Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Comic Book Martial Arts Are Magic™.

Wish I could say the same for the real-world stuff. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Comic Book Martial Arts Are Magic™.

Wish I could say the same for the real-world stuff. ^_^
    Also Anima martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Also Anima martial arts.
    Okay, let's just say FICTIONAL martial arts, in general, are magic (of differing levels of power, fiction dependent). If that's not too complicated.

Maaaan, I'll now extend my wish for Anima martial arts.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Spectacular Member

What if you throw in Mantis and Remo Williams? He's not Marvel but he's got the same kinda vibe as Val and Mantis...

Quote Originally Posted by Tanrage View Post
    What if you throw in Mantis and Remo Williams? He's not Marvel but he's got the same kinda vibe as Val and Mantis...
    It would be like putting two more Hydra agents in the elevator with Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    It would be like putting two more Hydra agents in the elevator with Captain America.
    Pretty much.

Remo is...absolutely ridiculous for a fictional martial artist, but he's not 'top-end'. You need to go a lot higher than him to arrive at someone who has a chance of tilting things against Val.

Remo is basically a supersonic guy who tears apart tanks with his bare hands (and other more potent stuff, but you get the idea). Val is a guy who reacts to and redirects a Daxamite who is charging him at such speed that said Daxamite (Mon-El) ends up in another star system before he can get himself back under control (so, