Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Power level doesn’t matter at all to me. Write good character driven stories. I love Wolverine because of his personality and not because claws pop out of his fists. Superman isn’t about a guy who lifts builds to me. He’s a guy with a wife and son juggling family life with battle evil day & night. Powers are meaningless. To me, comics are just about people who have strange jobs. Lol.
    Even Wolverine has been hurt by power creep though. When he first appeared he healed fast. Now he can litlerally be burnt away to nothing but bones and regenerate. It is ridiculous how far his healing factor has been pushed and it has hurt him as a character because he is basically immortal at this point which makes boring. It take out any tension in the story when you know the character can not even be hurt let alone killed. It shatters the sense of illusion your reading a good story. We all know he is never going to die, but to not even have the risk of being injuried then whats the point.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Power level doesn’t matter at all to me. Write good character driven stories. I love Wolverine because of his personality and not because claws pop out of his fists. Superman isn’t about a guy who lifts builds to me. He’s a guy with a wife and son juggling family life with battle evil day & night. Powers are meaningless. To me, comics are just about people who have strange jobs. Lol.
    I think skewing too close to stuff like this makes a character who wasn't meant to be mundane come across that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresin View Post
    Siege, asuka doesnt exust until shinji is beyond accomplished as a chad and becomes a part of his harem. Aka purified and join the light of shinji chadkairi.
    IDK, new movies are doing a good job of obliterating Shinji's "harem" so hopefully it won't end this way for Asuka (not when she has Mari)

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think skewing too close to stuff like this makes a character who wasn't meant to be mundane come across that way.

I don't think there ever was a time Superman could ever be accused of skewing too close to mundane problems. Even Smallville doesn't really fit this description. Not in later seasons anyway.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think there ever was a time Superman could ever be accused of skewing too close to mundane problems. Even Smallville doesn't really fit this description. Not in later seasons anyway.
    Mundane compared to non-superhero fiction, maybe not.
    Mundane compared to some of the stuff he and his mythos get up to...yeah, I'd say superhero juggling family life is pretty standard.

Mundane compared to some of the stuff he and his mythos get up to...yeah, I'd say superhero juggling family life is pretty standard.
    Perhaps more standard now than before but even then I don't think it's really that common.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps more standard now than before but even then I don't think it's really that common.
    Juggling was pretty normal back then if IIRC. It's the portrayal of them struggling that's fairly new.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Juggling was pretty normal back then if IIRC. It's the portrayal of them struggling that's fairly new.
    I think Spiderman did this for a while already
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is not true. Not even remotely

Writing powerful characters takes a different mindset. It is not about winning and losing, We already know the answer to that question. It is how to interestingly solve problems with the main character. Superman and Shazam don't struggle in today's market because they are powerful, They struggle because they are powerful characters who don't unleash their powers. There is literally a genre about characters being OP in manga/manhwa and pretty much all shonen main characters become ridiculously powerful. Both are extremely popular, Being powerful isn't detrimental to a story unless a writer puts a character way outside the competition they are supposed to fighting.

This brings me to Batman and Spiderman are raise to way outside of the competition they are fighting and then writers hit delete like we forget they can do these things. It might work for some of you guys but Batman runs around in powersuits all the time, Batman is shown to be Martial art God then Batman turns around and fights Joker, Riddler, etc who don't have a shot of beating him a fight. The only difference between Batman and Superman it is easier to accept writers downgrade him. But it doesn't work on me because everytime I see him get shot, poisoned by gas or fall off a building. I am like that would have happened if you had your powersuit on.

As I get older as comic book fan, I like strong continuity less and less. Because that is what force characters into these traps. Every story beginning, middle, and end. Trying to keep a story without an ending and characters at the same age forever has consequences. As businesses I get it but I don't forget that Batman goes up against Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva and Deathstroke in hand to hand. I don't forget that Batwing is running around suit that all Batfamily could be wearing, I don't forget that he has other powersuits. Batman is just as bad Superman in terms of power level, And if he isn't as bad as Superman in power levels then he is stupid.
    You can tell the story is more about the supporting cast then Saitama, by how little Saitama actually appears in the comic. Most story arcs in the manga revolve mostly around the other characters changing and growing, Saitama stays pretty stagnant through out. Most of the time when Saitama appears he’s doing something unrelated or only indirectly related to the main plot. Only at the end does he become a main player.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 11-20-2020 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    There is a reason why Batman and Spider-Man have eclipsed characters like Superman and Shazam. It takes a very skilled writer to get the best out of characters like Superman, but even a mediocre writer can get a passable Batman story onto the page. To me there is this weird phenomenon in comics where the more powerful a hero is the more infrequent the great runs on them are. I think it has to do with the fact that there are just more things out there that can believably challenge a street level hero (or even a mid tier hero) then a heavy hitter.

Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?
    That's why things like Kryptonite or weakness to the color yellow exist. It's been a consideration from the get-go.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

No he isn't. Not even close.
    a guy who doesn't know what he even is coming to terms with what he is that was his entire arc.He is based on edger rice burrough character tarzan,john carter..etc.I am tired of people telling me."Superman is not this or that".when the writing on the wall.(Granted,tarzan is a lot more adult.He actually tried to eat a person not knowing what he is.Superman is kiddified)
    jerry siegel cites both tarzan and john carter as key influences in creating superman/
    whenever i say something i have actual reading on .You come in with declarations of "No,he is'nt".It is far past tiring.If you don't like original interpretation of the character.That is fine.But ,Don't tell me what he meant or didn't.
    Fine,he isn't based on tarzan.What is he based on?What do you think were the influences that made superman into this

from this?

educate me.A character doesn't simply come from thin air.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-21-2020 at 12:25 AM.