Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I was planning to stick to the positive but screw it.

>Wonderful art!
    >An arm wrestling competition? Illyana didn't turn into the Darkchilde and kick Rhyme Weak-Rhyme's ass? Pssh.
    >The alternate realities Wolverine and Summoner went through as they fought were quirky and well illustrated. The Tron one especially caught my eye.
    >A Krakoa vs Krakoa drinking competition? A last minute substitution allowed in the Arakko vs Arakko battle? There are no rules here, just Saturnyne's whims and underlying plans.
    >Why was War shocked that she wasn't cleaving Logan's head clean off? She's WAR! She's supposed to know about the enemies arrayed against her, especially the most dangerous ones like Wolverine. She didn't realize he had unbreakable bones made from the same substance as Solem's skin? The Krakoans spent dinner finding out about their opponents, and I'm sure Summoner got the rundown on the main powers of Krakoa while there. Not knowing Wolverine has an adamantium skeleton is like not knowing that Magneto controls magnetism or that Storm hurls lightning bolts.

Favourite panels...
    w1.jpg
    w2.jpg
    w3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Saturnyne set up Wolverine to be drunk and have his power's messed with, implying the same thing will happen to Storm. But we see Death make a deal with Jim Jaspers. I think it's so Storm won't be poisoned, since he's sweet on her.

But I actually would like to see Storm fight drunk. Just image what havok she could wreak with little to know inhibitions...

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    Saturnyne set up Wolverine to be drunk and have his power's messed with, implying the same thing will happen to Storm. But we see Death make a deal with Jim Jaspers. I think it's so Storm won't be poisoned, since he's sweet on her.

But I actually would like to see Storm fight drunk. Just image what havok she could wreak with little to know inhibitions...
    Actually i'm pretty sure that he made that deal to also make sure that he got poisoned. Logan ate the sacred scarab after all.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Very divided opinions on these three issues. I’m in the “I loved them” camp. I was ready to be bored with characters just battling each other for 20 pages, but instead we got some variety and characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    So whoever wins the fight, it is still one point for Arakko? That's just not fair.
    Yes. Wolverine has made that claim several times in these 3 issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Very divided opinions on these three issues. I’m in the “I loved them” camp. I was ready to be bored with characters just battling each other for 20 pages, but instead we got some variety and characterization.
    Duuuude right? This isn't Star Wars or Highlander lol Liiiike do people not realize how kinda boring a swordfight is to read about? Lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Spectacular Member

Wasn't quite sure what to expect from the tournament as it started and I must say I for one am glad that the next 8 issues won't just be sword fight after sword fight. Like to see that some of the challenges will require a different skill then just who is better with a sword. Plus that gives a better chance of not having a large majority of the Champions dying and unable to be used in later stories.

Seems to me like Saturnyne is using the vagueness of the tournament to slowly whittle down the Akkoan's champions and possibly guarantee a Krakoan victory. Look at the current challenges and their results

Champions fighting Victor Result of the Battle
    Betsy vs Isca Arakko First victory to appease Arakko. Question if Betsy is really dead
    Cypher vs Bei Tie Potentially takes Bei out of the contest as she is now married to Cypher
    Magik vs Poog Arakkro Arm wrestling. No fear of harm
    Wolverine vs Summoner Krakoa Summoner is dead
    Wolverine vs Storm Arakko The two got drunk. Lost powers for a certain time period
    Solen vs War Krakoa War lost her hand
    Last edited by Basilisk; 11-11-2020 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Removing duplicate sentence

BANNED

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yes. Wolverine has made that claim several times ion these 3 issues

Duuuude right? This isn't Star Wars or Highlander lol Liiiike do people not realize how kinda boring a swordfight is to read about? Lol
    There is nothing boring about fights

What is boring is complete nosense contests, like a wedding from nowhere

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Cassara cemented himself as best X-Artist (along with Larraz) with this one.

Fantastic issue - one of my favorites of the entire event.
    Larazz is definitely top, love Cassara too, but I think Carlos Gomez ( I know he only did one issue XF#4 ) just edges Cassara for me .I just wish Laraz and Carlos did more X-Men titles.

