View Poll Results: Who is the best Batman writer?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frank Millar

2 1.55%
  • Jim Starlin

3 2.33%
  • Bob Kane/Bill Finger

3 2.33%
  • Judd Winick

0 0%
  • Ed Brubaker

3 2.33%
  • Gerry Conway

2 1.55%
  • Paul Dini

13 10.08%
  • Chuck Dixon

14 10.85%
  • Gardner Fox

0 0%
  • Peter Tomasi

3 2.33%
  • Jeph Leob

2 1.55%
  • Grant Morrison

44 34.11%
  • Scott Snyder

4 3.10%
  • Dennis O'neil

22 17.05%
  • Other

14 10.85%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Who is the Best Batman writer

I think it would be safe to say that batman is the most popular superhero of the big two. This wouldn't be the case without the countless writers who have expanded apon the mythology behind the bat. So I wanted to know what your thoughts were

Who is the definitive Batman writer?

Well Frank Millar is a writter, Mark Millar is or Frank Miller is also.
    I don't want to be mean but forgot Doug Moench, Greg Rucka, Len Wein and Archi Goodwin which are in my opinion in the top 10 and way better than some on your list.

Always Rakzo

Not making a choice here but I appreciate the fact that neither Tom King nor James Tynion IV are mentioned.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well Frank Millar is a writter, Mark Millar is or Frank Miller is also.
    I don't want to be mean but forgot Doug Moench, Greg Rucka, Len Wein and Archi Goodwin which are in my opinion in the top 10 and way better than some on your list.
    Yeah, unfortunately, It was all a spacing issue, the poll can only fit 15 and I needed to have a space for the other category. I couldn't find much on Archi Goodwin, what did he do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Not making a choice here but I appreciate the fact that neither Tom King nor James Tynion IV are mentioned.
    I didn't include James Tynion because his run is currently ongoing

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    I didn't include James Tynion because his run is currently ongoing
    Don't include it when it's done either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I went with Morrison as he was sort of the leader of the band so to say, but all the writers from that stretch(Dini, Brubaker and Winick) were all head and shoulders above any since and their collective output I think is better than any era before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, It was all a spacing issue, the poll can only fit 15 and I needed to have a space for the other category. I couldn't find much on Archi Goodwin, what did he do?

Archie Goodwin wrote a ton of really good stories, and was equally famous as an editor...he was editor for first half of James Robinson Starman series, for example. There’s a good collection of his Batman stuff on ComiXology (called “Tales of the Batman”)

For me Archie, Alan Grant, and Bob Haney are the Batman writers that have given me the most enjoyment...but that’s a long way from saying they were the “best”, of course.

Extraordinary Member

IF we are talking main continuity I go with Dixon, the 90s where he , and iirc Alan Grant and Doung Moench were writing, and Dennis O'Neil was Editor, is for me the strongest era of Batman.

Had to go with "other" since Len Wein would have been one of the people I would have put on this poll.

Maybe it would have been better to create multiple polls by decades first to narrow down to a final "Best of" list?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I voted Denny O'Neil! I think I might love those Steve Englehart issues more because of the artwork but I can live with O'Neil. After that, I think it's Len Wein, Frank Miller, and then Morrison.

Retired

I certainly liked Denny O'Neil's Batman a lot in the first half of the 1970s. But Frank Robbins was the other Batman writer at the time (he may have even wrote more stories than Denny) and it always bugs me that O'Neil gets all the credit and Robbins gets none.

In addition to his run in 1977, Steve Englehart also wrote "Night of the Stalker" in DETECTIVE COMICS 439. Granted Vin and Sal Amendola provided the plot, but as I think this is one of the greatest Batman stories ever published, it's a feather in Englehart's cap that he was associated with that tale, even before he began his glorious run on DETECTIVE thirty issues later.

Well this is a toughie but I'd say Paul Dini. And you know why? Its weird because he captures the essence of "pre-Miller" Batman, Joker and Robin so well. Probably a tie with O'Neil truth to tell. Morrison is top ten for me, but Batman has had a lot of great writers and his stuff piggybacks off of some of that stuff. like Miller, I feel that a lot of Morrison's writing is more experimental than classically Batman.

Has Snyder just gone out of vogue now, are people re-evaluating his run and finding it lacking? Seems like during his run, he could do no wrong.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

All-New Member

I had to click through the entire thread to see if anyone mentioned King - and they did!

Snyder for the creep factor but Morrison because, well, he's Morrison.

Easy it's Greg Rucka or Chuck Dixon or Steve Englehart or Len Wein - O'Neil is close behind.