Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Comics being for "nerds"

It is well known that comic culture is synonymous with "nerd culture." But do you think comics are still deserving of that? I mean comics have gotten dark (the new dare devil series straying away from that even, which is what the entire thing is based off of in the first place) so does that make it less "nerd"? Basically what I'm asking is a) do you think comics should still be considered nerd?" And b) why or why not

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Who cares? If you like something, it doesn't matter what others think.
    People have their biases. It doesn't mater how "dark" a comic is. If certain people think comics=nerds, they're still going to think that.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Amazing Member

That's not really what I'm asking though. I'm asking if comic book readers should still be under the label that we've been put under for for years

BANNED

Looking at the majority of people who produce and collect comics, I'd say it's safe to say that comics are still firmly rooted in it's nerd base.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagocats View Post
    That's not really what I'm asking though. I'm asking if comic book readers should still be under the label that we've been put under for for years
    I say reject the label.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

All-New Member

That depends, alot of people enjoy the movies but dont read comic books so i dont see that regard as nerdy, now i think you could be a "nerd" if you revolve your life 100% to comics, i see myself as a moderate nerd as i recently got into reading comics

Mighty Member

Comics are not nearly as "dark" as they were 15-20 years ago.

To my mind, "nerdiness" has more to do with the intensity of interest than the specific subject matter, and comic book fans have a pretty strong tendency towards the obsessive.

Extraordinary Member

The stigmas dying, its a load of BS now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    Looking at the majority of people who produce and collect comics, I'd say it's safe to say that comics are still firmly rooted in it's nerd base.
    Pretty much this.

I think it's probably still considered a nerdy type hobby, although as Expletive Deleted said, the intensity one has for the hobby probably factors in.

But it's also much more acceptable these days to have nerdy interests. Sci-if, fantasy, and comics are all so prevalent today that people aren't as judgmental about them as they used to be.

A vast majority of the comic book readers I meet in real life I would describe as being a nerd.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I always kind of think of fans as "geeks" as opposed to nerds. Like someone can be a sports geek or a comic geek or a movie geek. Nerds always struck me as more of a school related thing.
    Last edited by hawkeyefan; 08-18-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Lots of my friends go and see comic book movies, wear comic book t shirts and might burrow a graphic novel. None of them would have any interest buying floppies and I can guarantee you none of them would even know what "bag and boarding" is. Comics are for nerds, yo.

Edit - I think what I'm getting at is as soon as you collect comics, you are probably rightly or wrongly going to be considered nerdy
    Last edited by just another user; 08-18-2014 at 10:49 AM.

"Dark" comics intensify the nerdiness.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist