Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Best of Spider-Gwen?

So I’ve known about Spider-Gwen since her inception but never actually picked up her book. Can anyone offer me advise on what’s the best stories to find straight in to? Or if I was to start from the beginning, is there a semi-jumping off point so I don’t have to collect the whole series to get a complete story?

Spectacular Member

Does "a best of Spider-Gwen" really exist?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So I’ve known about Spider-Gwen since her inception but never actually picked up her book. Can anyone offer me advise on what’s the best stories to find straight in to? Or if I was to start from the beginning, is there a semi-jumping off point so I don’t have to collect the whole series to get a complete story?
    Edge of Spider-Verse #2 is Spider-Gwen's best story and first appearance. It went to four or five printings.

There's a recent TPB called Spider-Gwen: Gwen Stacy (2019) collecting that, the first Spider-Gwen volume in full and the first six issues of the second volume. That's a good jumping on point for you.

Spider-Verse Team-Up #2 is worth reading as it's by Gerry Conway who killed the original Gwen Stacy in The Night Gwen Stacy Died.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 11-09-2020 at 02:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    Does "a best of Spider-Gwen" really exist?
    Yes. Way to be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Edge of Spider-Verse #2 is Spider-Gwen's best story and first appearance. It went to four or five printings.

There's a recent TPB called Spider-Gwen: Gwen Stacy (2019) collecting that, the first Spider-Gwen volume in full and the first six issues of the second volume. That's a good jumping on point for you.

Spider-Verse Team-Up #2 is worth reading as it's by Gerry Conway who killed the original Gwen Stacy in The Night Gwen Stacy Died.
    Thanks. After those first six issues of the second volume, would it be easy to jump back off? Or does it leave me on a cliffhanger where I need to get the rest of the story?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Thanks. After those first six issues of the second volume, would it be easy to jump back off? Or does it leave me on a cliffhanger where I need to get the rest of the story?
    You're welcome. It ends the opening arc of the second volume so you can jump off.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Yes. Way to be helpful.
    It was a joke based on the fact that Spider-Gwen is a completely useless character (like Facade or similar).

If you are just looking for the best book to get to know the character, then volume one is probably the best bet. If you are looking for a actual great memorable story, ala the X-Men's "Dark Phoenix Saga" or Spider-Man's "Kraven's Last Hunt," etc. You are probably not not gonna find one, out of the 60 some issues I bought (a friend recently had opened a comic shop and I wanted to support him so I added "Spider-Gwen" to my pull) I can't honestly think of one issue or storyline that is a definitive "must read" instant classic.

I did find the later issues where she was popping into the 616 and being stalked by the creepy Jackal a lot more interesting then when she was fighting bland elseworld versions of the Vulture and the Hamburglar though.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If you are just looking for the best book to get to know the character, then volume one is probably the best bet. If you are looking for a actual great memorable story, ala the X-Men's "Dark Phoenix Saga" or Spider-Man's "Kraven's Last Hunt," etc. You are probably not not gonna find one, out of the 60 some issues I bought (a friend recently had opened a comic shop and I wanted to support him so I added "Spider-Gwen" to my pull) I can't honestly think of one issue or storyline that is a definitive "must read" instant classic.

I did find the later issues where she was popping into the 616 and being stalked by the creepy Jackal a lot more interesting then when she was fighting bland elseworld versions of the Vulture and the Hamburglar though.
    Yeah it’s a mixture of “must read” or “essential” I’m looking. And if there isn’t a former, then I imagine the origins and first story will be the latter.