Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    It seems like a sad attempt of apologists to retroactively blame the disappointing performance of FB on something other than the poor quality of the product itself. FB was doomed as soon as it proved to be crap, regardless of any outside influences.
    Didn't Fantastic Beasts come out well before Rowlings's posts? (I do remember people pointing out that saying Dumbledore was gay but going out of the way to hide that when writing the stories dealing with the would-be lover was a bad look at best, I don't recall Rowlings' bigotry really coming into focus and any amount of notable public vocal questioning if we should continue to support her at the time of her movies.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Lol, oh she's anti-human rights now?

Next time you're going to tell me that she eats puppies for breakfast.
    Donating to anti-trans groups is anti-human rights, yes.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Didn't Fantastic Beasts come out well before Rowlings's posts? (I do remember people pointing out that saying Dumbledore was gay but going out of the way to hide that when writing the stories dealing with the would-be lover was a bad look at best, I don't recall Rowlings' bigotry really coming into focus and any amount of notable public vocal questioning if we should continue to support her at the time of her movies.)
    If I remember correctly, there had been some fuss about Rowling making anti-Trans comments before FB came out. The more recent comments were her doing it again.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    If I remember correctly, there had been some fuss about Rowling making anti-Trans comments before FB came out. The more recent comments were her doing it again.
    Not only comments, but donations to anti-trans groups.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

It seems like a sad attempt of apologists to retroactively blame the disappointing performance of FB on something other than the poor quality of the product itself. FB was doomed as soon as it proved to be crap, regardless of any outside influences.
    I think the first one stands on its own very well. The sequel though is very, very busy. The problem IMO is that its basically Grown Up Harry Potter Proxys vs a Voldemort Proxy. If they're hell bent on telling the story of Grindelwald, why can't it be in a Dumbledore movie? Why does it have to be in, and now dominate, Fantastic Beasts? So to that end I'm annoyed they're keeping Grindelwald at all than I am he's getting recast.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Could be. I know there was some controversies over her prior, but I could't remember how many where regarding her character and how many where about her creative decisions (e.g. overusing "wordof God," trying to retroactively make her Harry Potter books more diverse by just saying they were more diverse, etc.).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I think the first one stands on its own very well. The sequel though is very, very busy. The problem IMO is that its basically Grown Up Harry Potter Proxys vs a Voldemort Proxy. If they're hell bent on telling the story of Grindelwald, why can't it be in a Dumbledore movie? Why does it have to be in, and now dominate, Fantastic Beasts? So to that end I'm annoyed they're keeping Grindelwald at all than I am he's getting recast.
    How Queenie was written was character assassination. First she was magically drugging her fiancé into being obedient and then she become a proto-Death Eater. She was a wonderful character in the first movie, now I have no sympathy for her plight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    True. Am afraid to say that the Fantastic Beast concept is left-field. Usually prequels tends to be about characters we have known quite well from the original movies. For instance Anakin Skywalker from the Star Wars OT or Bilbo Baggins from LOTR

Newt is not a character from the 8 movies, he is a footnote in the 8 books. The prequel should have been strictly about Dumbledore and his family

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    is a real shame. I mean this whole lawsuit with the Sun writing an article about him being a wife beater. So, the judge says it's substantially true and now WB lets him go? This is in regards to his personal life, not his work ethic on the movie. If he'd had bad behavior on the set and was warned multiple times, i'd get it. I loved when he was cast as Gindlewald and was really looking forward to him playing this out over the 5 movies. I guess he gets the last laugh with getting paid, but I'm sure he'd have rather finished the movies. And now, they're going to go with another actor which'll probably suck. I guess they should have stuck with Colin Farrell. But, really this doesn't make sense. Sean Connery gave an interview in 1987 where he made some comments about how in certain situations there's justification to hit a woman (which btw, I don't agree with). But that didn't make Brian De Palma want to completely reshoot The Untouchables or hurt his Oscar chances. Sean Penn when he was married to Madonna had incidences with the paparazzi, but again, didn't hurt his career. Again this whole thing was about his personal life not bad behavior on the set. Johnny should be reinstated back into the role.
    As a big fan of Johnny Depp and the Fantastic Beasts movies, it was disappointing to hear...but on the other hand, the failure of his defamation lawsuit has pretty much tarnished him as a spousal abuser.

