Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    We've had over 2 decades of exposition dumps in place of stories because DC can't come up with a way to explain why the names Carter Hall and Kartar Hol sound alike.
    There was an explanation for this in the Hawkworld series. Katar's father befriended Carter when he was on Earth during WWII and named his son after him or something like that.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    My only gripe is that Vendetti didn't use the rogues more. I would have loved to see what he would have done with Gentleman Ghost, Matter Master, IQ, Lionmane, Monocle, Hummingbird, King Faraday, and Shadow Thief.
    This is literally my only problem I had with this series. Gone too soon.

They really need to stop all the reincarnation stuff. It becomes all the Hawks' books are about and no one cares.

If your entire series has to be about explaining the basic concept of the series to the readers, it's not a very good basic concept.

They need to just go back to there being a Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and a Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkwoman.

The Hawks work when they are a combo of a rom-com and a cop buddy comedy. He's a driven, by the book, stick in the mud. She's tough, but fun and outgoing. Together they fight crime. The end!

No plodding, heavy handed, will-they-won't-they, destiny quagmire.

We've had over 2 decades of exposition dumps in place of stories because DC can't come up with a way to explain why the names Carter Hall and Kartar Hol sound alike.

I agree on all this.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    There was an explanation for this in the Hawkworld series. Katar's father befriended Carter when he was on Earth during WWII and named his son after him or something like that.
    Yeah, all the inconsistencies and continuity missteps in regards to Carter/Katar and Sharon/Shiera/Kendra have been exhaustively explained and re-explained. There's no need to belabor it any further.

The struggles of the various Hawkman/Hawkgirl titles from the past several decades have had weren't about readers being confused with continuity, it's that the characters are too niche to support an ongoing series. Not every superhero needs to have an ongoing. Some are better suited to guest appearances, team books, and mini-series.

I still think they should have just made Kendra Shayera's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I still think they should have just made Kendra Shayera's daughter.
    Shayera's or Shiera's? Cause Hawkworld's Shayera would've been way to young to have an adult daughter.

Shayera's or Shiera's? Cause Hawkworld's Shayera would've been way to young to have an adult daughter.
    And who would be the father? Carter and Katar wouldn't for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Agreed, as usual.

The Sky Tyrant/Infected stuff was worrisome but it navigated through it ok I guess.

Almost lost me with that arc. In hindsight, it wasn't horrible, but I could have done without it. Over all, DC Comics is in the dumper for me, so it was nice to have one title that was dependable.

I meant for the New 52 reboot. Which, admittedly, is kind of pointless now anyway.

Extraordinary Member

So is the current status that the reincarnations go across time and space?

So currently Hawkman is Carter Hall is Katar Hol, reincarnated in the Thanagar body?

Hawkwoman is Shiera is Shayera, reincarnated in the Thanagar body?

Hawkgirl is Kendra Saunders, niece of Shiera. Human body (possibly once housed the reincarnation but no longer).

Is this all true?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So is the current status that the reincarnations go across time and space?

So currently Hawkman is Carter Hall is Katar Hol, reincarnated in the Thanagar body?

Hawkwoman is Shiera is Shayera, reincarnated in the Thanagar body?

Hawkgirl is Kendra Saunders, niece of Shiera. Human body (possibly once housed the reincarnation but no longer).

Is this all true?
    I think Kendra is still supposed to be a reincarnated Shiera as well.
    But it would be much better for her to simply be Shiera's legacy and free from the whole reincarnations angle. Having both Shiera and Kendra around at the same time as reincarnations of the same spirit is too confusing and adds nothing to the stories.

What baggage is that?
    The Hawkworld mini and the Hawkworld series that followed Is my personal favourite of all the Hawkman runs I’ve read...there was no “baggage” at all till action moved to Earth and John O started worrying about continuity fixes for some obscure reason.

In general Hawkman continuity has got so involved that I just wish each run just gave a brief outline of how it regarded origin of the Hawkman/woman used in that series and then forgot what happened in previous series.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

They really need to stop all the reincarnation stuff. It becomes all the Hawks' books are about and no one cares.

If your entire series has to be about explaining the basic concept of the series to the readers, it's not a very good basic concept.

They need to just go back to there being a Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and a Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkwoman.

The Hawks work when they are a combo of a rom-com and a cop buddy comedy. He's a driven, by the book, stick in the mud. She's tough, but fun and outgoing. Together they fight crime. The end!

No plodding, heavy handed, will-they-won't-they, destiny quagmire.

Considering the Johns and Venditti runs are among my favorites, hard pass. I love the Kubert stuff but Thanagarian Hawks just ended up being space cops which were overshadowed by Green Lanterns. Kind of a dead end after a fashion, though Hawkworld was dope.