Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The entire Fantastic Beast """"""franchise"""""" should be shuttered, not only because those films are bad, but because they fill the coffers of JK Rowling, a notorious bigot and hate monger. It's time y'all get over Harry Potter.
    I would not go as far as to claim JK is a bigot and hate monger. JK Rowling simply quoted the theory of biological science. She did not go about making malicious hate death-filled comments about transgenders, its sad with the way she has been treated that even Eddie Redmayne and the Hagrid actor had to defend her because of all the backlash she got.

It's time y'all get over Harry Potter.
    Harry Potter needs a TV Show on HBO Max. the movies skipped so many things, You will find more people likely to get over their new age mass manufactured comic book movies than harry potter. I truly think harry potter was a special series with a world of endless possibilities.
    Last edited by Castle; 11-17-2020 at 05:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    If half the stuff about Rowling is true and half the stuff about Depp is true, Depp is still much worse in my book. X-men franchise takes the crown, though
    Yes/NO with this one. Yes that I don't think there needs to be more X-Men movies after Logan since X-Men franchise has now gone to a studio of great limitations. However Harry Potter with WB opened more doors to explore many things. X-men doesn't.

The problem is WB and JK Rowling chose the wrong story to explore. The prequels should have focused on the medieval ages of the wizarding world with Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor and Slytherin in leading roles.

I have no bone to pick with Newt Scamander searching for fantastic beasts but his story does not need a hig budget fantasy adventure when there are far better story options from the Harry Potter Universe.

Depp may not have been my first choice for the role but I am sad he has had to quit when it was clear from all the affidavits and leaked tapes that both Him and Amber were abusive towards the other.

Eitherway, the 3rd movie is a make or break film. if it turns out bad, then its time to turn the lights off on the franchise
    Last edited by Castle; 11-17-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    If half the stuff about Rowling is true and half the stuff about Depp is true, Depp is still much worse in my book. X-men franchise takes the crown, though
    Bryan Singer alone please.. don't conflate him with the cast or films in the franchise he was not part of. I agree though he should never have been allowed to direct Apocalypse ,he simply slipped through coz the Weinstein scandal had not yet become public

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I would not go as far as to claim JK is a bigot and hate monger. JK Rowling simply quoted the theory of biological science. She did not go about making malicious hate death-filled comments about transgenders, its sad with the way she has been treated that even Eddie Redmayne and the Hagrid actor had to defend her because of all the backlash she got.
    Nah man, transgenderism is biological and wholly supported by the scientific community, including the American Psychological Association, the American Medical Association, and the American Psychoanalytic Association, etc. JK is on the wrong side of history.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Bryan Singer alone please.. don't conflate him with the cast or films in the franchise he was not part of. I agree though he should never have been allowed to direct Apocalypse ,he simply slipped through coz the Weinstein scandal had not yet become public
    I think the reason Bryan Singer was given X-Men Apocalypse was because of the success of Days of Future Past. It took a nosedive with the next movie and of course Dark Phoenix ended with a whimper.

BANNED

Bryan Singer is accused of sex assault of young boys. Depp is accused of physical abusing Amber. I don't think both acts are comparable, Singer is by light years worse.

The problem with Depp is that Amber is not all so innocent. Depp's ex partners, including Wyona Ryder gave sworn affidavit testimony that Depp never abuse them. Depp has dated many famous women including Kate Moss. this is the first time he was been accused of abusing women, that does say something about Amber, that removes her from the complete victim image she has been projecting on herself.

I took my time to listen to the leaked tape of Depp and Amber.

Amber comes of as a terrible person, she admits her own assault on Depp and goes as far as to tell Depp that no one would believe a 120 pounds woman like her could physically assault him even if she already did.

I have this feeling that if not for the me too and times up movement, the judge would not have let Amber off so easily.
    Last edited by Castle; 11-17-2020 at 09:20 AM.

I would not go as far as to claim JK is a bigot and hate monger.
    Indeed, she didn't say anything hateful, just stated her opinion. I'm no fan of the woman but it's getting real tiresome to see some people asking for blood at the slighest word they don't like.

Inquisition is supposed to be over.

Astonishing Member

I think the jury is still out on Heard, but I don't think they are going to let her go unless she loses the court case.

I 100% disagree with JKR's comments, and some of her comments on the lgbt community have been out of touch in the past--but it doesn't deserve cancellation, I'm sorry that's ridiculous. She's not being intentionally hateful, she's wrong and misguided and she needs to be engaged and corrected. Until she starts wanting to take away rights/making death threats etc, you engage and try to show her she's wrong. She's shown she has empathy, she just has a lack of knowledge on this particular issue. It's ignorance, not bigotry. The former can be engaged with.

Yah its hard to think of Rowling as being mean-spirited or willfully ignorant based on the sum total of her comments. Anyway its supposed to be ok to have opinions and everyone is entitled to be wrong about some things. Being wrong and then being corrected is how we learn.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I think the jury is still out on Heard, but I don't think they are going to let her go unless she loses the court case.

I 100% disagree with JKR's comments, and some of her comments on the lgbt community have been out of touch in the past--but it doesn't deserve cancellation, I'm sorry that's ridiculous. She's not being intentionally hateful, she's wrong and misguided and she needs to be engaged and corrected. Until she starts wanting to take away rights/making death threats etc, you engage and try to show her she's wrong. She's shown she has empathy, she just has a lack of knowledge on this particular issue. It's ignorance, not bigotry. The former can be engaged with.
    From what I've heard, a big part of people's issue with JKR is that she has been engaged on the matter but her reaction has been to double down on her ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Moai View Post
    From what I've heard, a big part of people's issue with JKR is that she has been engaged on the matter but her reaction has been to double down on her ignorance.
    Essentially, yes. She doubles down rather than attempting a meaningful engagement or to be educated. In addition, Rowling spreads misinformation to millions of people, which can be particularly dangerous to a group that is attacked and murdered at an alarming rate. Regardless of her intentions, her actions have a damaging effect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah its hard to think of Rowling as being mean-spirited or willfully ignorant based on the sum total of her comments. Anyway its supposed to be ok to have opinions and everyone is entitled to be wrong about some things. Being wrong and then being corrected is how we learn.
    This is true, sadly not everyone can be Kurt Russell who rather keep their political opinions to themselves.

One of the core strengths of the HP series, was relatability, equality, prejudice themes and strong emotional connections. Rowling created a derogatory term for muggleborn (mudbloods) that was suppose to have the same effective insult of the N word ,I don't just believe Rowling is now a mean spirited bigot that does not know what she is talking about to quote Katyln Jenner

I don't care that they fired him but be consistent. There's evidence she was abusive as well and also there's video of another actor staring in two of your franchises choking a women to the floor.

That said it sounds like the relationship was just toxic. Almost everyone who knows Depp came out and said the opposite about him then what Heard said. I just have to assume this was a toxic relationship. Doesn't excuse either behavior. But at least on Depp side doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Yes/NO with this one. Yes that I don't think there needs to be more X-Men movies after Logan since X-Men franchise has now gone to a studio of great limitations. However Harry Potter with WB opened more doors to explore many things. X-men doesn't.

The problem is WB and JK Rowling chose the wrong story to explore. The prequels should have focused on the medieval ages of the wizarding world with Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor and Slytherin in leading roles.

I have no bone to pick with Newt Scamander searching for fantastic beasts but his story does not need a hig budget fantasy adventure when there are far better story options from the Harry Potter Universe.

Depp may not have been my first choice for the role but I am sad he has had to quit when it was clear from all the affidavits and leaked tapes that both Him and Amber were abusive towards the other.

Eitherway, the 3rd movie is a make or break film. if it turns out bad, then its time to turn the lights off on the franchise

More to the point, it's still baffling how an eccentric wizard who collects strange and unusual beasts ends up tangling with the most dangerous wizard in the world at that time. If they wanted to tell the story of Grindelwald, they should have kept it to Dumbeldore and Grindlewald- at the very least because we already know how that story ends, with Dumbledore beating Grindelwald and getting the Elder Wand. So why should I care about Newt?

Astonishing Member

This is true, sadly not everyone can be Kurt Russell who rather keep their political opinions to themselves.

One of the core strengths of the HP series, was relatability, equality, prejudice themes and strong emotional connections. Rowling created a derogatory term for muggleborn (mudbloods) that was suppose to have the same effective insult of the N word ,I don't just believe Rowling is now a mean spirited bigot that does not know what she is talking about to quote Katyln Jenner
    People are complicated. They can understand bigotry is wrong in one sense and completely miss it in another, everyone has their blind spots. Harry Potter is a series which fits this dynamic, it has various inclusive things in the subject matter but it also has things like the house elves are ok being enslaved. That's why it was so puzzling to see Hermione's quest to free the house elves fizzle in-universe, I did not see the conclusion to that arc coming then never be mentioned again.