Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

That reminds me... I haven't actually read any Elseworlds... because my interest is the main canon because that's where everyone is... now that main canon is so chaotic, and you don't need to understand anything to get into Elseworlds... might as well start one...

At this point, I'd say yes. They often aren't constrained by what needs to be canon and can thus become a lot better. Of course, it mostly revolve around Batman in Elseworlds because he's the most bankable, but I think other gems like Nightwing : The New Order or Wonder Woman : Dead Earth are also quite good. Perhaps not to the level of The White Knight and Curse of the White Knight, but those two are just stellar works anyway, so it's unfair to compare other books with those I feel.

In fact, the best stories recently have been the ones not too constrained by what the rest of the line did (like RHatO since Rebirth - heck, even New 52; Aquaman -which was mostly left alone except during Snyder's JL since Rebirth, and probably other examples I can't think off).

Some of my favorite series at DC pre-Crisis, might as well have been Elseworlds: Arion, Amethyst, Warlord, Arak, Jonah Hex...
    They rarely touched the DCU.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That reminds me... I haven't actually read any Elseworlds... because my interest is the main canon because that's where everyone is... now that main canon is so chaotic, and you don't need to understand anything to get into Elseworlds... might as well start one...
    I cannot recommend Darwyn Cooke’s New Frontier enough!

I think it's a case-by-case basis, as always. I do find that I tend to like DC adaptations and "out-of-continuity" stuff more then the mainline comics.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I cannot recommend Darwyn Cooke’s New Frontier enough!
    Best thing DC's ever published.