Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    It's more that there's going to be an upcoming shift to the future kinda sorta. The exact mechanics have been vague. And dumb. And contradictory.

But until then! Rebirth is still the current continuity.
    I feel like these words could have been used about DC continuity every couple of years since Flashpoint came out.

And for the likes of Hawkman, Donna Troy, Captain Atom, and to a lesser extent Aquaman, even before that.

It’s like DC hit continuity with a big stick until it shattered, so they kept hitting it in the hope they could hit it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Golden Age Superman was throwing planets together so hard they made suns by the end of it, or something like that. People underestimate how powerful he became, I'm just making a note.

Anyway, Rebirth Superman is a combination of post crisis Superman's personality and New 52 Superman's oomph, so some of these distinctions are weird.

Regardless, if you consider Golden Age Superman's total run, he probably loses to him, he certainly loses to pre crisis Supes, he defeats post crisis Supes, who is the same effing guy as "Pre Flashpoint Superman" so I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make there.

Regardless current Supes beats him also. He beats New 52 Supes for having more skill and experience ultimately.

And then he stalemates with himself ;p

As a gauntlet even if you want to argue he makes it past 1, he loses to 2. So not that far.
    Should be mentioned that Rebirth Supes is a lot stronger physically than nu Supes based in his planet jumping feat, and maybe faster considering his moon repair feat.
    Last edited by Cody; 11-12-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quick question: so, Rebirth Superman is a combination of continuities, one of which includes post Crisis Superman. Post Crisis Clark is near light in reaction speed as I recall. Regarding Rebirth Clark, the general consensus on the forum is he is a planet buster in terms of strength, somewhere around Thanos level? What about speed? Does Rebirth Clark have some FTL reaction stuff? Cody mentioned a moon repair feat that I'm not familiar with (?).
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Quick question: so, Rebirth Superman is a combination of continuities, one of which includes post Crisis Superman. Post Crisis Clark is near light in reaction speed as I recall. Regarding Rebirth Clark, the general consensus on the forum is he is a planet buster in terms of strength, somewhere around Thanos level? What about speed? Does Rebirth Clark have some FTL reaction stuff? Cody mentioned a moon repair feat that I'm not familiar with (?).
    Here you go.

In terms of his other big speed feats, he can fly to other star systems, and perceive attoseconds.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    and perceive attoseconds.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

no

SMvsFL.

no

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

no

SMvsFL.

no
    I figured, since in context one attosecond was the difference between Superman being able to save someone from a bullet, and the person dying.

I figured, since in context one attosecond was the difference between Superman being able to save someone from a bullet, and the person dying.
    That’s going to need a lot of context to justify that statement.

From the point a bullet hits the skin, the amount of time it would take to break through that skin would probably be measured in microseconds.

Nanosecond reactions could probably stop a bullet that’s already piercing the skin from entering the body.

There are a billion attoseconds in a nanosecond.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

From the point a bullet hits the skin, the amount of time it would take to break through that skin would probably be measured in microseconds.

Nanosecond reactions could probably stop a bullet that’s already piercing the skin from entering the body.

This. Emphatically this.

Also, please see my breakdown of small increments of time as seen here. Attoseconds are on the scale of peak Wally West at his best. Superman has no business being in the same sentence as that unit of measurement.

I even cite the Superman bullet to head feat in there as being a load of shit in terms of attoseconds.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

The context is "Superman's flying towards a woman being held hostage, with a gun to her temple. Gunman pulls the trigger, internal monologue as Superman bemoans the fact that he's not going to get there in time. Woman resists, which according to the monologue buys her an attosecond, wand he's able to save her"

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

The context is "Superman's flying towards a woman being held hostage, with a gun to her temple. Gunman pulls the trigger, internal monologue as Superman bemoans the fact that he's not going to get there in time. Woman resists, which according to the monologue buys her an attosecond, wand he's able to save her"
    I've two issues with this.

First, given the picture shows her head movement opening up a small, visible gap between her head and the pistol - again, VISIBLE - gap, I would say that 'buying her an attosecond' is rather ridiculously underselling the amount of time it would give her.

Let's say it moves the barrel of the pistol 2.5 mm further away (a nice, tiny amount, maybe somewhere close to what we see in the picture due to the pistol being tilted by her head movement). Let's say the pistol round travels what he says - 830 fps, or roughly 250 m/s.

It'll take that .45 round ~ 0.000 01 seconds to cross 2.5mm.

That's not an attosecond. That's 10 microseconds. You need to go another 13 orders of magnitude down to get to an attosecond.

Secondly, he has the gun firing and a femtosecond later the bullet is rotating into the rifling. Okay. femtosecond is 10^-15. IF the bullet was travelling at maximum speed - 250 m/s - in one femtosecond it would cross 0.000 000 000 25 millimeters. That bullet hasn't even moved, and it is certainly not rotating into the rifling. And that's assuming it's already travelling at max speed, not accelerating from zero m/s along the barrel, pushed by the expansion of gasses. <- this is what is actually happening.

Writer doesn't have a clue what they're talking about; they're just throwing out Really Low Time Units™ because it makes Clark sound good.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Writer doesn't have a clue what they're talking about; they're just throwing out Really Low Time Units™ because it makes Clark sound good.
    Oh I agree, I was just giving the context because it was asked for.