Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mark Waid writing Superman story in Death Metal tie in

Possibly another sign that he’ll be taking over a Superman book after Bendis leaves.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That really is a promising looking start... from like, no Superman anything in 16 years.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'll be surprised if he'll not take over Superman in March.

Btw, looks these panels are from his short story with Manapul in The Last Stories of the DCU:

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I guess we won't find out who's taking over until March (or April?) solicits.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Possibly another sign that he’ll be taking over a Superman book after Bendis leaves.
    Not a fan of this series. Not a fan of darkness!

Can’t wait. Anyone else think that woman may be Ma Kent? Would love to see Waid and Manapul together on a long term Superman project!

I’ve been thinking about Waid and about who will be on the main books next. Originally the big roadblock to Waid taking over one of the mainline books is that he 1. Believes the secret identity is integral to how Superman works and 2. Is not a fan of the marriage. So I would think he’d prefer an out of continuity Superman book where he can write his preferred status quo without the current marriage, outed, Superdad. But if DC is relaxing continuity and letting writers do what they want, then I could see Waid taking over one of the main books and writing a Superman that basically carried on from Birthright. I do think he must have some Superman project in the works, and luckily for us Waid has already written a Superman origin (Birthright), a Superman “death” (Kingdom Come), and even a Superman turns evil story (Irredeemable), so it won’t be one of the three cliches lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I guess we won't find out who's taking over until March (or April?) solicits.
    Yeah December when we get March solicits will probably be the reveal. Unless it’s a big name then they might reveal it a little bit earlier.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So let me get this straight. They brought back the kents to only kill them?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    So let me get this straight. They brought back the kents to only kill them?
    Nah I’m just speculating. We don’t know who that woman is, she might not be Ma Kent. There’s no guarantee they’ll be dying again. But Waid believes the Kents should be dead, although he’s also written an origin where they live to see Clark become Superman (Birthright), so who knows? If say Taylor were to get a Superman book (ugh) the Kents would be alive because that’s what he prefers. If the Kents do die in Death Metal it doesn’t mean anything, they’ll get revived at the end of this event along with everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nah I’m just speculating. We don’t know who that woman is, she might not be Ma Kent. There’s no guarantee they’ll be dying again. But Waid believes the Kents should be dead, although he’s also written an origin where they live to see Clark become Superman (Birthright), so who knows? If say Taylor were to get a Superman book (ugh) the Kents would be alive because that’s what he prefers. If the Kents do die in Death Metal it doesn’t mean anything, they’ll get revived at the end of this event along with everything else.
    Kents serve no purpose other than fluff. Even taylor uses him for that and generating sympathy when he kills them. I wouldn't surprised if they decided to get rid of them.

If you ask me, the earth parents thing has always felt a bit ham-fisted.First the character is taken to an orphanage by motorcyclist and then taken in by the kents??? I think it might have been an editor suggestion.i firmly believe, at first they wanted a more grounded story with the character.i mean, hugo danner and erb stories are pretty grounded Especially tarzan. Then when demographics was accounted for, they added in the kents in superman#1. I suppose for the younger demographics it works. Anways, Best modern origin story i like the most is with hernan Guerra.Motorcyclist origin will always be my preference.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-10-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can’t wait. Anyone else think that woman may be Ma Kent? Would love to see Waid and Manapul together on a long term Superman project!

I’ve been thinking about Waid and about who will be on the main books next. Originally the big roadblock to Waid taking over one of the mainline books is that he 1. Believes the secret identity is integral to how Superman works and 2. Is not a fan of the marriage. So I would think he’d prefer an out of continuity Superman book where he can write his preferred status quo without the current marriage, outed, Superdad. But if DC is relaxing continuity and letting writers do what they want, then I could see Waid taking over one of the main books and writing a Superman that basically carried on from Birthright. I do think he must have some Superman project in the works, and luckily for us Waid has already written a Superman origin (Birthright), a Superman “death” (Kingdom Come), and even a Superman turns evil story (Irredeemable), so it won’t be one of the three cliches lol.

Yeah December when we get March solicits will probably be the reveal. Unless it’s a big name then they might reveal it a little bit earlier.
    I actually believe it is Lois. This are the "Last Stories of the DC Universe" afterall, so I can see they doing something like encapsulating Superman whole life.

I can see it now. Mark Waid relaunches Superman with the return of the Super Mullet

Astonishing Member

I'm now convinced it is Lois. Also thrilled the Super Mullet is making a comeback, albeit, a shortened one, lol.

Lois doesn't have blue eyes,though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I actually believe it is Lois. This are the "Last Stories of the DC Universe" afterall, so I can see they doing something like encapsulating Superman whole life.
    Capullo posted a pic of Lois & Clark together in Death Metal and Lois still looks “normal” so I don’t think that’s her. But that would be a great story! I don’t think anyone has ever done that story, Lois dying of old age and how Clark deals with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'll be surprised if he'll not take over Superman in March.

Btw, looks these panels are from his short story with Manapul in The Last Stories of the DCU:

The mullet looks really good here.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Lois doesn't have blue eyes,though.
    Colorists have gotten eye color wrong in the past.