Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default X-Men characters from TV who never made it/ were underused in print

I’ve been rewatching the old cartoons while bored in Covid land, and a few characters stuck out that I am curious why they never made it into the printed comics. We talk a lot about lack of diversity in lead roles, especially
    Black male characters not catching on.

Two characters I’d love to see appear in some capacity in the comics:

Storm’s son, MjNari
    Abilities: Super speed
    In the cartoon, he was instrumental in defeating The Shadow King. Having a direct link to Storm automatically gives him story potential.

04DC965E-314D-4D71-B96E-5B6A05F8740B.jpg

Spyke
    Abilities: Exterior bone growth and projection
    This character from X-Men: Evolution was popular to kids in the early 2000s and with mainstream appeal, he could have made a smooth transition to printed media. Should they “Firestar” him and bring him into the fold?

24A7148A-41AA-4A7D-823C-6E3B002CC54F.jpg

What are some other characters from TV/ film spinoffs, or from the toy line you wish had taken off in the comics? Another huge missed opportunity is Bishop’s sister, Shard especially since she was intended to be a main team member in the later Animated series episodes.

54A7BA7A-B89E-4E05-9F26-A2F51C01281F.jpg

Discuss your favorite unused or underused characters in the X-Men line.

Spectacular Member

i loved shard <3

Never knew that Shard was intended to join the main team in the animated series. Interesting!

I'd love to have Spyke In the comics, he was my favorite xman growing up next to Wolverine.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I'd love to have Spyke In the comics, he was my favorite xman growing up next to Wolverine.
    I think Quill was thje 616 alternative for Spike. He was killed by the Purifiers and so far not resurrected.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Buff and Refrax from the Generation X TV movie, then I'd be satisfied.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I think Quill was thje 616 alternative for Spike. He was killed by the Purifiers and so far not resurrected.
    Quill's powers are more related to being a human porcupine with the side ability of launching his thin quills. While Spyke's powers involve differently sized razor sharp bone lances.

There were also 3 other Quills total in the X-men comics predating the New X-men character, a mutate from the Captain Britian series, a member of the Resistants formerly Mutant Force (unknowning henchmen of Red Skull) and some arena fighter from the X-Treme X-Men storyline The Arena.

The closest to a counterpart of Spyke from Evolution was The Spike from X-Statix.

Also keep in mind Spyke's powers were original the secondary ability to a bone carapace, which was first dropped before production started and later re-added to the character when he got written out of the main cast. Later he also got the ability to set his spears on fire which seems to fall into the "secondary powers with no reason" category like Emma Frost's diamond form.
    So that got added to what defines the character's powers beyond just spear throwing.

I guess the main reason Spyke never got a direct addaption to the comics is that his powers aren't particular new or interesting, there is allready a semi-well known character with similar powers around, he was rather unpopular with fans of X-men Evolution and his relation to Storm has not much room to get established in the comics. Leaving very little reason to bother with him over creating newer characters.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I can't remember all the original TV mutants tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Shard was great and I would love to see her coming back into the comics strictly as a holoform or like "Professor" was for Cable but for her brother. They can't actually have her in physical form as they have no dna for her.

MjNari would be a great addition as the X-Men have only a few functioning speedsters right now (namely the Beaubier twins). I think the only downside is that over the years, with the exception of Kitty, Storm has been given links and ties to her in the form of a future daughter and others for nothing to happen. An adopted son through Kenyan best friend might be different, but I'm not so sure.

Spyke - Hard pass. He was great for the time and medium he was in, but we have Marrow. She's already underutilized as is, we don't need the TV version of her taking more space. While I understand and agree we are in need of more characters of color in comics, I don't know that he's on my list to bring in right now.

Videoman (Francis Byte) from Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

Lightwave (Aurora Dante), Iceman's half sister, from Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends.

Last edited by Lonewolf36; 11-12-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Gah please not spyke
    GrindrStone(D)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Spyke is "Hello, fellow children" personified.

Just push Marrow for the bone fetish people and any other New X-Man character.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

I'd love to see more black characters but Spyke was annoying back when he was new and if they give the X-Men any more teen/adult children I will scream. Storm is like 30 at an absolute maximum.

Spyke was a horrible character on his own, and his relationship to Storm made zero sense. If Ororo was an only child orphaned in Cairo, and grew up in Africa, how does she have a sister in America with a teenaged son? The show never even attempted to explain this.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I dont know why they chose to have Storm be an Adult instead of a Teen like the others....likely the writers had no idea how to write teenage black character? This is evident with Spyke whose sh!tty persona was made worse when compared to how fleshed out/interesting other chars later became.
    GrindrStone(D)