I suppose what bothers me about the case is that we really haven't seen any hard empirical evidence that made the judge come to his decision. In short, was he simply relying on her verbal testimony and witnesses? Or were there medical records, pictures or something that is warranted for siding so strongly against Depp.

When Mel Gibson was excommunicated from Hollywood it was because there was hard verbal evidence that he was racist/Or at least using racist slurs. Although Johnny Depp hasn't helped his image with allegations of drug & alcohol abuse, and playing in a rock band, I haven't seen any empirical evidence (Smoking gun) to say that he is the main culprit at fault.

I have however seen verbal evidence of Amber Hurd admitting to abusing him, which makes me think she was part of the problem in a completely disfunctional relationship.

So I think we need to see the evidence from the court that swayed the judges decision before the public can decide to hang him out to dry.

Maybe Johnny Depp needs to retire from his acting career and enter the politics. The Republican Party, being the Party of Moral Values, could use a man like him.

Astonishing Member

I suppose what bothers me about the case is that we really haven't seen any hard empirical evidence that made the judge come to his decision. In short, was he simply relying on her verbal testimony and witnesses? Or were there medical records, pictures or something that is warranted for siding so strongly against Depp.
    It's not a criminal case. But from what it sounds like it was basically various witness testimony, plus presumably photos, texts etc.

I read a couple of descriptions from legal experts who were following the trial. Basically they weren't surprised at the outcome. Depp basically admitted to certain things, doing the drugs, sending the texts, drawing the graffiti in his blood etc. Her story (that these 14 incidents ended with abuse) seemed more likely than he doing all those crazy things and then drawing the line at hitting her. And that's basically what the judge saw here. Remember she wasn't on trial here, so whether she was also abusive or an instigator or whatever, we don't know.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It's not a criminal case. But from what it sounds like it was basically various witness testimony, plus presumably photos, texts etc.

I read a couple of descriptions from legal experts who were following the trial. Basically they weren't surprised at the outcome. Depp basically admitted to certain things, doing the drugs, sending the texts, drawing the graffiti in his blood etc. Her story (that these 14 incidents ended with abuse) seemed more likely than he doing all those crazy things and then drawing the line at hitting her. And that's basically what the judge saw here. Remember she wasn't on trial here, so whether she was also abusive or an instigator or whatever, we don't know.
    Well that is a shame then, Johnny Depp is one of my all time favourite actors, but I refuse to support anyone who is a spousal abuser. I simply want (and require) the solid empirical evidence and facts before I make a decision.

We do have audio footage of Amber Hood admitting to abusing him, which suggests they were both participants in a disfunctional relationship...but it's hard to have respect for Johnny Depp at this point, he has all the money in the world, and chooses to pee he life away with hedonism and drugs. Not what I would be doing if I was a multi millionaire.

Now that Johnny Depp is disgraced, I can sleep contently knowing that Amber Herd will resume her role as Mera in Aquaman 2.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Generally yeah, people had suspicions back then, but that's all they were. FB1 was the worst movie I've seen in theatres because it was a bad movie, I didn't even know the Notorious TERF J.K. Rowling had written it. Now that she's written the manifesto though she's tainted goods and trans people have gained so much ground in just a few years. Just look at what happened with the chad Eliot Page, the world welcomed his reveal and yet JK attacked trans men as 'women trying to escape patriarchy by becoming men.' Disgusting!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Maybe Johnny Depp needs to retire from his acting career and enter the politics. The Republican Party, being the Party of Moral Values, could use a man like him.
    Lol only problem is he's super Liberal. So you would end up with eccentric Democrat with substance abuse issues and accusations of assault. Basically Donald Trump before he jumped ship to the right and started with all the racists birther crap