Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make your favorite non-solo hero a solo hero

I was just thinking of how many people want a certain character to get a shot as solo hero. When we're talking team heroes that haven't had that opportunity, though, I see a lot of grabbing from other titles/characters.

I think a hero needs their own supporting cast and their own villains. So that is the exercise for today.

Pick your hero (someone who had never had an ongoing solo title), and give me the set up. You cannot have other previously existing characters as supporting characters or villains (including organizations) unless they were created for a story for your character originally. That's the limitation. That's the creative aspect I want. How you are going to have your character work in a relatively stand-alone sense. What villains or mythology they will contribute to the DC universe, rather that just how they can use what's already there.

Occupation, location, general goals - what are they? If your character was depicted differently in various titles (and most have been), then which characterization works for you. In personality and powers.

There are a few characters I'd love to read ideas for. But I lack the creative skill to answer my own challenge. So I'm crowdsourcing the imagination part.

hmmm, are you allowed pre-existing characters that have significant relationships to the character? like, if you wanna do Bronze Tiger could you grab Vixen (but not her mythology) as a love interest based on there significant romance pre-Flashpoint?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    hmmm, are you allowed pre-existing characters that have significant relationships to the character? like, if you wanna do Bronze Tiger could you grab Vixen (but not her mythology) as a love interest based on there significant romance pre-Flashpoint?
    I guess it's okay. I mean, I haven't read those two (well, some of her, but none of him), and don't know the exact dynamic. I don't personally prefer downgrading other heroes to sidekicks/non-heroes, to be honest. But if they are both heroes, then it's not really a solo (more like Hawk and Dove, whoever they are at the time, though that's not really team, either, and is close enough to solo for rme) unless she's heroing off-panel on her own. Which is okay. Just don't turn a hero into a non-hero or demote them to a lesser status to promote your title hero and limit it only to those they have a previous substantive history with.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-13-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Astonishing Member

(Okay, I'll try.)

Donna Troy

Job: Photojournalist (maybe her own YouTube channel?)

Goals: Live her own life.

Powers: whatever she has now; I'm so tired of her being reinvented.

Main Villainess: Magda Drachwyck, reincarnated witch. (First Appearance: “THE DEMON OF DOG ISLAND.” The Titans battle a spirit trying to possess Wonder Girl. Teen Titans 34 August 1971)

Other Villains: updated, unused Wonder Woman foes (and there are a lot of them).

Other Villains: updated, unused Wonder Woman foes (and there are a lot of them).
    No, she needs her own villains.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    No, she needs her own villains.
    They would be hers. Diana hasn't fought these foes in decades. Does that count?

Name: Xiang Juan/Gloss

Goals: Defense against humans and demons who harm the people

Powers: Chi manipulation taught to her by the goddess Nuwa and other martial arts gods. She is a trained martial artist with super strength, speed, durability and control the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    They'd still be Diana's villains. You're better off making new ones for Donna if you don't want her to be seen as a second-rate Wonder Woman and that's not going to happen if she's picking up her sister's sloppy seconds. The O.P. clearly states you cannot use pre-existing characters for support or villains.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I've got your back. How about this for something different.

In other threads we've talked about Norse gods and Wonder Woman, and there is little interaction. Perhaps the Norse Gods are going to start making a move and they target Donna as a "precursor" to Wonder Woman, but they end up finding her to be a more powerful foe than anticipated.

It could be a different pantheon too, simply not Greek.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

In other threads we've talked about Norse gods and Wonder Woman, and there is little interaction. Perhaps the Norse Gods are going to start making a move and they target Donna as a "precursor" to Wonder Woman, but they end up finding her to be a more powerful foe than anticipated.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

If it's your taste, go for it. It's too copy-catish of Diana to me. Of course, I don't even like Diana dealing with Greek Gods as much as she does. I come down of the those against so much use of public domain villains. Partially because the name "Hera" or "Ares" will always bring to mind many different characters, as it were, in a way "Lex Luthor" won't, and partially because I just don't enjoy the mythology and magic stories that much. I also don't like the villains originally being after Diana. Because then they regard her as a stepping stone (if she turns out to be one they can't step on). I mean, unless you could come up with some way that after they beat her (which, obviously wouldn't happen), they wouldn't still have to take on Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I was just thinking of how many people want a certain character to get a shot as solo hero. When we're talking team heroes that haven't had that opportunity, though, I see a lot of grabbing from other titles/characters.

I think a hero needs their own supporting cast and their own villains. So that is the exercise for today.

Pick your hero (someone who had never had an ongoing solo title), and give me the set up. You cannot have other previously existing characters as supporting characters or villains (including organizations) unless they were created for a story for your character originally. That's the limitation. That's the creative aspect I want. How you are going to have your character work in a relatively stand-alone sense. What villains or mythology they will contribute to the DC universe, rather that just how they can use what's already there.

