Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why do some people prefer the x men wearing unique costume but not the F4?

I’m just a bit curious about this but i remember seeing a forum post about whether people prefer the x men in uniforms or in unique costumes and people were pretty split. Out of curiosity why has this never been brought up about the F4?

Imo I prefer uniforms since like the F4 most of the X-Men became heroes as a team. I think superhero teams should have uniforms (like F4 and some X Men) while teams of solo superheroes should be unique (Avengers and Justice League)

So how come some people find the x men having uniforms to be boring but not the same for the fantastic four?

Mighty Member

I have liked in the past where some teams have had individual costumes, but still had a team vibe. The original X-force had it several times (started when the end of New Mutants), where they were individual, yet still the same color or concepts. Depends on the characters and team. I wish the New Mutants weren’t just wearing their standard uniforms. Same with Kate. I would love an updated Shadowcat costume. Her wearing the standard uniform or a variation of it is lame.

The 4F are only four and much of the time one is shirtless and orange, the other is on fire and the woman is invisible. They have visual variety.

When the X-Men have had uniforms it has not.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I'm the opposite way. I loathe all uniforms, even the FF's.

IMO, part of the X-Men theme is about individuality. So, even the school kids should never have uniforms.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I want to see each member of the FF have their own individual costume but wear the uniform when on a team mission. For example, Torch finally got an individual costume in Uncanny Avengers and Sharon had her suit from her time in The Mavericks.

As far as the New Mutants, they should have stuck with their grad costumes and perhaps going back to the uniforms on certain missions. Likewise for the OG Hellions. Empath should be wearing his own at this point. It makes no sense for him to be wearing a school uniform.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 11-08-2020 at 05:34 PM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Because X-Men like Wolverine and Gambit, etc had cool uniform before they joined team. No reason to make the same uniform for all characters because they all have, some icon costumes.
    But Uncanny X-Force had that golden middle.

BANNED

This isn’t really complicated, the most iconic X-men run introduced X-men characters each in their own unique look and style. When wolverine and storm showed up they all had similar icons on their costumes but mostly looked unique. This was intentional as the first run of the X-men where they did all have the same uniforms was a failure. The fantastic four are more successful in their visual branding than the X-men. In that the F4 logo makes you think of the characters, but each X-men has essentially their own logo and look, which was also intentional as it lets them make more toys and shirts and stuff. Also the scale of the cast! We as readers need to be able to visually know who is talking. Four characters where one is a woman, one is a rock and one is on fire is easy to separate visually. The X-men would be a lot harder

Uniforms are lame. It’s not the 1960s with Stan and Jack anymore.

For me, when it comes to X-Men costumes, I prefer them to be the same base uniform but with individuality. The costumes feel cohesive, but are modified depending on the character. I personally don't like it when the team is consisting of different costumes from different era's, it looks a bit messy. Some of my favourite costumes have come from recent years because it seems a lot of artists like the cohesive yet unique looks too.
    Last edited by HaydnC95; 11-08-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    I’m just a bit curious about this but i remember seeing a forum post about whether people prefer the x men in uniforms or in unique costumes and people were pretty split. Out of curiosity why has this never been brought up about the F4?

Imo I prefer uniforms since like the F4 most of the X-Men became heroes as a team. I think superhero teams should have uniforms (like F4 and some X Men) while teams of solo superheroes should be unique (Avengers and Justice League)

So how come some people find the x men having uniforms to be boring but not the same for the fantastic four?
    Because the FF is more a family and despite the X-Men being seen as family to each other they were more individuals (ANAD) and if I remember correctly Xavier helped in the creation of some of the costumes with the exception of Wolverine and Nighcrawlers of course. Also, as to why fans prefer individual costumes well I assume is because they prefer their individual tastes. I actually imagined the idea of FF members having the same design uniforms but each member a different color.

Being boring and bland is kinda the Fantastic Four thing.. Just kidding being honest only one person costume on the Fantastic Four matters and that is reed, Sue and Johnny spend most of their time another form. Thing is a rock monster in a speedo. They have all have sense of individuality. The X-men hit true popularity with ANAD with Wolverine,Storm, Nightcrawler, etc all having different costumes which express their individuality.It is simply about being unique.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-10-2020 at 03:11 AM.

Mighty Member

Some X-teams have looked great in “team” uniforms, but they all were still individual.
    848E94C6-5B1A-4C25-8A96-CDEDF3BE4350.jpg
    52B315CF-97DC-4DDF-AA76-A19D2A6EF082.jpg
    BE4BEEBE-F157-40F8-8AD0-855085F87DD6.jpg

Incredible Member

X-Men Red pulled off the team fee but making it distinct
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Ultimate XM did cohesive pretty good imo so it can be done. I think a team should have a similar vibe across the board...

I wouldn’t mind them wearing individual uniforms, but the FF are a tight k it family unit.
    They like wearing matching outfits.