Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Which superheroes would actually be the most powerful in the DCU realistically.

I’d probably say magic users followed the Flash. Martian man hunter is way more powerful then he is usually shown.

Firestorm's transmutation powers

Green Lanterns

BANNED

The moment you mention realism, you eliminate all the powers that real science cannot explain, magic, reality control, powers like that are left out, so the most powerful would be cap atom type heroes.

Whoever the fastest Flahs is.

Anyone who's a telepath.

Magic goes right out the window because "realism" and physics rules out anyone with physical powers. Flash? Runs right off the surface of the earth and bounces off the moon before imploding in the void of space. Superman? Cuts people to ribbons by catching them at terminal velocity, or watches a building collapse under its own weight when he tries to lift it. Nuclear powered heroes like Captain Atom and Firestorm? If they don't give themselves cancer and cook themselves alive within ten minutes, they're likely going to cook their entire city like a bad tv dinner.

If you try to apply real world science to these characters they become useless; most would be capable of only sitting around their homes, very carefully doing nothing. So the winner of this contest is anyone who can still go to their job; the psychics, possibly the shapeshifters or Lanterns.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

if by realistically you mean free of plot contrivances (so going full Zenkichi Devil Style) I would have to say Martian Manhunter. physically not many are matching him just due to sheer versatility, let alone brute physicality, and then he has the psychological advantage with his massively powerful telepathy. We saw what happened when he went Fernus, now imagine that situation free of plot convenience.

conversely, Batman is a mid-tier street leveler in this scenario and he loses to at least 4 or 5 of his own proteges.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-09-2020 at 07:24 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Realistically?

I don't know how to apply that concept to aurakles, lords of order, Shazam immortals, Amazons, and assorted aliens but the fun is in trying I suppose.

So maybe looking at the number of powers? I'm that case, it will be hard to topple classic interpretation of Maxima of the Royal House of Almerac. She was literally need to have dozens of distinct powers. Some were to tier in level like her force bubble and telepathy, others were a step down like superstrength and durability, while still others were mid-tier like her molecular manipulation which was limited to metals. But mid tier was like the lowest and she had DOZENS.

Another candidate would be Dr. Light, Kimiyo Hoshi. Her powers were cosmic and could be limitless in potential application though so many scribes just used her as a glow stick.

Next for consideration would be Halo, who was an actual cosmic being inhabiting a human body who could do a large number of things.

I suppose any of the actual Gods as defined during Perez/Berger run on WW but I am limiting it to mortals

BANNED

Martian Manhunter is not stronger than Superman strengthwise. Anyway there are bunch of reality control, energy & matter manipulation, time traveling superheroes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Anyone who's a telepath.

Magic goes right out the window because "realism" and physics rules out anyone with physical powers. Flash? Runs right off the surface of the earth and bounces off the moon before imploding in the void of space. Superman? Cuts people to ribbons by catching them at terminal velocity, or watches a building collapse under its own weight when he tries to lift it. Nuclear powered heroes like Captain Atom and Firestorm? If they don't give themselves cancer and cook themselves alive within ten minutes, they're likely going to cook their entire city like a bad tv dinner.

If you try to apply real world science to these characters they become useless; most would be capable of only sitting around their homes, very carefully doing nothing. So the winner of this contest is anyone who can still go to their job; the psychics, possibly the shapeshifters or Lanterns.
    I think this thread isn't really talking about "realistic" but rather "internally consistent."

I'd say any person that can break the light barrier.

Mighty Member

I suppose an omnipotent magical hero like the Spectre, but super speed goes a long way to, so you could also say Superman, the Flash or the magically endowed Captain Marvel.

With the exception of omnipotent characters, I really don't see how anyone can defeat the Flash, once he is running that is no way of stoping him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    With the exception of omnipotent characters, I really don't see how anyone can defeat the Flash, once he is running that is no way of stoping him.
    Yes, I don't think that there are more than about 30 or 40 DC heroes who can kill the Flash, or at least completely get away from him. Not like Kryptonians can fly up 90,000 feet, way beyond his ability to notice them, and fry him from above and behind. Or that pretty much any character who can fly or swim, or go underground, can simply get away from him. Or...the GLs, who can do the same thing the Kryptonian could, or magic types who could wish him away, or J'ohn, who can do all sorts of things to Flashes. I mean...a lot of his Rogues aren't exactly challenges to the League, yet can trouble him.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Martian Manhunter is not stronger than Superman strengthwise. Anyway there are bunch of reality control, energy & matter manipulation, time traveling superheroes out there.
    i don't think anyone claimed he was, but regardless he's still in the ballpark. Superman's regular punch isn't oneshotting Martian Manhunter, especially when he's being written like a character and not jumping up to solar-system levels of power due to plot contrivances because he's Superman.Superman probably still dies in a melee confrontation just off of range, flexibility, due to comparable physicality.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, I don't think that there are more than about 30 or 40 DC heroes who can kill the Flash, or at least completely get away from him. Not like Kryptonians can fly up 90,000 feet, way beyond his ability to notice them, and fry him from above and behind. Or that pretty much any character who can fly or swim, or go underground, can simply get away from him. Or...the GLs, who can do the same thing the Kryptonian could, or magic types who could wish him away, or J'ohn, who can do all sorts of things to Flashes. I mean...a lot of his Rogues aren't exactly challenges to the League, yet can trouble him.
    Unless the Flash is taken by surprise, he probably wins. He literally can move faster than most characters can think. Take MM for example, his telepath is probably useless if the Flash is moving at lightspeed.

Kryptonians are usually second only to the Flashs, so they probably have the best chance against them, but they still are on disadvantage, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Except there are beings of comparable speed who are way more durable and way more difficult to neutralize.