BANNED

Default Your Top 5 Favourite Alfred Hitchcock movies

As a cinema fan who has spent some of my time in lockdown catching up with the golden age of Hollywood cinema, Alfred Hitchcock is a brilliant genius. He deserves all the praise he gets. this is one director/writer that was definitely not overrated, I am constantly blown away by all the twist and turns of his plots, the style of his movies and the way he uses actors.

Here are my top 5 best Hitchcock movies

Rear Window
    Vertigo
    Spellbound
    Birds
    Psycho

Tough one.

Strangers on a Train - Love the twist on a Faustian bargain
    North by Northwest - His masterpiece, I think, where he melded genres and just had a perfect cast
    Vertigo - Flawed by some measures but still a masterpiece
    Notorious - Its Ingrid bergman, come on!
    To Catch a Thief - Grace Kelly's best film

Its weird to have a list without Rear Window, Psycho or Lady Vanishes, which are my runners up.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-10-2020 at 11:51 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

North By Northwest
    Spellbound
    Rebecca
    The Lady Vanishes
    To Catch a Thief

Retired

Hard to think of only five, but I guess my favourites are the ones with Grace Kelly, Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. Out of those I'd say my five favourites would have to be--

NORTH BY NORTHWEST
    REAR WINDOW
    VERTIGO
    TO CATCH A THIEF
    DIAL M FOR MURDER

--the top three are kind of tied for first place.

The Birds (1963)
    Notorious (1946)
    Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
    Strangers on a Train (1951)
    The Manxman (1929)

In no particular order:
    -- The Man Who Knew Too Much (the '56 one with Jimmy Stewart)
    -- Psycho
    -- Spellbound
    -- North by Northwest
    -- Vertigo

I've seen all of Hitchcock's American movies, and many from his British period. To me, picking a favorite Hitchcock movie is like picking your favorite piece of gold in Fort Knox.

However, in a lot of ways I like Hitchcock's 1940s movies better than his 1950s ones. For example, North by Northwest is a fun film, but it really is the prototype for the empty-headed summer blockbusters that would take over cinemas decades later. Lots of set pieces that are designed to be eyecatching, but really make little sense.

Some of my favorites are:

- Rebecca and Foreign Correspondent, both from 1940. Hitchcock entered the American movie scene with a bang with these back-to-back classics.

- Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

- Notorious (1946) - my favorite of Hitchcock's 4 films with Cary Grant. Grant and Ingrid Bergman were great together, and the elevator shot to the close up of the key is still a masterwork. Self-plagarized later in Marnie, and it worked then, too.

- Rope (1948) - one of Hitchcock's single-set movies, and one of the best. The conceit of making the film look like a single continuous take works better than you'd think.

- Dial 'M' for Murder (1954) - another single-set flick (ok, maybe two sets), but just so watchable. Doesn't get old for me.

- Psycho (1960) - shot with his TV series crew, it gave Hitchcock yet another career highlight, and not just for the shower scene. I loved the interplay between Perkins and Leigh in their few scenes together. Psycho doesn't really get enough credit for its acting.

More than 5, I know, but oh, well.

In general, I like all of Hitchcock's films to one degree or another, but his comedies like The Trouble with Harry (1955) weren't really my thing.

For me, Marnie (1964) was Hitchcock's last great film. The remaining four (Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy, Family Plot) were ok, but not great. It was obvious that his best days were behind him.

But with so many classic films to his credit and his own identifiable style, Hitchcock is really deserving of being considered one of the greats.

Retired

I believe that I've seen every Hitchcock--although it's been a few decades since I watched all of them. There was a course that I did at the university on Hitchcock, where we watched nearly every one, and we had a book for the course about Hitchcock that went into the production of each movie. And then after that, my local video store had every Hitchcock film for rental, so I did a big watch-a-thon of every movie from the silents right up through FAMILY PLOT.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In descending order for me:

1) Psycho
    2) The Birds
    3) North By Northwest
    4) Vertigo
    5) Rear Window
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!