Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Being to powerful is actually detrimental to a heroes storytelling potential.

There is a reason why Batman and Spider-Man have eclipsed characters like Superman and Shazam. It takes a very skilled writer to get the best out of characters like Superman, but even a mediocre writer can get a passable Batman story onto the page. To me there is this weird phenomenon in comics where the more powerful a hero is the more infrequent the great runs on them are. I think it has to do with the fact that there are just more things out there that can believably challenge a street level hero (or even a mid tier hero) then a heavy hitter.

Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    There is a reason why Batman and Spider-Man have eclipsed characters like Superman and Shazam. It takes a very skilled writer to get the best out of characters like Superman, but even a mediocre writer can get a passable Batman story onto the page. To me there is this weird phenomenon in comics where the more powerful a hero is the more infrequent the great runs on them are. I think it has to do with the fact that there are just more things out there that can believably challenge a street level hero (or even a mid tier hero) then a heavy hitter.

You're right-- It's easier to create relatable psychological drama or threats of physical danger at a lower power level. Intellect and teamwork also become more important.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-13-2020 at 03:48 PM.

cap, One Punch Man exists. manga has been making OP characters interesting since forever and they've been working just fine. Superman is one of the most overpowered characters ever, yet people still hold him up as the quintessential superhero with multiple landmark stories; and while I'm not a huge fan of Superman it's not because he's "too powerful". being too powerful is detrimental to storytelling potential if the person writing is a hack.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Well yeah, it’s why I enjoyed Byrne’s Post Crisis Superman so much.

One thing for me is that it's much easier to do big stories with less-powerful heroes than small stories with the most-powerful heroes. If the only way to kill the hero is the blow up the city (or planet), then you can't have threats to them without mass death and destruction. And, for me, that gets real old, real quick. Now, I do think you can do good stories without threatening the hero (as you can see in some older stuff), but those don't seem angsty enough for super-hero comics these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Well yeah, it’s why I enjoyed Byrne’s Post Crisis Superman so much.
    Still my favorite version-- Both the DCAU and Smallville representations were based on his interpretation.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    cap, One Punch Man exists. manga has been making OP characters interesting since forever and they've been working just fine. Superman is one of the most overpowered characters ever, yet people still hold him up as the quintessential superhero with multiple landmark stories; and while I'm not a huge fan of Superman it's not because he's "too powerful". being too powerful is detrimental to storytelling potential if the person writing is a hack.
    Saitama is actually the least interesting character in his own manga. The story usually revolves around the the characters around Saitama. Who for the most part are way less powerful.

Goku is the same way.

I think personally that’s just a measure of a creators creativity, sure Superman himself is near indestructible but that’s why his best stories deal with his more human characteristics. I think of something recently like Superman: up in the sky, it’s not about what Superman can take on (though he does get in a few fights), it’s about his spirit and character as he goes out of his way to save a kidnapped child.

It’s all about writing, and what can be done.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

It's not, you can write a story with "OP" character and still make them compelling. Strong abilities doesn't mean they'll have no possibilities for conflict(moral dilemmas, personality flaws, inability to protect everyone etc). It's when a writer isn't creative enough to write conflict outside of physical fights that it becomes detrimental to the story.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Saitama is actually the least interesting character in his own manga. The story usually revolves around the the characters around Saitama. Who for the most part are way less powerful.

Goku is the same way.
    Have you read the manga Firepunch? The MC is unkillable and can kill everyone but the story is interesting because of his morals change. Inuyashiki and Mob Psycho are similar.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    It's not, you can write a story with "OP" character and still make them compelling. Strong abilities doesn't mean they'll have no possibilities for conflict(moral dilemmas, personality flaws, inability to protect everyone etc). It's when a writer isn't creative enough to write conflict outside of physical fights that it becomes detrimental to the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think personally that’s just a measure of a creators creativity, sure Superman himself is near indestructible but that’s why his best stories deal with his more human characteristics. I think of something recently like Superman: up in the sky, it’s not about what Superman can take on (though he does get in a few fights), it’s about his spirit and character as he goes out of his way to save a kidnapped child.

It’s all about writing, and what can be done.
    Sounds like the more powerful a character is, the harder it is to make them compelling, which is why mid- and low-tier characters tend to have several more compelling stories to their name.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Sounds like the more powerful a character is, the harder it is to make them compelling, which is why mid- and low-tier characters tend to have several more compelling stories to their name.
    ^^^Agreed.

Extraordinary Member

You know I thought this thread was about how bad Bat-God stories are these days, imagine my surprise.

Short answer is, it is the writer not the character. Other people have mentioned books they liked, personally I felt both New 52 Superman takes were good and looked forward to them.

This. ^^^^

How powerful Superman is wouldn't matter if the writers did something else beyond have him fighting Luthor.

Look at Thor for example, Donny Cates probably made him the most powerful he have been in decades, bubt the story is still compelling because it's personal, and Thor is fighting against villains that actually can take him down.

I'd say just get better writers rather making characters more like Batman to make them easier for mediocre writers.