View Poll Results: Who is the best Batman writer?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frank Millar

2 1.55%
  • Jim Starlin

3 2.33%
  • Bob Kane/Bill Finger

3 2.33%
  • Judd Winick

0 0%
  • Ed Brubaker

3 2.33%
  • Gerry Conway

2 1.55%
  • Paul Dini

13 10.08%
  • Chuck Dixon

14 10.85%
  • Gardner Fox

0 0%
  • Peter Tomasi

3 2.33%
  • Jeph Leob

2 1.55%
  • Grant Morrison

44 34.11%
  • Scott Snyder

4 3.10%
  • Dennis O'neil

22 17.05%
  • Other

14 10.85%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    All-New Member

I had to click through the entire thread to see if anyone mentioned King - and they did!

Snyder for the creep factor but Morrison because, well, he's Morrison.

Easy it's Greg Rucka or Chuck Dixon or Steve Englehart or Len Wein - O'Neil is close behind.

Doug Moench or Greg Rucka for me

Tom King, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Or do, because he (and King, for that matter) is doubtless someone's favorite Batman writer and equally deserving of a place on such a poll?
    Thank you. There are a lot of great Batman writers on this list, I’ve read them all extensively, and King is my all-time favorite.

I definitely think Tom King added a lot of great and important stories to Batman's history, but after Cold Days ended he really lost his way, and I think he made a crucial mistake by choosing Bane as the big villain instead of Hugo Strange.

I never understood the hype for Scott Snyder Batman. I really liked Zero Year, but everything else was so underwhelming, specially Court of Owls and Night of the Owls. Still wish someone could explain to me why they actually appreciate the story. It teased a lot of interesting things, bit the story really went nowhere. Once he got trapped in the labyrinth the actual storytelling juat ended for me.

Obviously love a lot of other writers, but can't pick one.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-24-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Alan Grant for me
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I definitely think Tom King added a lot of great and important stories to Batman's history, but after Cold Days ended he really lost his way, and I think he made a crucial mistake by choosing Bane as the big villain instead of Hugo Strange.
    Like what? If I never read his Holly Robinson, Gotham, Gotham Girl, Bane, Thomas Wayne, and jokerized Fries again it will be too soon. The Assault on Santa Prisca, Ivy, Wonder Woman and Knightmares arcs suck. King's only saving grace is the artists working on his stories. I like his other work and he comes across as a genuinely nice person but his lows on Batman are horrifying.
    Snyder was always fun. He, too is elevated by Capullo and Jock but the only stuff I really disliked was Death of the Family and everything Metal.

The Button (specially the part with Thomas Wayne, even though he ruined it later on when Thomas teamed up with Bane);
    The Rooftops mini story arc;
    War of Jokes and Riddles;
    Cold Days (Bruce Jury duty);
    the Double date with Clark and Lois;
    Batman 44 where we see a whole day in Selina's life, alongside reworking of old Cat/Bat stories;
    The Best man (Bat/Cat/Joker in the chapel);
    That issue where Bruce is in a dinner with all the Robins and Duke Thomas (wholesome);
    All of the annuals;
    And as much as people might hate it, Bruce almost trying to commit suicide is nuanced considering the implication of how this fixation with becoming something like Batman came soon after his parents died, the kid went through some dark moments.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-25-2021 at 04:34 PM.

I also enjoyed other stories like the one where Selina and Talia team up, the Poison Ivy story (although not very memorable), and even the Booster Gold scenario somewhat.

Extraordinary Member

Regardless of whether one likes Tom King's Batman material or not, the fact of the matter is that his run does have a sizeable number of fans, and thus deserves a place on the poll

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Thank you. There are a lot of great Batman writers on this list, I’ve read them all extensively, and King is my all-time favorite.
    Man, I love him too; but he's my number two favorite.

Number one being of course the great Grant "blew my mind" Morrison

King was such a breath of fresh air and Batman was written in such a novel way, but I think a lot of the sensitivity that he wrote for Bruce, Morrison did it a little bit better.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The Button (specially the part with Thomas Wayne, even though he ruined it later on when Thomas teamed up with Bane);
    The Rooftops mini story arc;
    War of Jokes and Riddles;
    Cold Days (Bruce Jury duty);
    the Double date with Clark and Lois;
    Batman 44 where we see a whole day in Selina's life, alongside reworking of old Cat/Bat stories;
    The Best man (Bat/Cat/Joker in the chapel);
    That issue where Bruce is in a dinner with all the Robins and Duke Thomas (wholesome);
    All of the annuals;
    And as much as people might hate it, Bruce almost trying to commit suicide is nuanced considering the implication of how this fixation with becoming something like Batman came soon after his parents died, the kid went through some dark moments.
    Frank Miller came up with Bruce considering suicide and I like King's annuals and Cold Days but War of Jokes and Riddles (really just panel after panel of rogues showing up saying and doing nothing), the Button and Booster Gold are just shadows of older stories that have been done better by others. I always loose interest when Justice Leaguers or time travel show up in a Batman story.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-26-2021 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Frank Miller came up with Bruce considering suicide and I like King's annuals and Cold Days but War of Jokes and Riddles (really just panel after panel of rogues showing up saying and doing nothing), the Button and Booster Gold are just shadows of older stories that have been done better by others. I always loose interest when Justice Leaguers or time travel show up in a Batman story.
    I haven't read The Dark Knight Strikes Again or any of his recent work, where does Frank Miller state that about suicide? Could I be forgetting something from TDKR, Year One or AllStarBatmanandRobin?

The things I remember about War of Jokes and Riddles are much more than just what you describe. There is the whole Bruce and Selina conversation, the Kite Man story and the final confrontation full of twists and turns.

And what older story had Thomas Wayne tell his son not to become Batman and find happiness?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Alan Grant for me
    Do you happen to have ComicVine account by any chance? Because I have seen a guy like you having Alan Grant as his favorite in CV.

On topic Probably Grant Morrison. Jim Aparo was good too. I never liked King(especially him) or Snyder.