View Poll Results: Which of these is your LEAST favorite Decade for DC?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1970s

7 6.60%
  • 1980s

4 3.77%
  • 1990s

14 13.21%
  • 2000's

11 10.38%
  • 2010's

70 66.04%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Probably the late-2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Their supporting cast and origins had been altered before post crisis. Far too many people blame COIE for the mishandling of the Wonder Woman brand while ignoring that this has been an issue inherent to DC for a long, long time. There were easy solutions to the so-called problem origins. DC just can't get out of its own way when it comes to Wonder Woman but to claim that the 80s were Diana and Donna's worst periods is patently false. Diana had a critically and commercially successful run for the first time in ages and Donna was part of one of DC's most successful books. Any damage that came afterwards was completely separate from the decisions made with them in the 80s.

I think you're exaggerating. Aside from the Troia costume, none of Donna's outfits were eyesores.
    I think the only real long-term ding one can lay post-Crisis WW was the Donna Troy problem but I'd say that was also writers couldn't stop picking at that scab. Stuff like the rotating casts and other stuff I'd lay more at DC's feet for giving marching orders to get the book more in line with the rest of their standard superhero fare once Perez left.

Aging up Steve, Etta marriage, and losing the JL founding member status is all debatable creative decisions to me rather than continuity problems like with Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    There were a few different Troia costumes. The first one made her look like a protege of Rainbow Brite rather than Wonder Woman. The second one was just plain blah.

The first Troia costume debuted in the final year of the 80s and the other two are from 1992. So I think my point still stands. The 80s were far from the worst period for Donna. If anything, the 90s was where she really got the shaft and it wasn't because of anything that was actually done with her in the 80s. Not entirely anyway.

Also, Starfire looks like she's laughing at Donna in the first image.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    The 2010's. The overall feel of DC comics since the New52. Loss of history and characters. Making other characters unrecognizable and some of the worst costume redesigns. Ugh.

I used to spend hundreds on comics each month. Now I spend $10 a month maybe and went a few years not buying anything.

You voted for Lex Luthor.

Your argument is invalid.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Wow.
    Look like most people agree with me. This last decade has been pretty shitty for DC.
    That said, this decade has gotten off to the god-awful start too....
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The first Troia costume debuted in the final year of the 80s and the other two are from 1992. So I think my point still stands. The 80s were far from the worst period for Donna. If anything, the 90s was where she really got the shaft and it wasn't because of anything that was actually done with her in the 80s. Not entirely anyway.

Also, Starfire looks like she's laughing at Donna in the first image.

Ok, I can meet you halfway and admit the latter 2 costumes came in the 90s. It's just that the Troia role originated in the late 80s and the ugliness carried over into the 90s. I wish Wolfman would have just left Donna's origin alone and let the Wonder Woman editor/writer figure it out so that she and Diana still had a solid connection.

PS: I was laughing at Donna too.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Feels kind of right being the 52nd vote against the decade that brought us the New 52.

Ok, I can meet you halfway and admit the latter 2 costumes came in the 90s. It's just that the Troia role originated in the late 80s and the ugliness carried over into the 90s. I wish Wolfman would have just left Donna's origin alone and let the Wonder Woman editor/writer figure it out so that she and Diana still had a solid connection.

They could easily have done that with Paradise Island and/or Olympus existing outside of time and space

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    They could easily have done that with Paradise Island and/or Olympus existing outside of time and space

Bingo! The new Post-Crisis continuities introduced for Diana and Donna both seemed lazy and uninspiring to me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Mighty Member

I went with the 90's. The character nihilism was too much.

I know it kicked off in the 80's with crisis and the money they brought in for killing off Robin, but the 90's was...

just Character nihilism after character nihilism for cheap profit. The death of Superman, Batman having his spine broken and replaced. Hal Jordan going criminally insane and being replaced. Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) getting blown up in a helicopter and being replaced..like I said, it was all too much.

I can't really rate 2010's, because I didn't collect comics from 2010 to 2016, but I'll just say, that Marvel seems to have better writers on a whole...I suppose it's because they can pay more?

Bingo! The new Post-Crisis continuities introduced for Diana and Donna both seemed lazy and uninspiring to me.
    I wouldn’t really call post-Crisis setup for Diana “lazy” considering it was one of the first times in eons at DC that writers actually put some effort/thought into the character since arguably Marston.

The WW editors did not seem particularly concerned with Donna's origin and never have been. If memory serves, Perez wanted to set his run in the past but they made him change it to the present and there were no intentions of incorporating Donna. So that one can't be blamed on Wolfman.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I went with the 90's. The character nihilism was too much.

