am not well read enough on JSA/JLA to posit an idea.

Astonishing Member

Triumph was meant to be part of post crisis forgotten history, and remained so for post Zero Hour. Then there were other changes and he had a son post IC whose mind was screwed up by timelines and Superboys punch.

I think by now he is probably erased.

Astonishing Member

Personally, I'm more sympathetic to Moon Maiden, who was a more unique character and retconned into an early Justice League member who everyone was forced to forget about. Then everyone remembered her and she decided to live on the moon and we never heard from her again.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Forget about him and move on.

Either that or go for broke and just make him even more offensive to comic book fans. Retcon him as Ultra Comics and have him go back and change the endings to Watchmen and DKR.

If you're going to dust off and polish a turd, make sure you use the most valuable things you've got to do it. No half measures.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Forget about him and move on.

Either that or go for broke and just make him even more offensive to comic book fans. Retcon him as Ultra Comics and have him go back and change the endings to Watchmen and DKR.

If you're going to dust off and polish a turd, make sure you use the most valuable things you've got to do it. No half measures.
    One option would be to make him a character who only exists in a "broken" version of the main timeline. Which of course could raise the question of "which timeline is the RIGHT timeline?" But Triumph's timeline exists because of bad things happening that don't happen in the main timeline.

No! And I liked the character. Powerful, intresting personality, even of a bit of a jerk, but understandably so. Wouldn't mind seeing him back in some way, but not tied to the JLA origin.

Peace

Ha, I knew I was one of the few who didn't hate Triumph.

But that's just the idea of him; the execution was gods awful. And the major problem with the character is that he had no purpose beyond his initial debut. So yeah, the idea of a founding Leaguer being forgotten in time is a pretty interesting concept, especially for the team made up of *the* big names who're known and respected across the galaxy. But once you bring Triumph back....then what? DC didn't have an answer to that, and I don't think they even considered the question. The guy has no hook other than "I was there at the start but everyone forgot about me" and that's got really limited range.

If Triumph were to ever return I'd very much want a reboot of the entire concept, because the character we got didn't match up to the novelty and creativity of the raw idea. But comics are full of popular characters who were lost in time and there's nothing wrong with Triumph on a conceptual level, DC just didn't think anything through or put in the effort to turn him into a compelling character. Lots of potential, none of which was ever realized.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

There was a lot of silver age in Triumph. The strong, single word name (the Flash, The Atom, etc...). Clean-cut. A plain and straight-foward costume, with a simple color scheme (not a fan of it, though. IMHO, it could use some work. I prefered the parody Victory's one). A single power that can be used in many different ways (sort of like Barry's speed and all the uses he can give to it. Or the Lantern's power ring). Him actually being a well-prepared crime-fighter. It was many different details, but I do think Triumph gave out a distinct solver age vibes.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Let Pariah kidnap him and create a world for him, where he is the founder of his own JLA. Earth Triumph 94.

These days the character would be seen as a rip off of Sentry, so the character would benefit from being revamped to make him more distinctive.
    I've read that Priest intended Triumph to be gay but it never was established. Going back to that gives the character something to make him more distinctive. Writing him as gay but possibly closeted in flashbacks gives him some drama and angst. A gay hero inserted into Silver Age history would allow for different stories to be told with him.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    These days the character would be seen as a rip off of Sentry, so the character would benefit from being revamped to make him more distinctive.
    I've read that Priest intended Triumph to be gay but it never was established. Going back to that gives the character something to make him more distinctive. Writing him as gay but possibly closeted in flashbacks gives him some drama and angst. A gay hero inserted into Silver Age history would allow for different stories to be told with him.
    Decades of repressed sass would certainly explain the chip on his shoulder...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Decades of repressed sass would certainly explain the chip on his shoulder...
    Yes, I think that's a way to make him more sympathetic and likable.