Occupation, location, general goals - what are they? If your character was depicted differently in various titles (and most have been), then which characterization works for you. In personality and powers.

There are a few characters I'd love to read ideas for. But I lack the creative skill to answer my own challenge. So I'm crowdsourcing the imagination part.
    Which characters would you want to read ideas for?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Which characters would you want to read ideas for?
    Vic Stone. Though I have read more of him (like Donna) and have firmer ideas of what I'd like for him to be. But unlike Donna (a world where her son didn't get killed), I think a good Vic series that would be to my taste is much more doable. I would shy away from making all his villains technology-based, though. No more than half, ideally. I liked the NTT version from way back before he started repeating his man-v-machine storyline. But factor in some nanite upgrades that let him phase his appearance either way. So that I actually have some ideas on, unlike some.

Bette Kane. I feel like she's been rebooted several times with several personalities and her histories, of course, aren't all compatible. She's not going to have any sort solo in the foreseeable future, IMO, but it'd be fun to have ideas what to do with her. But important to me not to retcon serious relationships/backstory with characters she really didn't know that well in the comics. I definitely lean towards some mixture of her pre and post COIE selves and not the newer military one. I also don't want weird crap retconned into her life before she became a hero (they do that to so many who initially had straight-forward backstories). I don't like "everything is connected" trope. Same goes for retconned trauma.

I keep wanting to get some ideas on Vixen, but most of the talk I see on her is just about her powers, which is the boring part to me. I really did like her depiction in her first appearance. A civillian supporting cast member (I so want more of those). I liked her intelligence. Oh, not having her civilian ID there while her superhero ID was is kinda basic, but a lot of heroes ignore that. And I liked her creating the circumstance she needed.

Wouldn't mind some grown Mal and Karen or Hawk and Dove series, but those aren't technically solo. ---Edited because they've had own title before, too.

Connor Hawke, but not as Green Arrow. Of course, he doesn't exist right now, but I said it could be out of continuity. Maybe he could have a civilian boyfriend. Like I said, I miss civilian supporting cast. But he has been a solo hero, so doesn't count.

If a grown Anita Fite joined A.P.E.S., would that count as a superhero? Because that would be fun. Occasionally have Ish show up. Give her her own partner. Maybe even have her go out as Empress when rules were in the way, but I'm not sure on that.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-15-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Mighty Member

Black Canary - break away from the Birds of Prey would be nice.

Zatanna - break away from JLD would be nice.

SKYROCKET
    Hero. Soldier. She represents the young generation of service -men and women. She wants to serve. However, she's protective of the Argo Harness tech that her parents developed and died for and doesn't want to see it weaponized or exploited. She's developed a mistrust of the US government, but an old superior officer whom she deeply trusts and respects enlists her as a military contractor for a special team to take down Scorpio - the terrorist organization that killed her parents. She'll have some supporting characters of regular troops who are her support. Scorpio will be built up as a big Hydra-like threat who has many plots and threats and people around the world. There will be intrigue where people are trying to steal her tech - which it will turn out has much larger applications than just her absorbing/redirecting energy. We can see her brush up against the likes of Captain Atom and Task Force X since they operate in the same world, though they usually stick to their own lanes. She'll run afoul of Leviathan and His/Their plans. She will be roommates with her former teammate Sapphire, a young runaway who wants to live a normal life to whom she has become a big sister figure and we'll delve into the origins of her powers which will lead to a confrontation with Cobra and even Star Sapphire (which will be fun since she and Carol Ferris are both pilots and Green Lantern was her inspiration to become a hero) and Captain Atom since Sapphire's metallic shell may have ties to one or both heroes. Skyrocket will maintain a relationship with Josiah Power who helps her maintain her harness and offers her a place for her to work on it as she continues to unravel the secrets of her parents' work and their notes, which will be a source for future storylines, other tech, other threats, etc.

In terms of the rules of the thread, Scorpio already existed, but they were established as part of her origin. (and they haven't been relevant in any way since) And is there anything against her having former teammates as supporting characters? They were all created together and part of the fun is showing that a hero has ties to others, rather than exist in a vacuum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-16-2020 at 11:44 AM.

BANNED

I'd use Ice from JLI. That would certainly be an interesting thing to brainstorm. I would have to really think about it for a bit if I wanted to do a really good job. I think I would call her Icemaiden because I think it sounds cooler and less plain. The name Ice works good when she's paired with Fire, because you get "Fire and Ice", but as her own hero, I think Icemaiden has a better ring. Besides, she could still be called "Ice" for short at times.

I think she'd be a fun character to work on.