I know it kicked off in the 80's with crisis and the money they brought in for killing off Robin, but the 90's was...

just Character nihilism after character nihilism for cheap profit. The death of Superman, Batman having his spine broken and replaced. Hal Jordan going criminally insane and being replaced. Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) getting blown up in a helicopter and being replaced..like I said, it was all too much.

I can't really rate 2010's, because I didn't collect comics from 2010 to 2016, but I'll just say, that Marvel seems to have better writers on a whole...I suppose it's because they can pay more?
    None of this can really be called nihilistic. While Hal turning evil and being replaced sucked, Superman's death and Batman's crippling were reversed almost immediately and Batman's replacement was supposed to be seen as an inferior successor. Green Arrow dying wasn't nihilistic and his replacement was respectful towards his legacy. And all of these stories, yes even Emerald Twilight, resulted in new good characters and stories.

Now the 2000s and the 2010s? That was nihilistic. Identity Crisis, Cry For Justice, Amazons Attack, everything that happened to the JLI cast, Max Lord being evil, Cassandra Cain being evil are far more cruel than anything DC did in the 90s.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-12-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Mighty Member

None of this can really be called nihilistic. While Hal turning evil and being replaced sucked, Superman's death and Batman's crippling were reversed almost immediately and Batman's replacement was supposed to be seen as an inferior successor. Green Arrow dying wasn't nihilistic and his replacement was respectful towards his legacy. And all of these stories, yes even Emerald Twilight, resulted in new good characters and stories.

Now the 2000s and the 2010s? That was nihilistic. Identity Crisis, Cry For Justice, Amazons Attack, everything that happened to the JLI cast, Max Lord being evil, Cassandra Cain being evil are far more cruel than anything DC did in the 90s.
    No I disagree with you. Especially if you had to live watching your favourite character go insane and become a mass murderer. That is character nihilism.

Your right, killing off a character like Green Arrow isn't really nihilistic in sense of his personality, but it is in terms of his life it is, because he's dead.

Remember Hal and Ollie only came back because of the pressure of popular demand, DC would have been happy to let them rot.

As for the 2000's to 2010's, yes they killed off some popular characters (Ted Kord, Vic Sage) but it was not as bad, it was actually DC's sales and popularity renaissance, in part because they brought back the main characters into the fold, Kevin Smith on Green Arrow, Geoff Johns on Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman & JSA, ect. Hell Hal was even on the JLA again for awhile...now that's a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    No I disagree with you. Especially if you had to live watching your favourite character go insane and become a mass murderer. That is character nihilism.

Your right, killing off a character like Green Arrow isn't really nihilistic in sense of his personality, but it is in terms of his life it is, because he's dead.
    That's not nihilistic. It's simply sad.

Remember Hal and Ollie only came back because of the pressure of popular demand, DC would have been happy to let them rot.
    Hal was still active as the Specter.

As for the 2000's to 2010's, yes they killed off some popular characters (Ted Kord, Vic Sage) but it was not as bad
    No, it was worse because often times these deaths were done for shock value (Ted and Vic being the exceptions) and had no good follow up stories to justify it. Roy Harper lost his arm and his daughter and relapsed into drug addiction, Lilith Clay was killed off and didn't even get the dignity of a funeral on page, Tim Drake's father died, Firestorm was killed and replaced. Hell, the 2000s retconned it that Hal, Oliver and Barry mindwiped Batman. It wasn't a less cynical and nihilistic period just because the more popular characters came back.

That feeling you had of watching your favorite heroes die or go evil? Way more fans had to deal with that in the 2000s.

Mighty Member

That's not nihilistic. It's simply sad.

Hal was still active as the Specter.

No, it was worse because often times these deaths were done for shock value (Ted and Vic being the exceptions) and had no good follow up stories to justify it. Roy Harper lost his arm and his daughter and relapsed into drug addiction, Lilith Clay was killed off and didn't even get the dignity of a funeral on page, Tim Drake's father died, Firestorm was killed and replaced. Hell, the 2000s retconned it that Hal, Oliver and Barry mindwiped Batman. It wasn't a less cynical and nihilistic period just because the more popular characters came back.

That feeling you had of watching your favorite heroes die or go evil? Way more fans had to deal with that in the 2000s.
    Having Hal as the Specter sucked, it's how Wally West fans feel right now.

I thought the early to mid 2000's was the best era for DC comics.

We'll agree to disagree mate...it's only comics after all.