Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hawkman is all done once again, what did we think?

Final issue is out, another Hawkman series is in the books. What did you think of this latest series?

Looks like they started out with really trying to clear things up on his origin towards the beginning, but after that was done, they didn't really know what to do.

I enjoyed it overall, but wished they would have tied him into the current DCU better.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Final issue is out, another Hawkman series is in the books. What did you think of this latest series?

Looks like they started out with really trying to clear things up on his origin towards the beginning, but after that was done, they didn't really know what to do.

I enjoyed it overall, but wished they would have tied him into the current DCU better.
    I really liked it. I'm not a huge Hawkman guy but i've tried to get into him before and this is probably the most interesting I've found the character. I wasnt as regular as I probably should have but now that it's wrapped I'm gonna go back and give it a holistic read to get a better feel. I absolutely loved the way they explained and expanded the reincarnation, although I don't like that it's supposed done now because I feel DC hasn't used it to it's fullest potential; but they could still remedy that by exploring more of their past lives in retrospect without the cycle ongoing. I liked that it ends with Carter and Shayera growing old together, but I really didn't like the twist that their now immortal and lived into the 40th century (iirc). that felt like a cheap and rushed way of ending the story after the cliffhanger of the previous issue. overall, initial impression I'd say it's probably gonna be like a 7 or an 8 out of 10 for me when it's all said and done.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I loved this run. It was very underrated. The art was phenomenal(Parsons looking at you). Lots of cool twist, turns, and guest-stars. This book shouldn't have been cancelled.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Had up and downs, but overall I thought it was one of the better Hawkman series.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

One of the best runs for the character. I really enjoy other ones, but given that this was one writer's vision, it does remain consistent and even tie ins couldn't derail that.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    One of the best runs for the character. I really enjoy other ones, but given that this was one writer's vision, it does remain consistent and even tie ins couldn't derail that.
    Agreed, as usual.

The Sky Tyrant/Infected stuff was worrisome but it navigated through it ok I guess. The book is up there next to Geoff Johns and Gardner Fox/Joe Kubert for HAWKMAN joints IMO. I love unapologetic weirdness.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-14-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I loved this run. It was very underrated. The art was phenomenal(Parsons looking at you). Lots of cool twist, turns, and guest-stars. This book shouldn't have been cancelled.
    ^^^Quoted For Truth.

One of the best things DC was publishing.

I really liked what they did with Hawkman, the reincarnation mostly make sense now, and it opened a lot of story avenues. Possibly umpopular opinion, but I prefer Pasarin to Hitch.

The only problem I see on this run, is that it ended too soon, Venditti most likely had bigger plans for the JSA, and I would like to see them.