Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default What is going on with Miles’ memory of the Ultimate Universe?

He seems to have forgotten the Ultimate Universe up until very recently, although he seemed to remember everything earlier in Spider-Men 2 and Venom. Is the explanation that he lost his memories after 616 Miles travelled to the Ultimate Universe?

In the letter page of ASM, after Miles references Ultimate Peters’ death, we are told that Miles is slowly remembering things after Ultimatum revealed he was 616 Miles in Miles’ book. However, we have also been getting flashbacks of Miles as a child in 616, then being told that some of Miles earliest memories are actually his 616 counterpart memories, etc.

So Miles somehow has a childhood history with both the Ultimate and 616 universe now, with both being canon. Things get more complicated since the Ultimate Universe still exists, but that can be explained since the Fantastic Four after Secret Wars were off bringing back old worlds. He also doesn’t seem to remember 616 Miles as well.

This will probably all be explained, I’m just wondering how Miles remembered everything after Secret Wars, then seems to start to slowly forget after Spider-Men 2, and now, though he is remembering again, shares early memories of 616 Miles, although he also has canonical childhood memories in the 616.

Also, we know all of Miles events probably still happened in the reborn Ultimate Universe, because Ultimatum brings back Uncle Aaron’s original 1610 Prowler Mask from the reborn universe.

(Off topic, but Taskmaster is wearing a really strange outfit during Spider-Men 2, which seems to slightly resemble Ultimate Taskmaster? This is never explained, could just be a cool new suit though)

All that confusion aside, I’m really enjoying Miles book right now because I love alternate universe stories! Will Uncle Aaron ever get to meet Hobie Brown? I really think that would be an “aha” moment for Aaron where he would realize he never even realized there was another Prowler, which would of probably tipped him off that he wasn’t from the 616.

editorial incompetence
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

When do retcons ever make sense?

He always remembered some things in connection to Spider-Verse, but he only got his full memories back a couple of issues ago. Prior to that he didn't remember villains like his world's Green Goblin, nor things like his mother's death (which Gwenpool mentioned to him, he was confused because she's alive due to Secret Wars and he didn't know she was resurrected). The flashback scenes in the annual showing him around the time of Secret Invasion are false memories and didn't actually happen.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He always remembered some things in connection to Spider-Verse, but he only got his full memories back a couple of issues ago. Prior to that he didn't remember villains like his world's Green Goblin, nor things like his mother's death (which Gwenpool mentioned to him, he was confused because she's alive due to Secret Wars and he didn't know she was resurrected). The flashback scenes in the annual showing him around the time of Secret Invasion are false memories and didn't actually happen.
    It’s strange because in an earlier issue of the current run of Venom, he does remember his moms death and that’s why he’s scared of Eddie. Also I reread some issues and it seems that the longer Miles is away form the Ultimate universe, the more he forgets, which 616 Miles explains, so that cleans up things a bit. The annual was not too long ago, so it’s strange how it would retconned so quickly.

The annual was before Ahmed's run started. The intent of the annual was to retcon Miles's origin, but Ahmed instead chose to actually use Bendis's original backstory and take advantage of the fact he'd revealed 1610 was back in Spider-Men II, which the current storyline is a direct sequel to. The Venom issue you mentioned is more recent than that too, and certainly long after the Gwenpool issue I mentioned, so he probably remembered it later. Heck, maybe Gwen triggered that memory!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The annual was before Ahmed's run started. The intent of the annual was to retcon Miles's origin, but Ahmed instead chose to actually use Bendis's original backstory and take advantage of the fact he'd revealed 1610 was back in Spider-Men II, which the current storyline is a direct sequel to. The Venom issue you mentioned is more recent than that too, and certainly long after the Gwenpool issue I mentioned, so he probably remembered it later. Heck, maybe Gwen triggered that memory!
    Thanks for the explanation, that actually clears a lot of things up.

Incredible Member

Bendis and Marvel really screwed the pooch with this. What they should have simply did, was just start from scratch again with Miles in the 616. Since Ultimate universe is back, then the Miles we read about all those years prior could still exist in the Ultimate Universe.

They could have used Spider-Island as a great way to introduce Miles into the 616. His backstory could have been that due to some genetic abnormality, after being “cured” from the Spider-Island event, the 616 Miles retained altered Spider abilities (the electricity and invisibility). Heck, they could have went the route of letting 616 Miles have organic webbing to differ from Pete.

It’s sad that one Animated Movie and two PlayStation games have done better with Miles origins than two different comic universes.

Can anyone explain how exactly was Miles transition from the Ultimate Universe into the 616 one? How?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Can anyone explain how exactly was Miles transition from the Ultimate Universe into the 616 one? How?
    He gave Molecule Man a hamburguer during Hickman's Secret Wars, Molecule Man was thankful, and once Reed was fixing the universes, Molecule Man let Miles go to 616 with his supporting cast.

Man it sounds dumber when actually talking about it lol.

Molecule Man was starving for years by the way, Miles was the only one who gave him food, which is why he did that for Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    He gave Molecule Man a hamburguer during Hickman's Secret Wars, Molecule Man was thankful, and once Reed was fixing the universes, Molecule Man let Miles go to 616 with his supporting cast.

Man it sounds dumber when actually talking about it lol.

Molecule Man was starving for years by the way, Miles was the only one who gave him food, which is why he did that for Miles.
    ....This is sarcasm right? You are joking?

If I said I was joking, I'd be lying.

https://i.imgur.com/SRoKKqV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QAwGIcb.jpg

(Secret Wars#6)

https://i.imgur.com/ucAtbQN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UJVI1OM.jpg

(Secret Wars#9)

So yeah, it was like that lol.

As YouTube personality Bob Chipman has wisely observed; "Comics. Are. Weird!"
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

"Because Comics"
    ~ Comic Drake, 2020

also, if I recall correctly, that hamburger was in his pants for a week or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    "Because Comics"
    ~ Comic Drake, 2020

also, if I recall correctly, that hamburger was in his pants for a week or something...