View Poll Results: Which of these is your LEAST favorite Decade for DC?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1970s

7 6.60%
  • 1980s

4 3.77%
  • 1990s

14 13.21%
  • 2000's

11 10.38%
  • 2010's

70 66.04%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The 80s because it made me not want to read Batman anymore. Batman Year One was too adult for my kid taste, and I read the reading list they're publishing: Batman Year Two and it's cover with bloodied Batman holding a gun, The Killing Joke, A Death in The Family, Many Deaths of Batman.

I was like... why so many deaths?! I didn't read any of those until I'm an adult... with varying degrees of reaction. Batman Year One turned out to be one of the best as an adult reader, The Killing Joke is controversial still, and A Death in The Family just made me laugh at Joker wearing Iranian clothing. Whatever tragedy I felt at Jason's death completely gone by that next issue.

It may not be actually worst, but making a kid stop reading Batman for me is the worst.

Today there's New 52 and Rebirth but as an adult, I don't give a ****
    You make bad stories, I read something else. It doesn't affect me like when I was a kid.

The 2010s had a lot of great individual stories but had the weakest overall DC universe IMO.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Yeah, it has to be the 2010's. Some great stories if we were to select the cream of the crop, but thare are too many problems across the board. I've also lost my excitement for reading new comics.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

2010s by a large margin. The 90’s had their bad gimmicky moments, but it was balanced by some truly iconic runs( Morrison’s JLA, Starman just time name few). The 2010’s had just as many bad gimmicky comics but the truly iconic runs were a lot fewer and farther between.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The 2010s.

Wonder Woman and Donna Troy were not damaged in the 80s. In fact, that was one of their best decades. The problems started in the 90s.

I beg to differ considering that Crisis changed their origins/backstories so that the characters no longer fit "nicely" into the greater DCU which caused them to see their origins, histories, and supporting casts changed multiple times up until this day. Oh, and don't even get me started on all of the ugly costumes Donna has had up until Phil Jimenez re-designed her.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I beg to differ considering that Crisis changed their origins/backstories so that the characters no longer fit "nicely" into the greater DCU which caused them to see their origins, histories, and supporting casts changed multiple times up until this day.

Their supporting cast and origins had been altered before post crisis. Far too many people blame COIE for the mishandling of the Wonder Woman brand while ignoring that this has been an issue inherent to DC for a long, long time. There were easy solutions to the so-called problem origins. DC just can't get out of its own way when it comes to Wonder Woman but to claim that the 80s were Diana and Donna's worst periods is patently false. Diana had a critically and commercially successful run for the first time in ages and Donna was part of one of DC's most successful books. Any damage that came afterwards was completely separate from the decisions made with them in the 80s.

Oh, and don't even get me started on all of the ugly costumes Donna has had up until Phil Jimenez re-designed her.
    I think you're exaggerating. Aside from the Troia costume, none of Donna's outfits were eyesores.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-11-2020 at 10:03 AM.

2010s for me. The ‘90s were pretty awful comics in general, but I thought DC fared better than most publishers.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Their supporting cast and origins had been altered before post crisis. Far too many people blame COIE for the mishandling of the Wonder Woman brand while ignoring that this has been an issue inherent to DC for a long, long time. There were easy solutions to the so-called problem origins. DC just can't get out of its own way when it comes to Wonder Woman but to claim that the 80s were Diana and Donna's worst periods is patently false. Diana had a critically and commercially successful run for the first time in ages and Donna was part of one of DC's most successful books. Any damage that came afterwards was completely separate from the decisions made with them in the 80s.
    I don't think we can claim the issues are "completely separate" from the decisions of the 80s. Diana had gotten several tweaks before COIE, but this was the biggest and most visible especially as it was tied to a line wide thing. A new supporting cast was made, and while it was better than a lot of the ones that came before, it still was contributing to inconsistencies in its own way when looking at her overall history. The decision to have her debut in the present day and not be a JL founder actively screwed with Donna, who doesn't make sense as Wonder Girl if there is no Wonder Woman before her, and it doesn't help that they wanted to leave NTT canon. Where Donna's simple ties to WW and the Amazons were pretty important for her stories, so that run gets disrupted in the middle of its telling. I wouldn't say the WW property was mishandled by Perez overall at all, it was definitely a great set of stories and better than anything she had since Marston. But there isn't any real net positive to having her debut later than anyone else, and at least one component that got screwed up (Donna), so why even do it? His stories would have worked just as well if not better set earlier in the timeline. preferably, he might have been able to overhaul her franchise without doing a reboot at all. Like Simonson over on Thor.

COIE doesn't deserve all the blame and Perez specifically did a lot of overall good for the Wonder Woman IP, but it can't be denied there were some short sighted solutions that created long term problems that could likely have easily been avoided.We can't really complain about inconsistencies in DC comics and let COIE off the hook.

2010s

The books became unreadable garbage until Rebirth teased a return to good story telling but that was destroyed as soon as Dan was able, DC needs to follow the Archie formula. Mark Waid writing again is proof all should be replaced other than maybe a handful of artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    For the longest time it was the ‘90s for me.

But the 2010’s have really taken the cake and made me see the ‘90s weren’t really so bad after all.
    Same sentiments here, and there’s little hope for the upcoming decade either.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Easily the 2010s by a fair margin, even accounting for recency bias.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think you're exaggerating. Aside from the Troia costume, none of Donna's outfits were eyesores.

There were a few different Troia costumes. The first one made her look like a protege of Rainbow Brite rather than Wonder Woman. The second one was just plain blah.

Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

This decade is my least favorite, by far.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

2010 and 1990 are just the worst period of DC and Comic in general.