Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Marie Javins named new Editor in Chief of DC Comics

Former DC Executive Editor of Global Publishing and Digital Strategy Marie Javins has been named the new DC Editor-in-Chief.

"Marie intrinsically understands the power of comics and their unique ability to entertain and empower, which makes her a perfect choice to be DC’s next Editor-in-Chief," DC Senior Vice President and General Manager Daniel Cherry III said in a statement. "In addition to her many creative talents, she’s also incredibly committed to increasing access to this amazing industry by mentoring the next generation of comic book creators and helping them find their voices. I look forward to working with her in her new role."

In August, Javins and Michele Wells were named co-editors-in-chief following the departure of Bob Harras amid a massive restructuring brought on by DC's parent company AT&T. In her newly defined role, Javins will spearhead the publisher's schedule to grow its imprints while expanding its worldwide reach and providing editorial and creative direction. She'll also work closely with Cherry and DC Publisher/Chief Creative Officer Jim Lee in determining narratives, creative teams and publishing plans.

"As a young girl devouring comics of Wonder Woman, Nubia, and Supergirl, I never dreamed that decades later, I’d be at the helm of the mighty DC Comics," Javins said. "I’m incredibly honored by this responsibility, and will dedicate myself to supporting and challenging DC’s extended family of staff, talent, retailers, and partners around the world in our quest to tell innovative visual stories that both reflect and expand our world—and in some cases, our galaxy and multiverse."

"Anyone who has been fortunate enough to work with Marie in the comics business knows two things about her – one, that she has the impeccable creative instincts and the talent relationships needed to create the kind of stories our fans crave and demand and two, that her deep knowledge of the global business of comics and its endless variations of storytelling means big things are on the horizon for DC in the years to come," Lee said. "I’m thrilled for Marie and look forward to the stories she has yet to tell."

Prior to her promotion in August, Javins served as DC Executive Editor of Global Publishing and Digital Strategy, as well as editor-in-chief at Teshkeel Media Group and an editor and colorist at Marvel.

Good for her.....that's it, I do not know enough about her to say anything else. Just good on her for what I can assume is a good promotion, hope she does well going forward.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Interesting, she mentions growing up and reading Wonder Woman. Hopefully this means better treatment and more opportunities coming up than under Didio and previous EiCs.

In an interview with Comic PoP, Garth Ennis told that she is a good friend of his, and as long as she was in DC it was always possible that he would be working with them.

So, maybe now that she is EIC, he can take some high profile projects, maybe something with Sgt. Rock, or some Black Label Green Arrow.

Anyway, hope she does a great job.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Good for her.....that's it, I do not know enough about her to say anything else. Just good on her for what I can assume is a good promotion, hope she does well going forward.
    Little bit about her career if you're interested:

Marie Javins's Star is Rising at DC Comics: Group Editor of Justice League Titles
    DC Promotes MARIE JAVINS To Lead New Publishing Initiatives

can anyone fill me in what's the roster looking like at the top now with this news? I don't really have all these shake-up's straight yet.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Publisher and Chief Creative Officer: Jim Lee
    Senior VP and General Manager: Daniel Cherry
    Editor in Chief: Marie Javins.

Sweet a lot of creators love her. Ennis, Snyder, Russel, there’s a lot of people who name her as one of the main draws of DC. I wish her best of luck trying to rebuild DC, Lord knows she has her work cut out for her.

Tom Taylor and Gail Simone both spoke very highly of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Publisher and Chief Creative Officer: Jim Lee
    Senior VP and General Manager: Daniel Cherry
    Editor in Chief: Marie Javins.
    ok so from what I've gathered from these boards since I've been here is:

Jim Lee is basically the new Didio, iunno what the job specifically entails but he's the guy who will get blamed if the fans ain't happy. Daniel Cherry is like the business guy, he does the business, again no clue what that specifically entails. and Marie is editorial, which I think means she's basically like brand logicistics in the comics; making sure the trains run on time on the comics so to speak. do I have that straight?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Jim Lee isn't the new Didio. He doesn't have the propensity to sticking his nose into things which aren't his business in contrast to how Didio was basically the second EiC of DC even after he got promoted to publisher. Nor is Lee making himself the public symbol of DC Comics that Didio did for the past 15 or so years. So the comparison doesn't really work.

But this is a spectacular repudiation of the Didio era.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-09-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    ok so from what I've gathered from these boards since I've been here is:

Jim Lee is basically the new Didio, iunno what the job specifically entails but he's the guy who will get blamed if the fans ain't happy. Daniel Cherry is like the business guy, he does the business, again no clue what that specifically entails. and Marie is editorial, which I think means she's basically like brand logicistics in the comics; making sure the trains run on time on the comics so to speak. do I have that straight?
    Possible but unlikely. When Didio was there he had the title of publisher but frequently did stuff that would traditionally fall under the purview of EIC. Jim Lee is keeping his existing titles and based off the reporting his existing duties so I doubt he'll also add what was Didio's workload to his. Instead I think what Didio did will now be split between Cherry and Javins.

Promoting someone from the realm of digital is an interesting move.

BANNED

Glad to see some more diversity among the decision makers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Promoting someone from the realm of digital is an interesting move.
    Digital is in her title but keep in mind that's not the entirety of her background or even her current responsibilities. She's the editor on Death Metal for example.