Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    I'm guessing that DC Comics is beneath Discovery's attention at this point. The first article I read on this merger was on The Guardian, and they didn't even mention DC Comics or Batman or Superman. They did mention "Friends" and "Big Bang Theory". I thought this was a bad sign as they also mentioned layoffs.
    1) The Guardians article wasn't an official announcement made by Discovery or Warner Bros. It was a news article covering the merger between Discovery and Warner Bros. DC Comics wasn't mentioned because the writer chose to mention other properties from Warner. There isn't much to it to cause concerns about DC's future.

2) There was a video, I'm pretty sure it was a CNN video though not fully sure, but the CEO of Discovery directly mentioned characters like Superman and Batman. He seemed to be into the idea of owning those characters. You don't just merge with Warner Bros and not even consider their biggest movie property. Again I could be wrong with what video that was, but you can find the CNN video by simply googling "discovery and warnermedia cnn".

There's still a lot of unknowns, I get the trepidation, but there really hasn't been any new news to suggest something will go a certain direction or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    More proof that people want DC to be bought out by Disney!
    I do agree with my friend that if the animated and/or live-action rights are off the table I see little point in Disney ever buying the IP (if the chance arises). Disney is already dealing with the nightmare that is the Spidey movie rights with Sony.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yeah, the comics alone are no good to Disney. They'd want to be able to exploit them the same way as Marvel. Of course, if Disney did acquire DC's film and TV rights, the CW network would be pretty much destroyed, as half of it's lineup is DC, and Disney would move everything from there and HBO Max to Disney+! It's just never going to happen.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the comics alone are no good to Disney. They'd want to be able to exploit them the same way as Marvel. Of course, if Disney did acquire DC's film and TV rights, the CW network would be pretty much destroyed, as half of it's lineup is DC, and Disney would move everything from there and HBO Max to Disney+! It's just never going to happen.
    The CW shows are great at keeping DC heroes in the public eye. I think these shows are strong enough for any movies that "fail." And I don't think the DC movies have failed btw.

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    The CW shows are great at keeping DC heroes in the public eye. I think these shows are strong enough for any movies that "fail." And I don't think the DC movies have failed btw.
    I think the vast majority of CW shows are utter crap and far inferior to even the weakest Disney Plus offering but to each their own.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if a layoff or if he's leaving of his own accord but today was apparently Jamie Rich's last day at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Not sure if a layoff or if he's leaving of his own accord but today was apparently Jamie Rich's last day at DC.
    Well, I hope things bode well for his future prospects.

A few have congratulated him on a “cool opportunity” elsewhere so I think he’s just leaving of his own accord. Wonder who is in charge of his books now, he basically ran the non-Bat books line
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    A few have congratulated him on a “cool opportunity” elsewhere so I think he’s just leaving of his own accord.
    Yep, he's now Editor in Chief at Tapas.