Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Apparently this shouldn’t affect DC too much, but Jesus has ATT buying WB been a nightmare for anyone working there. You’re never sure what the hell is happening next.
    Yeah, that was kind of my impression after reading the article and letting it settle, even though I do expect there to be layoffs at DC as well. It's unfortunate, because not only do I think DC was able to weather the worst of it, and arguably was able to bounce back stronger than it was before, only for this to happen. In terms of day-to-day practices and what stories are being made, I think none of that is going to change in DC, at least not at this moment.

While the AT&T and Warner merger shouldn't have happened in the first, the silver lining is that now Warner Bros, and in extension DC comics, will no longer be run by a company that didn't really know how to run out. I know the AT&T investors will still hold stock in whatever this newly merged company with Warner and Discovery will be called, it doesn't seem like AT&T will no longer have a direct hand with managing Warner Bros. Media anymore. It has been no secret that AT&T was pretty incompetent in how to run Warner Bros, making rash decisions that didn't really involve any creatives or producers. They completely mishandled the launch of their huge streaming service and the only reason they were able to turn that around was thanks to the influences of those not directly from the higher-ups.

Maybe it is a little bit too optimistic to think DC Comics will remain unscathed, as I don't know how the leads at Discovery would view comics. Since Discovery is made up of members whose jobs are to produce and sell media to consumers, I have imagined they have a stronger grasp of how to handle their different media brands than AT&T, a conglomerate whose main purpose is phone services.

Incredible Member

It’s Official: AT&T and Discovery Detail Merger Plans

Discovery CEO David Zaslav to serve as CEO of the new company.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...mpression=true

So expect even more layoffs and shakeups if this deal goes through

So more management shakeups, more cancelled projects, more WB drama... can’t wait! On the bright side, this means more money for DC since they won’t be dragged down by their parent companies debt (AT&T)
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Seems like the new company will be spending 20 billion a year on streaming content! Bodes well for all those future DC, Wizarding World and Game of Thrones shows!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I am 99% sure we will see a BIG restructuring coming to DC, both in the comics and the TV/Movie division after the merger. We are also likely to see another reboot or big rebranding in the comics, be that reboot started by DC Comics themselves or another publisher Discovery licenses to make comics, who is to say.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 05-17-2021 at 09:14 AM.

I doubt Discovery will care about the comics anymore than WB or AT&T did.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I am 99% sure we will see a BIG restructuring coming to DC, both in the comics and the TV/Movie division after the merger. We are also likely to see another reboot or big rebranding in the comics, be that reboot started by DC Comics themselves or another publisher Discovery licenses to make comics, who is to say.
    I don't know if there is going to be a big restructuring. I figure there is going to be some restructuring due to the merger, as that's just how things go, but the same people in charge of Warner are going to mostly stay, at least based on how the news is given. Unless Discovery really wants to be an active part of DC Comics specifically, or that AT&T leaves someone behind to run this new Merged company and is a very hands-on approach, I just can't imagine big huge changes coming to Warner Bros, and extension DC, in the same way as when AT&T bought them.

Exactly.
    Last edited by transformers03; 05-17-2021 at 09:26 AM.

The comics are an ip and merchandising farm nothing more
    They generate so little money why would they care. That's why AT&T did the cuts that they did but left entities like CNN or TCM alone

Incredible Member

IGN's Julia Alexander posted this on Twitter :

Re: some of the questions I got about WarnerMedia & Discovery.

1) The sale includes some of Warner Bros. Interactive/Warner Bros. Games, but not all.

2) The sale does include DC Comics. So yes Discovery now owns DC Comics.

3) Rooster Teeth is part of the sale, yes.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Part of the problem is just how miniscule the Comics division is relative to the rest of Discovery. It would not surprise me to see Discovery outsource DC comics to one of the smaller publishers. If that happens, it does not make much sense for that company to continue what DC comics has been doing. The licensee would definitely prefer to reboot and start fresh.

Regardless, my post was worded poorly. I am more sure they will likely take the TV and movies in a new/different direction, most likely again attempting to ape what Marvel has done but this time with better people at the helm. But that is a project for years down the road. The merger still has to be approved, then it will take years to plan, so we would likely not see anything major for a long time.

Plus, I am not entirely convinced that Discovery is the final form of this new media company. Streaming is the future and it is a cut throat industry. It would not surprise me to see Discovery purchase, be purchased or merge with one of the other medium-sized players, like ViacomCBS or Comcast (or be picked up by Apple who is in the market for a media company).

DC is profitable so I hope that means they won’t kill the company. And owning the comics wholesale makes it easier for adaptions.

I’m sure they would like to reboot the film side and start over, problem is the film side is a mess. Reeves owns Batman, Superman is getting a weird Elseworld take, the rest are stuck in the Snyderverse/mainline.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

DC is profitable so I hope that means they won’t kill the company. And owning the comics wholesale makes it easier for adaptions.

I’m sure they would like to reboot the film side and start over, problem is the film side is a mess. Reeves owns Batman, Superman is getting a weird Elseworld take, the rest are stuck in the Snyderverse/mainline.
    Doesn't seem that Aquaman is stuck in the Snyderverse, as a matter of fact, Wan's movie is a repudiation of snyder, with hardly any acknowledgement of it, except just three words "you defeated Steppenwolf".

It's just another corporate merger
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    IGN's Julia Alexander posted this on Twitter :

Re: some of the questions I got about WarnerMedia & Discovery.

1) The sale includes some of Warner Bros. Interactive/Warner Bros. Games, but not all.

2) The sale does include DC Comics. So yes Discovery now owns DC Comics.

3) Rooster Teeth is part of the sale, yes.
    So just curious: Does Discovery still do REAL science of have they devolved into "My redneck cousin's huge family" type shows?
    Assassinate Putin!