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    There is nothing boring about fights

What is boring is complete nosense contests, like a wedding from nowhere
    For real, that kind of romantic seduction story could have easily been done through a swordfight.Just have Cypher be a complete novice ,have Bei beat him but inexplicably spare him and he doesn't know why...I mean you could take it from there in other issues but nah they shoved a wedding out of NOWHERE down our throats,instead of a swordfight? So disappointed

Yes. Wolverine has made that claim several times in these 3 issues

It depends how it is done, very creative use of powers as well as unique swordplay is very cool if done by someone who knows what is kinetically and aesthetically good. It would not obviously be mortal Kombat gory but it could be close to have a wow factor.I just don't think the artists and writers were creative enough.You could easily have fights with character dialogue and motivations expressed through the fight.With each round done the stakes would grow and so would desperation and machinations.Right now it is a let down no doubt about it,we had a wedding instead of a fight ,that should tell you something

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post

Lol maybe MJJ spiked Storms drink with some mojo for death.It wouldn't be beyond him to pull a move like that

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
    Wasn't quite sure what to expect from the tournament as it started and I must say I for one am glad that the next 8 issues won't just be sword fight after sword fight. Like to see that some of the challenges will require a different skill then just who is better with a sword. Plus that gives a better chance of not having a large majority of the Champions dying and unable to be used in later stories.

Seems to me like Saturnyne is using the vagueness of the tournament to slowly whittle down the Akkoan's champions and possibly guarantee a Krakoan victory. Look at the current challenges and their results

Betsy vs Isca Arakko First victory to appease Arakko. Question if Betsy is really dead
    Cypher vs Bei Tie Potentially takes Bei out of the contest as she is now married to Cypher
    Wolverine vs Storm Arakko The two got drunk. Lost powers for a certain time period
    Kinda disappointing that summoner the character with the most page time and set up is just killer with out any real closure to his conflict or his killing of rockslide just seems like a waste of time

Mighty Member

Every time i see a comic reader dunk on a possibility of a long fight. I just think "You have clearly never seen a well done fight."

Which makes sense, since you're reading comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Kinda disappointing that summoner the character with the most page time and set up is just killer with out any real closure to his conflict or his killing of rockslide just seems like a waste of time
    I didn't think Summoner really was killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Every time i see a comic reader dunk on a possibility of a long fight. I just think "You have clearly never seen a well done fight."

Which makes sense, since you're reading comics.
    I mean I read Hulk vs Skaar and Midnighter vs. Satan
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post

I think like you. Right now Arakko is gaining in points that have the value that Saturnyne wants to give them but he has really lost Solem and Summoner, War is mutilated and Bei has married Cypher.

I go even further: Saturnyne put Betsy against Isca because she knew that Isca was going to win for sure.

If you have an opponent who always wins, what you do is put someone who loses in a non-lethal way (that is, Betsy breaking into pieces).

Krakoa is winning in real points.

Ultimate Member

I didn't think Summoner really was killed.
    It would not surprise me if he summoned up a duplicate and sent it to die in his place, and is still lurking about.

On the other hand, someone had to die, and he's both suitably unlikable and part of an entire cadre of Summoners, making him the most replaceable of the Arakkoan/Amenthi faction.

In Marauders, Summoner tells White Sword that he plans that when he dies it will be just once.

But Summoner is a liar.

But in turn, there is yet another High Summoner who can replace him if they want the Summoner plot to advance. It can go in any direction.

Fantastic Member

This was kinda a mess. The wedding kinda setup that challenges would be out there. But this issue just jumped off the diving board. Magik versus Pogg...they had to go to upside down world for an arm wrestle. For the fate of the world. Oh boy. Wolverine versus Summoner should have been the feature of this issue. Could have been a real great fight. What we saw was nice but every panel was so tiny, we couldn't see a fight, just forms they were in. And no summoning, lies, or colony. Summoner was wasted. I would have to check the wording again, but I thought both this fight and Betsy's were to the death but applied differently.

Then challenges just get made all willy nilly like the drinking contest in which Krakoa is guaranteed a point, while Arrako has an internal battle for limbs. Clearly this tournament is made up and the points don't matter, but that makes the lead up feel like a waste.

Also, I feel Solem's fight could have been used better. Imagine a storm versus solem battle to the death, and then he calls Wolverine in as his champion!