Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Writers who are actually funny

It's very hard to be funny in a superhero comic, so you tend to notice when someone actually is. Yes, I know that there are titles that make it easy like Deadpool. So what current writers are actually funny within the constraints of Marvel superhero comics?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Fraction
    Zdarsky
    Bendis
    Spencer
    Hickman
    Priest
    Duggan
    Aaron

Are some really funny writers in their own unique way.

After reading the entire Hickman oeuvre I could not believe how funny he was, his recent New Mutants run is so damn funny.

Spencer on Superior Foes was pure gold.

Early Bendis on Ultimate Spidey and New Avengers is so good.

Priest on almost anything is such a good black comedy writer, his early Black Panther run was so damn dark and funny

Fraction & Zdarsky are probably my favorite in regards to humor I mean you can read anything of theirs in the Marvel universe and see some really funny stuff (and don't get me started on Sex Criminals or their other creator owned stuff).

Oh also Aaron on Wolverine & The X-Men is pretty good, it may get a bit childish but it does so in a good way

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

My number one vote has to go to Spencer. Ant Man and Superior Foes were fantastic.

Warren Ellis on Nextwave

Fraction/Zdarsky for sure.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    My number one vote has to go to Spencer. Ant Man and Superior Foes were fantastic.

Warren Ellis on Nextwave

Fraction/Zdarsky for sure.
    I totally forgot about Ant-Man! What an amazing series!

Ellis on Nextwave was so good, he too is very similar to Priest he can be super gritty and serious and then all of a sudden you're in black comedy

Astonishing Member

Joe Kelly (Deadpool), Christopher Priest (Black Panther), Gail Simone (Agent X), Brian Michael Bendis (Ultimate Spider-man) and Al Ewing (New Avengers).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's very hard to be funny in a superhero comic, so you tend to notice when someone actually is. Yes, I know that there are titles that make it easy like Deadpool. So what current writers are actually funny within the constraints of Marvel superhero comics?
    I actually think characters like DP make it harder on a writer.
    Being funny in general/in passing is hard enough, w.out handling a character known for their humor. It’s one reason (along w. massive overexposure) I no longer particularly like DP outside the movies. The humor usually falls flat.

On topic (and on DP), Joe Kelly can be smart and funny in spades.

PAD can always deliver.

The team of Palmiotti and Conner are pretty great.

Mark Waid can be fun and clever almost on demand.

Zeb Wells is funny af.

Astonishing Member

Dan Slott.
    Joe Kelly.
    Peter David.

Zdarsky, Rosenberg, Duggan, Fraction, Kelly

Peter David on X-Factor.

The writer of Hellions.

BANNED

Well, regarding jokes I think it's up to the people who read it because I believe each country have their own jokes. I said that, but I also believe slapstick is the voice of jokes for humanity, so I believe it's Fabian Nicieza, Zeb Wells, Duggan, and Zdarsky. But to be honest Dan Slott also quite good in his Ren and Stimpy and Spidey jokes and Jonathan Hickman FF issue where human torch and Spider-Man share room is also good.

Jed MacKay is off to a very good start with his Taskmaster mini. Aside from that Hawkeye Freefall by Rosenberg was genuinely funny. Also worth mentioning are Gerry Duggan and Daniel Way.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Will Murray for Squirrel Girl.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

People give him a lot of crap, but when Bendis is on his A-Game, his dialogue is hilarious.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Jed MacKay is off to a very good start with his Taskmaster mini. Aside from that Hawkeye Freefall by Rosenberg was genuinely funny. Also worth mentioning are Gerry Duggan and Daniel Way.
    To each their own..ugh.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest