Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Favorite version and use for Morgan Edge?

I just like asking for more characters sometimes. While I'm aware of other appearances, including in other media, my only first-hand experience with the character is in the Superman family comics around the time Darkseid was introduced. I don't even know when he was a clone. I was thinking the clone bit was a retcon, but actually haven't read the revelation, so don't know.

Retired

I don't remember if evil Edge was described as a clone or if it was just an evil duplicate created by Intergang. I prefer to stay away from instant cloning--evil duplicate makes more sense in my comic book logic.

I also wonder if Jack Kirby ever intended for there to be two of them--with the other real Edge behind evil Morgan's mirror--or if that was E. Nelson Bridwell's idea. Since the double ploy was revealed within a year of the character's debut, can we call that a retcon?

But I'm okay with the evil duplicate as it keeps real Edge's hands clean. I prefer that he's a corporate snake, but there's also a lot of good in him. If he's evil like corporate Luthor, then it doesn't seem right for him to be in charge at the Planet for an extended period of time and having so much influence over Clark and Superman. He was one of the first admitted Jewish characters in the Superman family (that I know of) and it would be sad if that representation was wasted on an evil hack for Darkseid.

Characters that walk a fine line between dark and light are interesting--and that's what I think Morris Edelstein should do, ideally.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm certainly more fond of the precrisis version than his post crisis self.

Anyone remember the New 52 version that was introduced in the first few issues of George Perez's short Superman run? Aside from the obvious race swap,it seemed that version was being set up to be closer to the precrisis version,which I rather liked. Pity he disappeared fairly quickly.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

I've never been a big fan of Morgan Edge as a generic villain.

I much prefer a return to his pre-crisis self; and make him something like Verrick from "Legend of Korra" (eccentric yet charismatic). I'd have him as an arch-rival to Perry White; always trying to one-up the Daily Planet. He's a good person at heart; it's just that his actions can sometimes blow up in his face (I'd have it that he inadvertently is the cause of Superman villains Prankster and Livewire being what they are).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That to me sounds like JJJ and I think the creating a monster thing makes metropolis a little smaller when it's one source for several villains. They use Lex a lot for that but he's a more versatile character.

Of course, I like the post Crisis Edge with his minor threat. I think he's kinda sympathetic when they use Vinnie, like Morgan is a jerk and kind of dangerous... but not really a bad bad guy. His story in Superman #35 is one of my favorite "Superman" comics.

I do like early Bossman Edge, too, where he's like "find out about this hip new fad, Kent."
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thumbs up

I've never cared about the character that much thus I don't have a favorite version. I feel he is nothing more than a poor man's Lex Luthor.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."