View Poll Results: Who is the best Batman writer?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frank Millar

2 1.55%
  • Jim Starlin

3 2.33%
  • Bob Kane/Bill Finger

3 2.33%
  • Judd Winick

0 0%
  • Ed Brubaker

3 2.33%
  • Gerry Conway

2 1.55%
  • Paul Dini

13 10.08%
  • Chuck Dixon

14 10.85%
  • Gardner Fox

0 0%
  • Peter Tomasi

3 2.33%
  • Jeph Leob

2 1.55%
  • Grant Morrison

44 34.11%
  • Scott Snyder

4 3.10%
  • Dennis O'neil

22 17.05%
  • Other

14 10.85%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Alan Grant, and Doug Moench not being listed, yet Loeb is is a travesty.

I really liked Chuck Dixon...on other Bat related books. His Batman/Tec run was pretty pedestrian, compared to his Nightwing, Catwoman, BoP, and Robin work.
    That’ why I though Dini deserved a go-ahead over Dixon: Dixon’s the utter master of expanding the supporting cast around Batman, but Dini’s better at writing Batman and has at times shown Dixon-level capabilities with the supporting cast.

During the last real “Renaissance” across all Bat-related properties (Batman RIP through Inc), Dini was basically the closest equivalent they had to Dixon in terms of handling multiple characters, though across fewer books and often working apart from Morrison and Snyder. Still, I think it has to be said that Dini was painting the Gotham around the stories that Morrsiona and Snyder were telling.

...I’ll also confess that I’m giving Dini the position for me because I don't think he’s ever been really accused of being overhyped or divisive the way that both Snyder and Morrison could be.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

I voted Grant Morrison.

I will say that Tom King probably deserved a spot on this poll. I say that even though I still would have voted Morrison

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I voted Paul Dini, He's just the full package when it comes to Batman Writers given his work with the character across different mediums (cartoons, comics, games), He just has such a perfect handle on pretty much all the characters from heroes to villains and one can't forget the contributions he made to the lore that were incorporated from TAS (Harley Quinn, Mr Freeze).

I've never really been a fan of Morrison's run, truth be told. Of the writers listed here, I'd put him above the likes of Starlin or Winnick (maybe Loeb) but I definitely wouldn't put him above Dixon, O'Neil. Snyder, Conway or Tomasi.

Grant Morrison, Chuck Dixon, and Frank Millar are my top three picks.

This was the hardest "best of" poll yet. There are so many worthy choices for various reasons. We Batman fans have truly been spoiled over the years.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Morrison ainec

Astonishing Member

Grant Morrison. By far. Love his Batman run.

Honourable mentions to Dennis O'Neill, Paul Dini and Scott Snyder.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Chuck Dixon batverse was the best period for me.
    Loved how many titles were strictly connected. And Bruce was human, no multiverses, no armors.
    Obviously Chuck's strength was batfamily at his higher level, and this is what I've always focused my interest to when reading a Batman title.

LOL

Grant Morrison is a great comic book writer but his worst work by far is Batman. People here must be really young if they can't name Batman's greatest writer.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    LOL

Grant Morrison is a great comic book writer but his worst work by far is Batman. People here must be really young if they can't name Batman's greatest writer.
    It's probably Wonder Woman: Earth One (which is more disappointing than completely bad).

If it's Frank Miller...yeah, not so much.

Astonishing Member

I like Morrison's run more than is healthy and it was the reason why I started buying Absolute Editions. But I think there's enough "weird" in the entirety of his run where you almost can't pinpoint any particular done-in-one or short sort of "Classic, By-the-Books" (not by-the-numbers, mind you) Batman stories. He consolidated all the weirdest corners of Batman-Lore, and while it was more or less organically done and worked and fit into the prime depiction of Batman and reconciled everything, there's not really a "Here's a complete story where Batman solves a crime" mixed in there. Honorable mention for that J.H. Williams "Island of Mister Mayhew" three-parter, though. It's probably the closest the run comes.

And Denny or Alan Grant feel too easy, too. Ultimately I guess I'm arguing that while those are probably my Top Three, I don't want to vote Top Three Obvious, I want to vote a little off-beat.

But overall there's just something so ... SOLID ... about Brubaker. He played with some toys in the sandbox that people don't usually play with and really sold me on his Batman. Rucka's Batman is good but those books often felt like "This is where we play with the supporting cast, particularly the women in Batman's life" angles. With Brubaker it of course transitions into Gotham Central (all new characters that rock) and being the best of all Catwoman writers.

Mad props to Dini, too. Dini knows how to do single-issue just good, stock, but not boring or totally predictable, one-shot Batman stories.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Morrison with Jim Starlin and Dini as followups.

Morrison.
    You'll never have to read another Batman comic in your life once you finish his run - absolutely nothing compares nor ever will.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Morrison, Tomasi, and Dini in that exact order.

Morrison really changed the game, he perfected Bat-God in JLA and ran with it in the solo run.

Tomasi wrote Bruce as a father like no other.

Dini wrote mythos so well, I would love a Batman encyclopedia written by him.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    LOL

I guess you must be pretty young too, since you apparently can't name anybody either.

Retired

Just note that Bob Kane wasn't the writer on Batman. You could argue that he generated ideas which were made into stories, but other writers (especially Bill Finger) did all the work. If you put Bob Kane as a writer, then you might as well list a lot of other artists. Because what they do is also part of the story telling process. Neal Adams, for example, didn't just follow the scripts, he created a lot of the story himself in choosing to change scenes to night or breaking down the page in such a way that it changed the perspective of the story.

Anyway, Bob mainly delegated work to others. He was like a sub-contractor.

Besides Bill Finger, who probably wrote more Batman stories than anyone else and created so much of the world, there's a lot of writers that would be on my list. John Broome, Frank Robbins, David V. Reed, Don Cameron, Alvin Schwartz, Steve Englehart, Len Wein, Bob Haney, Edmond Hamilton, Archie Goodwin, Bob Kanigher, among others.