Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cover Contest Nov 11-17: CONFLICTED

A deep thinker once observed that "Even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days." Yet another said "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day." That didn't stop people from looking at those clocks for the time, nor did it stop people regarding dog's asses...just because.

This week's theme will require you go against your instincts, swallow your pride, and perhaps need some deep soul searching to muster up some grudging acceptance:
    CONFLICTED

Choose a comic book cover from an artist whose work you don't usually like, possibly even hate, but this one time...it's kind of allright. Good, even.

This one requires we all work on the honor system. Like, it'll be hard to believe someone says "I don't like Alex Ross' work" and then posts the most gorgeous Ross cover we've ever seen and brings us all to tears. (I'm not saying it's impossible to dislike his work but, c'mon, play fair. Challenge yourself!)

And now for the RULES:
    1) Post One (& ONLY ONE) Cover that fits the theme of this Week's Contest!
    2) Cover must be from a Published Comic Book, Graphic Novel, or Collected Volume!
    3) Covers must be Posted before Voting Begins!
    4) Voting Begins 12 AM Tuesday PDT (3AM EDT) and Runs Until 12 AM Tuesday PDT (3 AM EDT)! (This is in US time)
    5) Vote by Posting the name in BOLD of the Poster whose cover best fits the theme or that you simply like the most! A vote need not be in bold, but it does make it easier to Count-The-Votes!
    6) The Winner of the Contest is the Entry with the MOST Votes after the Voting-Period!
    7) It's Okay to Discuss the Covers but if you Think Someone's Entry Doesn't Fit the Theme or Violates the Rules, you Don't need to Argue it in the thread, Simply Don't Vote for It!
    8) Plus: Occasionally Voting will Result in a Tie! The Person Who Started the Thread will do the Counting that Week will Usually call for a TIE-Breaking --Vote from Someone who has Not Yet Voted!
    9) AFTER the Tie-Breaker Vote, Voting Ends and the Winner is Declared by The One Who Started the Thread (or assigned surrogate) and Thus will do the Counting.
    10) HAVE FUN!

(I will post my entry later.)
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-11-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

I despise Michael Allred's work. The color never looks right. But he does a good job with Batman 66 covers.

Batman_'66_Meets_the_Man_from_U.N.C.L.E._Vol_1_6.jpg
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I am constantly conflicted and I care what you think
    I want my independence but I still want you with me
    Consistent contemplation like it is a new job
    I'll voice my own opinion just to prove that I'm never wrong

I've never been a huge Todd McFarlane fan, despite him having worked on some of my favourite titles like Infinity, Inc.. But I do have a soft spot for this particular cover:

The question is how many Liefield covers will be posted.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Okay, almost went with a Liefeld one I found 'okay.' But Kelley Jones wasn't really my cup of tea as his Batman covers always looked really weird to me and not in a way that I enjoyed. Some things he's done were cool, but even then, I found his characters weren't really on-model from one cover to another or from panel to panel in interiors. His work is very atmospheric though and during a quick search, I saw this one and totally love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That was totally who I searched for first. I actually found one where you can see feet, there weren't excessive lines, and it wasn't a disproportionate mess. However, it featured a character VERY similar to one of his and was pretty standard. I wonder if anyone will post it...

Sometime ago, through a previous Cover Contest Thread, I was introduced to Underground Comics. Some were okay, many I really didn't like the artwork. In particular, the works of Gilbert Shelton.

So I wondered, is there any cover art that he did that wasn't all that bad?

Well, here is one

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Artgerm's covers seldom speak to me: not only is there the extreme male gaze, the way the bodies look nearly interchangably, but also there is often a vacant and plasticky expression to them. But this one is a keeper.

«Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I was not a fan of Don Heck. He brought none of the dynamism the other Marvel artists had to the books. But I thought his Captain Marvel was a bit of okay.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Liefeld is way too easy a target, and deservedly so, but, I'll go in a different direction with my entry. This might be seen as heresy, but I never much liked Gil Kane's artwork which, for reasons I can't quite explain, was a turnoff for me, however, this cover has always been a favorite of his, probably because of the inking of Dave Cockrum.

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-11-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I never liked Vance’s style: the characters always felt too stiff, too stereotypical, not enough lively to me…

But I liked this cover, maybe it was the colors:

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I find the style of Scott McDaniel to be ugly, but this cover always appealed to me.

TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

That would be Allred for me, however, I couldn't find a single cover from him I liked either, so I had to dig deeper for this contest.

The second choice is Hugo Pratt. I can't stand the Corto Maltese comics. His art is sketchy and the story burns too slow for my taste. Pretty much it's the only series I skip reading in STRIPOTEKA and one of the less attractive ones in the Heavy Metal Magazine. I was looking for a half-decent Corto Maltese cover, but instead, I found this one, and I do like it. Quite a bit actually:

Last edited by Attila Kiss; 11-11-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Never been a Whilce Portacio fan, I usually find his work looks rushed, rough, poorly planned, and unappealing. But this cover he did for Wetworks #12 is really nice, so much so that I initially had doubts it was actually his.

Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

I was going to go w. JRJR, who’s art is, well fantastic of course, but has never wowed me (and he does a terrible Spider-man imho). Still, the guy does great covers. I can think of many that I like.

So, I’m going w. al Milgrom.
    I have never liked his art. As a kid I’d read books despite his art not because of it. I wondered if he’d done any covers I liked back in the day. It actually didn’t take long. Turns out an Iron Man cover I remember fondly was his.