Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Which Version Of Conner Kent Was More Fun To Read?

This one...:

And either of your choices was way better than this one...:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by riv86672 View Post

and either of your choices was way better than this one...:
    ahhhhhhhh! Kill it with fire!!!!!!????

Superboy, the Hawaii years, was by far the most fun. He was growing and learning, though certainly more than a little obnoxious at the start (actually, he grew by leaps and bounds just during his first weeks of life in Metropolis). He was improving as a person and as a hero. I enjoyed him having his own city and supporting cast (and I just liked Roxy and Dubb). I like him having his own powers that were different than Superman's. I liked his independence from Superman. I liked the idea of him learning who he was growing up to be and finding his own role instead of the Superman he was intended to be. Being more - himself - than just a replacement Superman that he was made to be. Finding and forging his own identity. Still had some of that in Cadmus time, but no Roxy, and I just didn't like the stories as well. Despite me not loving all the plots, the relationships in YJ were great - and there was that great scene with Cissie and the arrow.

I do not like him being slotted into Clark's old role as Superboy in Smallville. Do not like him having a Luthor as a big part of his life (also that diminishes Lex's lack of power and things going his way in that timeframe, which I really enjoyed). Do not like him having Clark's parents or Clark's powers. I feel those make his less distinctive, and forgive me, more of a Clark-clone. Plus, it's an absolute angst-fest. I understand the need for some angst, but I liked to see characters having fun, too.

The Kid. Its not even close. Although, that image of him post-resurrection was at least trying to rectify some of his Johns-era angst. But still, the Kessel original always has been and always will be the best interpretation of Kon-El.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I found both pretty compelling, personally .

Fun, that was and always will be the original series, that was my go to comic every month all those years ago.

Now Im happy he went thru the mini Clark stage, BUT I'm also happy he went thru the new 52 stage, just like I've liked the YJ and Titans shows versions,and the Smallville version, they all add layers and depth to a already awesome character.

This is why I've always pushed for a conner/kon that has a Lil something from all those above versions.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I like both versions. But, the original version feels thematically apt.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Metropolis Kid. Everything Johns onward pales in comparison.

Once he stopped wearing the jacket and switched to a t-shirt, it felt like all the fun was sucked right out of the character.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The Kid in the big city.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Excluding the New 52 travesty, I liked both pre-Flashpoint characterizations equally. I actually liked seeing the character mature. With that being said, the original Young Justice run is one of my favorite DC runs. Of course, I generally enjoy Peter David's writing a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    Excluding the New 52 travesty, I liked both pre-Flashpoint characterizations equally. I actually liked seeing the character mature.
    I love seeing characters mature. Which is what was happening in Hawaiii (or Manchester for Bart, to a lesser degree). Later SB got an entirely new personality, backstory, power set, and supporting cast. That's not maturing to me - it's soft reboot of the character. Like what happened to Aquaman when he became Orin. Or Supergirl for Rebirth. Or Power Girl. So many times. Sometimes characters just shift entirely when transitioning between writers and/or titles.

edit: Okay, "soft reboot" really is overstating it a bit. But still, it was not organic growth or maturing through experience. It was a large shift/retcon with a new writer. And, as I've already said, I was unhappy with some changes before that, and though it already wasn't as good as it used to be.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-14-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    The Kid in the big city.

Man, the Superman family is all over the place.

Extraordinary Member

I’m a bigger fan of the Kid, and in hindsight, I think that’s because Johns didn’t really transition to his version of the character... and because I think Weisman and co. did a better job with it in the Young Justice cartoon than John’s did in Titans or Adventure Comics.

I think the Kid matured more organically across his first run, particularly within the Kessel run and (sort-of) the Kelly run, and Young Justice featured a genuinely maturing and changing Conner for the T-shirt version.

I still like Johns’s version... but mostly just for his first few years in Teen Titans. The Silver Age nostalgia of Adventure Comics just wasn’t that interesting - you want to tell a story of Smallville, stick with Clark.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP