Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Default Death Metal: The last Stories of the DC Universe Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Mark Waid's Superman story in here was really good. This book was definitely worth checking out. What do folks think?

Really enjoyed it. I would be more than happy if this creative team took over a book.

It was good! A nice little character piece that shows Waid still has a solid handle on Superman.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I liked the clear distinction between how Superman chose to spend his time vs. how everyone else did.

It was a pretty solid story. Manpul's art remains awesome. It makes no sense in the context of Death Metal, there was no Earth for him to save and help like he does here, but Death Metal really isn't all that internally consistent anyways. I like how it settles the idea of Superman balancing his personal needs and the needs of everyone in a very Superman way via using time travel to help the world and spend his last hours with his family too. Still not sold on Waid coming back, but we'll see what this week brings as far as announcements.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Solid Superman. Nice to see Clark actually be intelligent and without having to ask Bruce to make a gadget for him.

Waid and Manapul didn't disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It was a pretty solid story. Manpul's art remains awesome. It makes no sense in the context of Death Metal, there was no Earth for him to save and help like he does here, but Death Metal really isn't all that internally consistent anyways. I like how it settles the idea of Superman balancing his personal needs and the needs of everyone in a very Superman way via using time travel to help the world and spend his last hours with his family too. Still not sold on Waid coming back, but we'll see what this week brings as far as announcements.
    I still would prefer Waid on Superman and someone else on Action. One of the Future State guys, Johnson, Watters, or Lewis would be fine. Having one person take over both books isn’t a good idea imo.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It was ok.It wasn't anything spectacular.Just superman saving people and going back to spend time with his family.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I still would prefer Waid on Superman and someone else on Action. One of the Future State guys, Johnson, Watters, or Lewis would be fine. Having one person take over both books isn’t a good idea imo.
    If Waid is doing some deep dive "it all happened" Hypertime type take on Superman, then yeah they should definitely have some sort of split or ideally, silo that off into some sort of prestige maxi-series or something. From all the research he's purportedly been doing, the idea of incorporating things like the costumed silver age Superboy take really hold no interest for me. From the announced new books it doesn't seem like the rest of the DCU is getting that sort of treatment from what I've seen. Birthright is probably my favorite take on the origin, but from what I've dabbled in with Waid's Marvel work over the last couple of years and it's been really hit or miss for me, with more emphasis on the miss side. He's basically another Bendis. Someone well past their prime, still capable of putting out good books, but equally capable of cringy nonsense.
    Last edited by Yoda; 12-09-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If Waid is doing some deep dive "it all happened" Hypertime type take on Superman, then yeah they should definitely have some sort of split or ideally, silo that off into some sort of prestige maxi-series or something. From all the research he's purportedly been doing, the idea of incorporating things like the costumed silver age Superboy take really hold no interest for me. From the announced new books it doesn't seem like the rest of the DCU is getting that sort of treatment from what I've seen. Birthright is probably my favorite take on the origin, but from what I've dabbled in with Waid's Marvel work over the last couple of years and it's been really hit or miss for me, with more emphasis on the miss side. He's basically another Bendis. Someone well past their prime, still capable of putting out good books, but equally capable of cringy nonsense.
    I think his Marvel work has erred more on the side of good to solid than an outright miss in my opinion, other than his Hulk run (and Champions to some extent), but I usually feel more satisfied with a Waid book than I am Bendis as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think his Marvel work has erred more on the side of good to solid than an outright miss in my opinion, other than his Hulk run (and Champions to some extent), but I usually feel more satisfied with a Waid book than I am Bendis as of late.
    If we get Dr. Strange or Daredevil Waid I think it will be great. If we get Avengers or his last Cap run Waid it will be inoffensive but boring. It’s only if we get Champions “how do you do fellow kids, let’s tackle the REAL issues” Waid that it will be awful. I’m holding out hope that like Rucka’s Rebirth WW return I will love Waid’s Superman if it’s indeed him. Damn we really are going to be waiting until Fri aren’t we? Unless they announce it tomorrow.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I liked the clear distinction between how Superman chose to spend his time vs. how everyone else did.
    Yeah I thought this was the coolest aspect of the story.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I def agree with this as well. Frankly, I would like to see Waid but not on both. Works better when there's a different voice for each book. As polarizing as Bendis is/was, if they had only given him one book at least there would have been another option.