Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Default World-Building Info Dump: Part Three

NIGHT FEVER OF 0022

While little could be done to prevent or treat those within the throes of the strange illness, the medical community had found enough common traits to make some form of progress. Identifying the symptoms has become household knowledge and while doctors could not do anything about the illness in general, they could treat the aftermath for those who had survived. The paranoia, anxiety, and brief hallucinations could now be dulled thanks to medication...

...that was until this recent flare-up; the same one in which your characters had endured. While some patients were able to be treated normally, there was a disturbingly amount whose minds were all but broken. Mental hospitals would be filled with choruses of those suffering as they shouted about the "Promised Land", "The Garden of Eden", and "Avalon".

Among those claimed, it is said that this outbreak was the direct cause of Johannes Joestar's death, yet he appeared to have shown no symptoms, having remained sane and coherent up until his last moments.

Question - Do we assume that some who had the Night Fever did not show the kind of symptoms you describe? Or not as extreme? Not all of those affected were JJ's kids or relatives, right?

Basically, trying to figure out how to translate what you wrote into what each of our characters experienced and went through. Also wondering just how widespread was this outbreak?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Question - Do we assume that some who had the Night Fever did not show the kind of symptoms you describe? Or not as extreme? Not all of those affected were JJ's kids or relatives, right?

Basically, trying to figure out how to translate what you wrote into what each of our characters experienced and went through. Also wondering just how widespread was this outbreak?
    Aside from Johannes, the symptoms of Night Fever are pretty noticeable for those who have it. While the traits are the same, the intensity seems to vary from person to person with the less extreme end of the scale similar to having a very potent flu while the most extreme end results in multiple organ failure as the victim's body burns itself out trying to fight something it does not comprehend.

While the initial outbreak was a worldwide pandemic, things have settled somewhat in that the following few outbreaks were nowhere as bad (which could be considered somewhat decent for an illness with an 80% mortality rate). As of the end 0016 P.I. when the last known flar-up occurred, the illness affected roughly 390,000 people (or 0.005% of the global population).

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Is night fever something that's catchable only once, or can someone get it multiple times?
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Noldere View Post
    Is night fever something that's catchable only once, or can someone get it multiple times?
    Only once, so far. Considering how it has managed to baffle scientists and doctors for over two decades, most people don't know what to expect from it. Public opinion is that it's typically a death sentence and if you do survive it, you become a loony.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Only once, so far. Considering how it has managed to baffle scientists and doctors for over two decades, most people don't know what to expect from it. Public opinion is that it's typically a death sentence and if you do survive it, you become a loony.
    And those who do catch it, survive, and don't lose their minds? How often does that happen?

And those who do catch it, survive, and don't lose their minds? How often does that happen?
    The "loony" part is the public misconception. As mentioned before, in most cases, the after-effects can be dealt with through medication which is why this latest outbreak is troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    I see...

In that case, since the PCs all caught it in P.I. 2022 (if I remember reading correctly), Hyou couldn't have caught it earlier.

Explanation B it is, then.

I see...

In that case, since the PCs all caught it in P.I. 2022 (if I remember reading correctly), Hyou couldn't have caught it earlier.

Yes. Aside from the very very few exceptions I've made regarding this, all of the player characters caught the recent batch.

I should be working, instead I made this. I figured that Wen might have painted something right after she recovered from the Night Fever and that it might have looked something like this.

Wens Painting 4.jpg

Note that I'm no artist, so assume it was done hastily like writing down a dream before the memory of it faded away. Look close for the hidden image behind the art.
    Last edited by Tami; 12-01-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Boris' mother in her younger days.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

I can't get anything to work right even in my head, so I think I'll just cut my losses here.

I can't get anything to work right even in my head, so I think I'll just cut my losses here.
    If you need help with something, just ask.

edit: I see you deleted your bio.
    Last edited by Tami; 12-01-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Preliminary Family Tree Info

[Johannes Joestar]

[Chiara Zeppeli] - Giuseppe (b. 6/18/12)

[Unnamed Mother] - Miguel (b. 10/25/13)

[Anastasiya] - Boris (b. 11/13/13)

[Lillian Jiang] - Jinghu (b. 6/12/16)

[Helen Hall] - Jamie (b. 4/15/18)

[Unnamed Mother] - Sandra (b. 8/12/18)

[Unnamed Mother] - Dafydd (b. 6/13/20)

[Unnamed Mother] - Suzie (b. 11/13/21)

----> PI
    [Unnamed Mother] - Lucy (b. 10/9/22)

[Unnamed Mother] - John (b. 4/30/24)

----> Unknown
    [Unnamed Mother] - Vivian (b. Unknown)
    Last edited by Tami; 12-03-2020 at 05:05 AM.

Preliminary Family Tree Info

[Johannes Joestar]

[Unnamed Mother] - Giuseppe (b. 6/18/12)

[Unnamed Mother] - Miguel (b. 10/25/13)

[Unnamed Mother] - Boris (b. 11/13/13)

[Lillian Jiang] - Jinghu (b. 6/12/16)

[Unnamed Mother] - Jamie (b. 4/15/18)

[Unnamed Mother] - Sandra (b. 8/12/18)

[Unnamed Mother] - Dafydd (b. 6/13/20)

[Unnamed Mother] - Suzie (b. 11/13/21)

----> PI
    [Unnamed Mother] - Lucy (b. 10/9/22)

[Unnamed Mother] - John (b. 4/30/24)

----> Unknown
    [Unnamed Mother] - Vivian (b. Unknown)
    Looked, and Giuseppe and Jamie both have named mothers (Chiara Zeppeli for Giuseppe and Helen Hall for Jamie).
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis