Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I enjoyed this issue overall, but logical inconsistencies are starting to pile up and alter my suspension of disbelief.

1. Death paying off Jaspers - is this something for the future or now? Ie. Did he pay to get Logan drunk in a way that interferes with his healing factor? How would Death know to get Logan drunk to interfere with his healing factor? Logan already fought once (against Summoner). How would Death know that (A) Logan will fight again while he is drunk or (B) Solem's secret agreement with Logan would get triggered so Logan would have to fight? No one would know about this agreement aside from Solem, and Solem would have had to tell the Arrakoans (aside from War).
    Maybe Death didn't know Logan already fought Summoner (since War clearly did not know either) and so was poisoning him for his next fight, but somehow Solem knew that Logan had already fought and killed Summoner?

Or is this a bribe for something in the future?

2. Logan subbing in for Solem - makes sense in terms of the story beat, and how the tournament is kind of a no-win situation for the Krakoans. But Arrako (Solem) vs Arrako (War) only makes sense in this tournament with the foreknowledge that Solem would swap out for Logan. I get that Saturnyne knows almost everything, but the match up without Logan in Solem's place doesn't make a lot of sense. There is some handwaving about fighting against themselves, but still.

3. Solem vs War - since War couldn't cut through Logan's adamantium spine, its clear she wouldn't have won against Solem (who's skin is adamantium and thus he can't be dismembered by her sword). Since it has been established that War has wanted to kill Solem for the longest time, you would think she knows that has highly resistant skin (even if she doesn't know its adamantium), and so would have found a weapon that would be able to harm Solem (and thus ultimately harm Logan). Since she was introduced already having the fire sword, you would think that she is already prepared.

So far the first half of this event has been a smooth ride for me. But the issues this week is starting to make it a bit wobbly for me.

I am personally glad to see my theory that the 10 fights seem to be taking place each in a different Otherworld realm. Too much symmetry and world building to not use it.
    I kinda figured the paired fighters would be hunting each other through a realm to make the fight go longer.
    I read the Goku vs. Frieza fight in DBZ so obviously I don't mind a good long drawn out battle.

I like the wit and the magic trickster logic of Wolverine losing a fight "to the death" because... he lived. However it is a dad joke that is frustrating, too.
    Also the K v K and A vs. A "fights" were a good surprise.

I struggle to see how Krakoa wins 4 of the next 5 points, so I am preparing for even more shenanigans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It would not surprise me if he summoned up a duplicate and sent it to die in his place, and is still lurking about.

On the other hand, someone had to die, and he's both suitably unlikable and part of an entire cadre of Summoners, making him the most replaceable of the Arakkoan/Amenthi faction.
    My feeling is he died, but because he died in Blightspoke, that may be the problem ,it's like a hell of hells sorta, who knows what happens there.He may be recycled into a worse threat. At this point all I can say ,we've most likely not seen the last of Summoner

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I enjoyed this issue overall, but logical inconsistencies are starting to pile up and alter my suspension of disbelief.

1. Death paying off Jaspers - is this something for the future or now? Ie. Did he pay to get Logan drunk in a way that interferes with his healing factor? How would Death know to get Logan drunk to interfere with his healing factor? Logan already fought once (against Summoner). How would Death know that (A) Logan will fight again while he is drunk or (B) Solem's secret agreement with Logan would get triggered so Logan would have to fight? No one would know about this agreement aside from Solem, and Solem would have had to tell the Arrakoans (aside from War).
    Maybe Death didn't know Logan already fought Summoner (since War clearly did not know either) and so was poisoning him for his next fight, but somehow Solem knew that Logan had already fought and killed Summoner?

2. Logan subbing in for Solem - makes sense in terms of the story beat, and how the tournament is kind of a no-win situation for the Krakoans. But Arrako (Solem) vs Arrako (War) only makes sense in this tournament with the foreknowledge that Solem would swap out for Logan. I get that Saturnyne knows almost everything, but the match up without Logan in Solem's place doesn't make a lot of sense. There is some handwaving about fighting against themselves, but still.

3. Solem vs War - since War couldn't cut through Logan's adamantium spine, its clear she wouldn't have won against Solem (who's skin is adamantium and thus he can't be dismembered by her sword). Since it has been established that War has wanted to kill Solem for the longest time, you would think she knows that has highly resistant skin (even if she doesn't know its adamantium), and so would have found a weapon that would be able to harm Solem (and thus ultimately harm Logan). Since she was introduced already having the fire sword, you would think that she is already prepared.

