Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Being contrary implies that I hate it because other people like it which is false.
    If that is not the case and KLH is indeed boring then what qualifies as exciting ( besides Juggernaut)? One issue that I considered to be exciting and I liked more then almost anyone else was Marvel Team-Up Spider-Man and Red Sonja.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I certainly agree with your classic selections ( although I do include ASM 122 ( Death of the Green Goblin) with that comic), and Kravens Last Hunt. But What about The Death of Jean DeWolffe and Owl Octopus War for modern comics?

I also include ASM #122 in that listing.
    Also, I completely forgot about death of Jean Dewolffe, which is funny as I often think about a reprint of that GN.
    I'd go for that very easily.

I haven't read Owl Octopus war, so I can't really judge it.

In no specific order:

"Night Gwen Stacy Died": Signature story that redefined the franchise going forward, claimed to have ended the so-called comic book Silver Age, has been revisited and adapted time and again.

"Kraven's Last Hunt": Signature story that's consistently on "best of" lists and elevated Kraven's reputation as a character.

Ultimate Spider-Man's "Power and Responsibility": Beyond being a well-written expansion of the origin story, it set up and sold the most influential run in the franchise's modern day. The USM series has been the source material for petty much every adaptation since it's publication (e.g. the stuff that influences the non-comics readers' perceptions of things) and it all started here.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    If that is not the case and KLH is indeed boring then what qualifies as exciting ( besides Juggernaut)? One issue that I considered to be exciting and I liked more then almost anyone else was Marvel Team-Up Spider-Man and Red Sonja.
    That issue was fun, but the first that really comes to mind would be Spider-Man vs. Kingpin in Ultimate Spider-Man #12.

And the Juggernaut fight was indeed boring.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That issue was fun, but the first that really comes to mind would be Spider-Man vs. Kingpin in Ultimate Spider-Man #12.

And the Juggernaut fight was indeed boring.
    I separate out Ultimate from 616 because they are different characters ( although both are Peter). A current story that I find exciting is Marvel Zombies. Stories ( and not just comics) that you have no idea who lives and dies work for me, so do “Cat and Mouse” type stories.

Astonishing Member

No Amazing Fantasy #15 in the Holy Trinity of Spider-Man comics? I'd go with that, The Night Gwen Stacy Died and Kraven's Last Hunt.

"reads that have shaped Spidey"

Ok, well I assume this means stories that would describe Spider-Man to a new reader and at the same time classic stories that give us long-time readers a gold standard for the character.

-Night Gwen Stacy Died
    -KLH
    -Kid Who Collected Spider-Man

To me those three reveal the heart and soul of why Spider-Man is an interesting character. I'd almost include Master Planner saga, except KLH is a more modern take on the same concept and more influential now, I think.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.