Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Your first WW solo story?

Everyone starts in different eras.

Just wondering what was the first solo WW story you read.

My first was from the Diana Prince era. It was a two parter that also had Catwoman and two sword and sorcery characters and I Ching. It involved dimension hoping. It was a good fun read.

Others?

BANNED

My first story is Hiketeia by Rucka and J.G. Jones. To be honest while it's good, I don't think it's a good starting point, because I really confused at Diana who apparently very different from his JLU counterpart. Though the first WW story that hooked me is the Marston and Morrisson. I think I like it because it reminds me of mangas by Nagai Go. It's perverted, but at the same time the story really hit a note to be enjoyable.

The Lies/Year One.

WW Diana Prince Orana 251.jpg

This is it, Orana in Man's World. Which may be why I have such a soft spot for her Post-Crisis replacement Artemis, Amazon technology (they had spaceships in this issue) as well as Diana Prince of course.

Wonder Woman #112 was my first issue of WW. My brother and I were going to visit our mother in a different state and for the plane ride, we each got to pick a comic from the airport (he picked Aquaman). This story was super weird and even at the time I was like "who the eff is Doomsday and why is he fighting Wonder Woman?" I also really didn't get the Wonder Girl stuff (my 10 year old brain couldn't wrap my head around why she wore a wig). I loved Decay though and still have a nostalgic fondness for her.

A week or two later I somehow got #110 (where she fights a Sinestro construct) which equally confused me, but I never completed the full story until adulthood. I spent years thinking the Champion stuff was vital to Wonder Woman's mythos. Woops.

A few months later I ended up getting Wonder Woman #63 at a flea market because it was the only one that had Cheetah, and I mainly knew Wonder Woman from watching Superfriends reruns with my father. That story was also bizarre as hell. Weird choices for the only 3 Wonder Woman comics I had as a child, and you'd think I'd have more love for them, but I don't (though Messner-Loebs is leagues ahead of Byrne's run).

I first got into WW from the JLU animated series, I legitimately believed that she was underutilized and had a lot of potential and never got to fully flesh out. I really liked her more than the other heroes, I was drawn to her myth roots being a fan of mythology myself. So I started doing research on her and visiting her fanbases/respect threads. I was like WOW; she had myth, monsters, gods, aliens, all this rich history and they didn't do anything with it except make it worse. So I picked up the best origin book Gods and Monsters by George Perez. that was my first official comic book. I got hooked after that.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Perez run in omnibus format. Probably my most enjoyable comic book experience so far
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

The first four issues of the Perez reboot shortly after COIE were given to me as a gift one year and I was hooked for life.

E7B6F734-7C42-45A4-A786-A0FDA4296CBA.jpg

I think this issue may have hit the stands the same month the Lynda Carter pilot telefilm aired—and thus my interest.

I thought the Curt Swan art was great. Wish he’d drawn more interiors on the book.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Wonder_Woman_Vol_2_75.jpg

I was 11 years old, and saw it on a rack of comics at a 5 and dime. To my utter SHOCK, my mother actually said yes when I asked for it. I was hooked on Diana from then, on.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    Wonder_Woman_Vol_2_75.jpg

I was 11 years old, and saw it on a rack of comics at a 5 and dime. To my utter SHOCK, my mother actually said yes when I asked for it. I was hooked on Diana from then, on.
    That is one awesome cover.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

The Contest, which was one of the first WW comics published in Russia. I think I was about 12 at the time. And for that reason I have a soft spot for the Messner-Loebs' run (and Artemis) to this day, even if it's far from the best.

As a kid, the only Wonder Woman comics I had were JLA issues with her in it. I was a fan of the Super-Friends and the Lynda Carter show, both of which I watched regularly as a kid, but never bought any WW comics. The first time I did was in high school with Wonder Woman #1 by George Perez. I was a huge Perez fan and was getting into DC big time post-Crisis (after being mostly a Marvel Zombie in terms of my comic buying as a kid).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Everyone starts in different eras.

Just wondering what was the first solo WW story you read.

My first was from the Diana Prince era. It was a two parter that also had Catwoman and two sword and sorcery characters and I Ching. It involved dimension hoping. It was a good fun read.

Others?
    I guess it depends. My late Grandmother would sit on the floor with me and watch Lynda Carter in slow motion with epic disco strings going. Then I saw Wondy on Super-Friends. But it would be ages before I actually got my hands on a Wonder Woman solo comic. When she brought the box of old comics and read the one with the Gene Colon art it would Mark the beginning of an obsession I still enjoy to this day. The cover had Wonder Woman deflecting bullets with the bad guys in her bracelets. The story inside had to do with Bellerophon, catacombs, and a skeleton with a WW suit on!

I read a few issues of the Phil Jiminez run first.