View Poll Results: Who is the best Green Lantern writer?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bill Finger

0 0%
  • John Broome

2 2.53%
  • Dennis O'neil

4 5.06%
  • Steve Englehart

6 7.59%
  • Alan Moore

4 5.06%
  • Gerard Jones

2 2.53%
  • Dave Gibbons

1 1.27%
  • Geoff Johns

38 48.10%
  • Peter Tomasi

2 2.53%
  • Robert Vendetti

0 0%
  • Grant Morrison

9 11.39%
  • Other

9 11.39%
  • See Results

2 2.53%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Who is the best Green Lantern Writer

The green lantern mythology has changed drastically over time with influences from countless different writers so

Who is the definitive green lantern writer over its creation?

BANNED

If we look from the influences, then it's Geoff Johns. He can be said as the guy who save the Green Lantern from obscurity. He added the spectrum Lantern, increase the focus to Sinestro and Hal, making GL into the focus of 2 biggest event of DC Universe, and in general making everyone easier to write GL. So he is really the architect of GL in sense.

Johns has the biggest influence out of anyone going forward on the GL mythos but the individual lanterns themselves I think were written better under different writers (Morrison for Hal, Tomasi for Guy, Englehart for John, etc)

Incredible Member

I voted for Johns, however I would have voted for Ron Marz if he was an option

Extraordinary Member

I voted for Steve Englehart. He juggled multiple GL's, with an emphasis on character. Most importantly, Hal was the man, yet all were booked strong. John & Guy were separate while totally unique from Hal. Oh yeah, Katma!

Denny O'Neil

BANNED

Steve Englehart. After him, Gerard Jones. Jones' stories aren't good near the latter part of his GL run, but his earlier stuff and Mosaic is really strong, IMO. After that, I dunno'...Maybe Ron Marz. I wish I liked the O'Neil stuff more, probably because the art is so awesome and the whole comic has a pretty interesting vibe, but I just don't. I think it's because it was clear O'Neil was more interested in, and passionate about highlighting Green Arrow and Black Canary, and while I don't have anything against those characters, I don't read Green Lantern comics for them.

Extraordinary Member

Darwyn Cooke.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Alan Moore because he tried to take the concept of Green Lantern in directions that hadn't been done before. Really showed the potential of what the series could be even with only a few one-shots.

As far as regular writers go though I can't decide between Steve Englehart or Gerard Jones. Each one had their missteps (some of the decisions for Hal and Arisia were questionable) but they did well with John and Guy. It was also nice that they remembered that the aliens came from radically different backgrounds and didn't just act like different colored humanoids.

Mighty Member

Denny O Neil, because he crafted the close relationships between Hal, Ollie and Dinah, and pretty much wrote Hal's fist golden age through the 70's when he was in the classic JLA line up.

Green Lantern/Green Arrow 76 remains DC's most expensive comic of Bronze Age.

I recognize Geoff Johns as being the greatest Green Lantern writer of the modern era though.

I voted other. The list did not include favorites like the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited scribes nor legendary comics scribes like Ron Marz

Lightbulb

I meant to vote for Geoff Johns but I voted for Peter Tomasi instead.

I haven't read as much Green Lantern stuff as I have other DC properties but of what I've seen Geoff Johns' run was the best by a fair margin.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Focusing on Hal, because I don't follow the others that much:

Going with Morrison for Hal out of those listed, but Darwyn Cooke would be up there as well.

Johns is a major figure in Hal's publication history, but I feel he's too inconsistent and ramps up some of Hal's worst traits in some instances for me to consider him the best.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I don't even like Johns much, but it is no contest.

He singlehandedly brought the Green Lantern back to forefront of the DCU. Before him Green Lantern was only in the zeitgeist because of the Justice League animated series.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I voted other and give it to Ron Marz - his run on Kyle is what got me back into the GL universe and he did a TOP job!!
    I'd give the silver to Geoff Johns and the bronze to Judd Winick!! He cops a lot of flak, but I LOVED his Green lantern run.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.