Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    490

    Default Johnny Depp being let go from Fantastic Beasts

    is a real shame. I mean this whole lawsuit with the Sun writing an article about him being a wife beater. So, the judge says it's substantially true and now WB lets him go? This is in regards to his personal life, not his work ethic on the movie. If he'd had bad behavior on the set and was warned multiple times, i'd get it. I loved when he was cast as Gindlewald and was really looking forward to him playing this out over the 5 movies. I guess he gets the last laugh with getting paid, but I'm sure he'd have rather finished the movies. And now, they're going to go with another actor which'll probably suck. I guess they should have stuck with Colin Farrell. But, really this doesn't make sense. Sean Connery gave an interview in 1987 where he made some comments about how in certain situations there's justification to hit a woman (which btw, I don't agree with). But that didn't make Brian De Palma want to completely reshoot The Untouchables or hurt his Oscar chances. Sean Penn when he was married to Madonna had incidences with the paparazzi, but again, didn't hurt his career. Again this whole thing was about his personal life not bad behavior on the set. Johnny should be reinstated back into the role.

  2. #2
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    is a real shame. I mean this whole lawsuit with the Sun writing an article about him being a wife beater. So, the judge says it's substantially true and now WB lets him go? This is in regards to his personal life, not his work ethic on the movie. If he'd had bad behavior on the set and was warned multiple times, i'd get it. I loved when he was cast as Gindlewald and was really looking forward to him playing this out over the 5 movies. I guess he gets the last laugh with getting paid, but I'm sure he'd have rather finished the movies. And now, they're going to go with another actor which'll probably suck. I guess they should have stuck with Colin Farrell. But, really this doesn't make sense. Sean Connery gave an interview in 1987 where he made some comments about how in certain situations there's justification to hit a woman (which btw, I don't agree with). But that didn't make Brian De Palma want to completely reshoot The Untouchables or hurt his Oscar chances. Sean Penn when he was married to Madonna had incidences with the paparazzi, but again, didn't hurt his career. Again this whole thing was about his personal life not bad behavior on the set. Johnny should be reinstated back into the role.
    The difference is the Connery interview was in 1987 and it was only an assumption on some people's parts that he had actually hit a woman rather than making the point that psychological abuse was worse. It also helped him that the interviewer was Barbara Walters who was widely disliked and considered a biased interviewer to the point of having a discussion with someone else right after showing the Connery interview just so she could imply things about what he said without his being there and essentially tell the audience what he "really meant" by what he said.

    The Depp situation is current and something it seems he actually did. We are also in a very different culture where we have #MeToo and mass media to flood them with complaints and threats of boycotts and so on.

    I get your point that, although it's a horrible thing, it's not work related and becomes questionable if it should affect his job.

    However, it does raise the question of why the WB is taking a tough stance here but ignoring the Ezra Miller situation and keeping him on.
    Power with Girl is better.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    681

    Default

    I read in the daily mail. That since he worked ONE day. He get his full salary from the movie. 10 million plus.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    I read in the daily mail. That since he worked ONE day. He get his full salary from the movie. 10 million plus.
    Did they then mention the value of his house, by any chance?

  5. #5
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,008

    Default

    Well, now they are in talks with Mads Mikkelsen to replace him as Grindelwald, which I think is actually better.

    As for Depp, what sucks in this case was that he actually presented credible evidence that Heard was the abusive one in their relationship, which is why it was a surprise that the British court ruled against him. IMO, they were probably both abusive to one another, so if WB wants to fire Depp from Fantastic Beasts, they should also be firing Heard from Aquaman 2. Which they still may do, especially if the American courts rule in Depp's favor.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    490

    Default

    And Mads has the thankless job of replacing Johnny who already established himself as the character for two movies. Plus FB 1 pulled the bait and switch with Colin Farrell's character switching to Johnny's form. Now they have to do it again, which is a problem story wise. It's curious to me how the first movie was released in 2016 and I think before it came out, JK Rowling had announced it would be a five film series. Then not long after, Amber's allegations came out. Makes me wonder if it was a case of professional jealousy too along with the abuse.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    And Mads has the thankless job of replacing Johnny who already established himself as the character for two movies. Plus FB 1 pulled the bait and switch with Colin Farrell's character switching to Johnny's form. Now they have to do it again, which is a problem story wise.
    Maybe there won't be any explanation for the recast and it'll just be a new actor playing the role? It's not like they haven't done that before or that there needs to be an in-universe explanation.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  8. #8
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    23,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Well, now they are in talks with Mads Mikkelsen to replace him as Grindelwald, which I think is actually better.

    As for Depp, what sucks in this case was that he actually presented credible evidence that Heard was the abusive one in their relationship, which is why it was a surprise that the British court ruled against him. IMO, they were probably both abusive to one another, so if WB wants to fire Depp from Fantastic Beasts, they should also be firing Heard from Aquaman 2. Which they still may do, especially if the American courts rule in Depp's favor.
    What I know about the British court system wouldn't fill a thimble, but perhaps they simply refused to believe women could be abusive like men, thus the ruling against Depp. But yeah, from everything I've read about the case, there was enough evidence to show Heard was the villainess of the piece and should be pink slipped from Aquaman 2.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    7,122

    Default

    British courts tend to side with the women in divorce cases.

    So much so that they throw out pre-nups. So, itís not entirely surprising that they are siding with Amber Heard.

    That being said, I donít really have any sympathy for Depp. Yes, he was abused but it seems that both he and Amber Heard were acting like brutes. In addition, Depp got his full salary for the movie, so heís alright.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe there won't be any explanation for the recast and it'll just be a new actor playing the role? It's not like they haven't done that before or that there needs to be an in-universe explanation.
    Don't mention the change, and pretend the second film didn't happen.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Always thought it was a pretty awful choice for the role anyway. And yes, please, can we all pretend that this awful movie never happened and that it was all a nightmare of Colin Farell?

    Pleeeeease?

  12. #12
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    6,662

    Default

    Don't think the recent court ruling had anything to do with Amber Heard, because it was a libel case specifically between Depp and the Sun. Was there evidence that Depp had been libeled by the Sun or not? The court's answer was no. Which is full of implications, but not exactly the full story.

    In a way, its the worst kind of ruling for one's reputation, precisely because it only focuses on the one side. Any abuse Amber Heard did to make Depp act the way he did in response would be completely irrelevant to the case of whether what the Sun said about Depp was a lie or not. Its like going after the person who retaliates without considering the act that made him retaliate in the first place.

    I think Depp will be ok. As to the movie franchise, I don't really care because it seems almost like a train wreck waiting to happen anyhow.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,666

    Default

    Mads I think doesn't have the baggage of Depp (and also to a lesser degree) Ferell. He's played of course some really evil characters but by pretty much all accounts seems to be a decent guy in real life. I think the "Worst" thing he's done is frustratingly walk out of an audition for the Tim Story Fantastic Four (He was up for the role of Reed. Could've made a good Doom though...).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  14. #14
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    The entire Fantastic Beast """"""franchise"""""" should be shuttered, not only because those films are bad, but because they fill the coffers of JK Rowling, a notorious bigot and hate monger. It's time y'all get over Harry Potter.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few necks." - Wonder Woman, probably

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The entire Fantastic Beast """"""franchise"""""" should be shuttered, not only because those films are bad, but because they fill the coffers of JK Rowling, a notorious bigot and hate monger. It's time y'all get over Harry Potter.
    If half the stuff about Rowling is true and half the stuff about Depp is true, Depp is still much worse in my book. X-men franchise takes the crown, though

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •