Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
There is a lot of discussion of the primacy of Supes or Clark and a lot seem to like the idea of Clark as a shell to lead in to Supes adventures with Supes being the authentic persona. I notice that was a point in the pitch posted in the thread from the millennium Braintree led by Morrison and Waid.

I wanted to ask how you see that working and if there are any current example of the look and feel of that. I worry that the emphasis of distant lonely alien will get us the Snyder MOS Supes and I wondered if OI misinterpreted.
To be honest, as much as I hate this I am in John Bryne's camp here, for Superman to have empathy and human feelings, he needs to be human first. Because he feels different he can sympathize with everyone, because he is strong he understands people's hard work from his parent. He understands sadness because he experienced sadness. He understands happiness because he experienced happiness. He understands anger because he always holds it. To understand and can convey it properly in the human term he needs to experience it from his human self.

Superman self at the other hand to me is supposed to be his mask, a mask of a perfect hero an ever-smiling person that seems like Superpowered Fred Rogers. But that is just a facade, because Clark can't hold everything in his hands and that's where the interesting part of Superman start.