So far the first half of this event has been a smooth ride for me. But the issues this week is starting to make it a bit wobbly for me.
    Well, Saturnyne already knew Logan and Solem's deal, Logan was already on the tarot card she shows.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

My take with regard to your observations

1.The only logical thing is the bribe is only for Storm and the future(most likely Death will fight her, and he probably spiked her drink to a) get her to like him or b) forfeit/throw the fight

2.Is definitely Saturnyne who knows all, she probably knew of Solem's deal ,I think she knows Logan can't be killed so she knew he would come out top, but saw that somehow in the future Solem may be a thorn in Logan's side and so she's playing the long game of having Logan annoyed by being outsmarted or seriously screwed by Solem

3.I think the fight was always meant to be against Logan so it is simply Logan's plot armour for the umpteenth time.Annoying especially since he is immortal , there are simply no stakes where Logan is concerned.However you are right she should have tried to get Muramasa herself.Maybe she is just arrogant enough to believe in her own sword, but then again if she was Solem's lover maybe she knew her power somehow affected him.So she figured she'd use that to her advantage ,but that is clutching at straws,bottom line her hubris and vengeance blinded her from being tactical.
    Last edited by Rev9; 11-12-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Logan's tendons are not adamantium, given enough time the fire would melt them and War would win.

It is Solem that War could not dismember. The only way to kill him would be to fry him alive but that does not count towards earning a point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Logan's tendons are not adamantium, given enough time the fire would melt them and War would win.

It is Solem that War could not dismember. The only way to kill him would be to fry him alive but that does not count towards earning a point.
    She was not using Muramasa so her sword would not go through Logan's neck vertebrae, and we all know Logan -as long as brain and brainstem are fine and well behind Adamantium shielding, he will always be fine.Maybe Death needs to look him in the eyes, short of a black hole,falling into the sun ,or shutting off Logan's healing permanently .I don't know what can do him in(I've never read his death stories...so enlighten me of possible ways)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    She was not using Muramasa so her sword would not go through Logan's neck vertebrae, and we all know Logan -as long as brain and brainstem are fine and well behind Adamantium shielding, he will always be fine.Maybe Death needs to look him in the eyes, short of a black hole,falling into the sun ,or shutting off Logan's healing permanently .I don't know what can do him in(I've never read his death stories...so enlighten me of possible ways)
    You drown him, his healling factor doesn't serve him for much if he can't breath.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    You drown him, his healling factor doesn't serve him for much if he can't breath.
    Does drowning kill him permanently though? Coz in Wolverine 5 he was frozen in an ice cube, which is drowning 'squared' and he still came back.Question is does drowning just incapacitate him?.. I don't think it kills him proper

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Daken drowned so I guess drowning could kill Logan and Laura.

Freezing in comics just prevents the victim from moving which is how Bobby never killed anyone.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Daken drowned so I guess drowning could kill Logan and Laura.

Freezing in comics just prevents the victim from moving which is how Bobby never killed anyone.
    But Logan was frozen in mid scream ,on one panel his mouth is wide open,that is total drowning and frozen water expands in volume, he should be absolutely dead.I don't think drowning kills him

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    This was kinda a mess. The wedding kinda setup that challenges would be out there. But this issue just jumped off the diving board. Magik versus Pogg...they had to go to upside down world for an arm wrestle. For the fate of the world. Oh boy. Wolverine versus Summoner should have been the feature of this issue. Could have been a real great fight. What we saw was nice but every panel was so tiny, we couldn't see a fight, just forms they were in. And no summoning, lies, or colony. Summoner was wasted. I would have to check the wording again, but I thought both this fight and Betsy's were to the death but applied differently.

Then challenges just get made all willy nilly like the drinking contest in which Krakoa is guaranteed a point, while Arrako has an internal battle for limbs. Clearly this tournament is made up and the points don't matter, but that makes the lead up feel like a waste.

Also, I feel Solem's fight could have been used better. Imagine a storm versus solem battle to the death, and then he calls Wolverine in as his champion!
    All your points are dead on, feels a waste of huge potential, at least if the fights were escalating in intensity, I mean they could show Magneto cleverly using his powers against Cotati, hell even Magneto not a hero ,Magneto fought the brotherhood briefly but excellently showed his prowess. Yet here we have arm wrestles, drinking games, and a wedding...Smh what a waste.Even the Isca fight was bs ,it wasn't even a fight ,lasted like 5 seconds no more..

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

But Logan was frozen in mid scream ,on one panel his mouth is wide open,that is total drowning and frozen water expands in volume, he should be absolutely dead.I don't think drowning kills him

You're trying to apply real life nonsense to comics. Freezing just stops movement.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Logan getting killed by being covered in adamantium would suggest he can be killed by drowning.

You can decapitate Logan, it has been seen on occasions, the space between each vertebra is NOT adamantium, it is ligament and soft. The problem is that War's sword was very thick and did not fit in the space between two vertebrae, so it got stuck.

We have seen many times that Logan can be dismembered, that is indeed a "weak point". But you have to go for the joints and act with precision or alternatively, use brute force and rip it off.