Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Which makes sense considering she's been acting co-EIC for months already.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

best of luck to her

Very cool. Lot of creators love working with her and she has a good eye for talent.

Thosw who know their DC history will note that they are 2-1 for having women Editor in Chiefs! (The position was created by the great Jenette Kahn, and succeeded by Bob Harras).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sweet a lot of creators love her. Ennis, Snyder, Russel, there’s a lot of people who name her as one of the main draws of DC. I wish her best of luck trying to rebuild DC, Lord knows she has her work cut out for her.
    This, my hope is that her goodwill with creators will draw them back to work with DC properties. With Harras gone, it feels like a cloud has been lifted, particularly with female creators.

Good luck! Sounds like a number of big name creators have nothing but positive things to say about her.

Nice, hope it leads to some renewed success. Obviously don't really know much of her to have much of an opinion one way or the other but I'll find out over the course of time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm old enough to remember Marie Javins as a colorist at Marvel.

However, she was also an editor at Marvel and Epic Comics.

It'll be interesting to see what she can do at DC. Given her time at Epic, I wouldn't mind a revival of the Vertigo brand in place of "Black Label," which doesn't really convey much of anything.

Astonishing Member

She edited the Ellis Hellstorm series iirc.

DC always had better luck with women in charge of the publishing side.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Given her track record so far, I'm optimistic for what this means for DC moving forward. I'm sure some clueless corporate execs will no doubt throw some monkey wrenches at Lifford, Cherry, Lee, and Javins, which always happens, but I'm confident in the team DC has right now to both respect DC's legacy while also refocusing their audience to a wider one that isn't over-reliant on aging white male fanboys.

Diane Nelson started the push towards a wider audience with DC Super Hero Girls and it has been very successful, particularly the second goofier incarnation. I want to see more great stand-alone books like Superman Smashes The Klan, Diana of Themyscira, and Harleen that anyone can pick up and enjoy. There are too many mediocre monthly books being churned out every week that appeal to no one outside of a handful of hardcore fans. Cull the line, and let the C-listers and D-listers shine in team books, as guest stars and in the occasional one-shot and mini-series. Try more experimental stuff digitally and see what sticks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'm old enough to remember Marie Javins as a colorist at Marvel.

However, she was also an editor at Marvel and Epic Comics.

It'll be interesting to see what she can do at DC. Given her time at Epic, I wouldn't mind a revival of the Vertigo brand in place of "Black Label," which doesn't really convey much of anything.
    She is a New Zealander as well.

As for her editing experience, she was all over Marvel in the 80s. Not only that, but she was assistant editor to Mark Gruenwald for a long, long time. Everything she learnt editorial wise, she learnt under him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Given her track record so far, I'm optimistic for what this means for DC moving forward. I'm sure some clueless corporate execs will no doubt throw some monkey wrenches at Lifford, Cherry, Lee, and Javins, which always happens, but I'm confident in the team DC has right now to both respect DC's legacy while also refocusing their audience to a wider one that isn't over-reliant on aging white male fanboys.

Diane Nelson started the push towards a wider audience with DC Super Hero Girls and it has been very successful, particularly the second goofier incarnation. I want to see more great stand-alone books like Superman Smashes The Klan, Diana of Themyscira, and Harleen that anyone can pick up and enjoy. There are too many mediocre monthly books being churned out every week that appeal to no one outside of a handful of hardcore fans. Cull the line, and let the C-listers and D-listers shine in team books, as guest stars and in the occasional one-shot and mini-series. Try more experimental stuff digitally and see what sticks.
    Clueless corporate execs...monkey wrench? What kind exactly? No more Titans?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

That seems a tad overly harsh on monthly comics and the creators who work on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    She is a New Zealander as well.

As for her editing experience, she was all over Marvel in the 80s. Not only that, but she was assistant editor to Mark Gruenwald for a long, long time. Everything she learnt editorial wise, she learnt under him.
    That's kind of interesting. From what I hear Grunewald was like a continuity master during his time at Marvel and ran a tight ship.

Did some more digging into Javins and she was the one who got Priest on Deathstroke. She also edited Yang’s Superman Smashes The Klan, both of those in particular were some of my favorite stuff to come out of DC lately. Hopefully that means Priest and Yang will get more work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's kind of interesting. From what I hear Grunewald was like a continuity master during his time at Marvel and ran a tight ship.
    Mark is the one who hired her. She was both assistant editor and his secretary.

He absolutely was. They called him Mr Continuity. If a writer needed to reference past events for a storyline they were writing, they'd run it by him first. He would often go, "well, this character did this in this book in issue x"

The guy knew everything about Marvel history.

Incredible Member

As far as I know she privided Priest with Deathstroke, so she got my vote.