Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite version and use for Morgan Edge?

I just like asking for more characters sometimes. While I'm aware of other appearances, including in other media, my only first-hand experience with the character is in the Superman family comics around the time Darkseid was introduced. I don't even know when he was a clone. I was thinking the clone bit was a retcon, but actually haven't read the revelation, so don't know.

Retired

I don't remember if evil Edge was described as a clone or if it was just an evil duplicate created by Intergang. I prefer to stay away from instant cloning--evil duplicate makes more sense in my comic book logic.

I also wonder if Jack Kirby ever intended for there to be two of them--with the other real Edge behind evil Morgan's mirror--or if that was E. Nelson Bridwell's idea. Since the double ploy was revealed within a year of the character's debut, can we call that a retcon?

But I'm okay with the evil duplicate as it keeps real Edge's hands clean. I prefer that he's a corporate snake, but there's also a lot of good in him. If he's evil like corporate Luthor, then it doesn't seem right for him to be in charge at the Planet for an extended period of time and having so much influence over Clark and Superman. He was one of the first admitted Jewish characters in the Superman family (that I know of) and it would be sad if that representation was wasted on an evil hack for Darkseid.

Characters that walk a fine line between dark and light are interesting--and that's what I think Morris Edelstein should do, ideally.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm certainly more fond of the precrisis version than his post crisis self.

Anyone remember the New 52 version that was introduced in the first few issues of George Perez's short Superman run? Aside from the obvious race swap,it seemed that version was being set up to be closer to the precrisis version,which I rather liked. Pity he disappeared fairly quickly.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

I've never been a big fan of Morgan Edge as a generic villain.

I much prefer a return to his pre-crisis self; and make him something like Verrick from "Legend of Korra" (eccentric yet charismatic). I'd have him as an arch-rival to Perry White; always trying to one-up the Daily Planet. He's a good person at heart; it's just that his actions can sometimes blow up in his face (I'd have it that he inadvertently is the cause of Superman villains Prankster and Livewire being what they are).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That to me sounds like JJJ and I think the creating a monster thing makes metropolis a little smaller when it's one source for several villains. They use Lex a lot for that but he's a more versatile character.

Of course, I like the post Crisis Edge with his minor threat. I think he's kinda sympathetic when they use Vinnie, like Morgan is a jerk and kind of dangerous... but not really a bad bad guy. His story in Superman #35 is one of my favorite "Superman" comics.

I do like early Bossman Edge, too, where he's like "find out about this hip new fad, Kent."
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thumbs up

I've never cared about the character that much thus I don't have a favorite version. I feel he is nothing more than a poor man's Lex Luthor.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't really have that strong an opinion on Edge either.

I like the idea of a businessman who's shady, but not really "super villain" shady, who ends up in some deep water occasionally because it's Metropolis and backroom deals can get pretty serious pretty quickly, but who doesn't naturally gravitate to that depth of evil.

Lex used to be, essentially, a antagonistic member of the supporting cast, but these days he's grown into a much bigger deal, a more threatening villain, and he doesn't inhabit the world of Metropolis like he used to. Edge is as good a replacement as anyone else for those "landlord is jacking up the rent" or "the boss is killing this story Lois wrote" narratives.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I preferred him as a lackey for Darkseid.
    Keeping him around long term isn't something I'd have done.
    I can understand wanting to bring in change, but I'd have brought Lana and Steve into the Daily Planet rather than move Clark to being a news anchor. That job never suited him as well as the Daily Planet role. I can understand the desire to modernize, but the anchorman job was more of a hinderance than a help for Superman as he had to be on camera at certain times.

Incredible Member

i like him as the hardnosed businessman who took over the newspaper daily planet.

Astonishing Member

I prefer the Pre-Crisis take where he was Clark's bossover the obvious "big business bogeyman" or "secret head of Intergang".

The Pre-Crisis take gave us a well rounded character that could be sympathetic when needed or be "the boss from hell" without either role undercutting the established characterization.

If nothing else it gives the Planet an established owner rather than the revolving door of "Planet is bought out by Lex/Bruce/Moneybags Olsen ...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I prefer the Pre-Crisis take where he was Clark's bossover the obvious "big business bogeyman" or "secret head of Intergang".

The Pre-Crisis take gave us a well rounded character that could be sympathetic when needed or be "the boss from hell" without either role undercutting the established characterization.

If nothing else it gives the Planet an established owner rather than the revolving door of "Planet is bought out by Lex/Bruce/Moneybags Olsen ...
    I had to look this up on Wikipedia, because I was never clear on what role Morgan Edge was supposed to have in Intergang. I always thought "Ugly" Mannheim was the big boss but even he wasn't the real boss because Darkseid was the big boss. But Wikipedia seems to agree that Edge was the boss on Earth. However, I guess I never got that from the comics because Edge just seemed to be a stooge. He was merely sending Clark on assignments where Intergang/Darkseid had nefarious plans for him. And the fact that Edge was revealed to be a clone convinced me that the fake Edge was simply a pawn in the operation and not any mastermind.

I'm glad that was just a clone and Edge is only a big business guy, who owns the Planet and may have certain shortcomings but isn't an all-out evil crime boss. However, I was watching LOIS & CLARK, where Bill Church Jr. has assumed the role of boss, from his father, for both Costmart and Intergang (but not Church's Chicken) and he's played by Bruce Campbell--who to me would have made a perfect Morgan Edge. So I almost wish they had gone with Edge as the boss of Intergang, for that show, just to see Campbell play him.

The Pre-Crisis one.

He at least has had some decency to him.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't really have that strong an opinion on Edge either.

I like the idea of a businessman who's shady, but not really "super villain" shady, who ends up in some deep water occasionally because it's Metropolis and backroom deals can get pretty serious pretty quickly, but who doesn't naturally gravitate to that depth of evil.

Lex used to be, essentially, a antagonistic member of the supporting cast, but these days he's grown into a much bigger deal, a more threatening villain, and he doesn't inhabit the world of Metropolis like he used to. Edge is as good a replacement as anyone else for those "landlord is jacking up the rent" or "the boss is killing this story Lois wrote" narratives.
    Yeah there was a rival Lex angle where he had hands in both intergang and the revenge squad, but I like him as a guy who's over his head with that sort of thing.

Of course, I like when Lex is less than a world beater, too. Like he can actually sit in Metropolis long enough to cast a shadow

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Pre-Crisis Morgan Edge.

This story "My Son the Orphan" by Marty Pasko is better than any story with the Post Crisis version.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

I imagine that's a key story for a lot of people, definitely his most significant from the time. But I think he'd either be forgotten like Josh or at best an easter egg like Steve if it weren't for Kirby and his usage. I don't think relevance is all that important for supporting cast members and it's good to have people who interact with "Man" and not really the "Super." But given his roots I kinda lean away from the retcon that came after Kirby to my knowledge, along with his "normal" spot going to Franklin Stern.

After Kirby, my top five issues with Edge probably come from around Exile, especially because I'll always find this Intergang head getting pushed around by Cat's ex husband to be hilarious.