View Poll Results: Who is the best Batman writer?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frank Millar

2 1.55%
  • Jim Starlin

3 2.33%
  • Bob Kane/Bill Finger

3 2.33%
  • Judd Winick

0 0%
  • Ed Brubaker

3 2.33%
  • Gerry Conway

2 1.55%
  • Paul Dini

13 10.08%
  • Chuck Dixon

14 10.85%
  • Gardner Fox

0 0%
  • Peter Tomasi

3 2.33%
  • Jeph Leob

2 1.55%
  • Grant Morrison

44 34.11%
  • Scott Snyder

4 3.10%
  • Dennis O'neil

22 17.05%
  • Other

14 10.85%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Who is the Best Batman writer

I think it would be safe to say that batman is the most popular superhero of the big two. This wouldn't be the case without the countless writers who have expanded apon the mythology behind the bat. So I wanted to know what your thoughts were

Who is the definitive Batman writer?

Well Frank Millar is a writter, Mark Millar is or Frank Miller is also.
    I don't want to be mean but forgot Doug Moench, Greg Rucka, Len Wein and Archi Goodwin which are in my opinion in the top 10 and way better than some on your list.

Always Rakzo

Not making a choice here but I appreciate the fact that neither Tom King nor James Tynion IV are mentioned.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well Frank Millar is a writter, Mark Millar is or Frank Miller is also.
    I don't want to be mean but forgot Doug Moench, Greg Rucka, Len Wein and Archi Goodwin which are in my opinion in the top 10 and way better than some on your list.
    Yeah, unfortunately, It was all a spacing issue, the poll can only fit 15 and I needed to have a space for the other category. I couldn't find much on Archi Goodwin, what did he do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Not making a choice here but I appreciate the fact that neither Tom King nor James Tynion IV are mentioned.
    I didn't include James Tynion because his run is currently ongoing

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    I didn't include James Tynion because his run is currently ongoing
    Don't include it when it's done either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I went with Morrison as he was sort of the leader of the band so to say, but all the writers from that stretch(Dini, Brubaker and Winick) were all head and shoulders above any since and their collective output I think is better than any era before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, It was all a spacing issue, the poll can only fit 15 and I needed to have a space for the other category. I couldn't find much on Archi Goodwin, what did he do?

Archie Goodwin wrote a ton of really good stories, and was equally famous as an editor...he was editor for first half of James Robinson Starman series, for example. There’s a good collection of his Batman stuff on ComiXology (called “Tales of the Batman”)

For me Archie, Alan Grant, and Bob Haney are the Batman writers that have given me the most enjoyment...but that’s a long way from saying they were the “best”, of course.

Extraordinary Member

IF we are talking main continuity I go with Dixon, the 90s where he , and iirc Alan Grant and Doung Moench were writing, and Dennis O'Neil was Editor, is for me the strongest era of Batman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Had to go with Morrison followed by Dini.
    Of the others listed, Bill Fingers (natch) and Gerry Conway. I'd add Steve Englehart as well. Everyone else...eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Don't include it when it's done either.
    Or do, because he (and King, for that matter) is doubtless someone's favorite Batman writer and equally deserving of a place on such a poll?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Or do, because he (and King, for that matter) is doubtless someone's favorite Batman writer and equally deserving of a place on such a poll?
    "Other" is a choice for the minority.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I don’t think we should really have a poll here; someone is going to get left off, and the difference in generational impact needs to be taken into account.

Dennis O’Neill should probably count as the single greatest narrative force for Batman both as a writer and as a god-tier editor... so he’s the Phil Jackson of Batman writers.

Morrison as the epic/saga-constructing, dominant force during his time under great circumstances... so he’s the Michael Jordan of Batman writers.

Dixon as the workhorse capable of writing half the books at the same time under O’Neill... so he’s the 70’s Pittsburg Steelers of Batman writers.

Snyder as the hot-shot-ed Superstar in the right program at the right time... so he’s the Patrick Mahomes of Batman writers.

But the most versatile, flexible, and consistent Batman writer I think all other Batman writers need to pay attention to, even if he’s unheralded in comparison to some of his contemporaries... is Paul Dini. He’s had success in multiple media (comics, cartoon, video games), multiple roles (lead writer, part of the team, solo artist, adapting others material), and on everything in Batman’s universe - he’s the man for villains, sidekicks, supporting cats characters, and Batman himself.

Paul Dini is the Tom Brady of Batman writers; maybe not the name you want to jump to mind, but one that kind of should, anyway,
    Last edited by godisawesome; 11-15-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Alan Grant deserves to be on there before some of them.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Alan Grant, and Doug Moench not being listed, yet Loeb is is a travesty.

I really liked Chuck Dixon...on other Bat related books. His Batman/Tec run was pretty pedestrian, compared to his Nightwing, Catwoman, BoP, and Robin work.

I'm glad people are mentioning Alan Grant. His stories were amazing, reading them feels like watching a very good movie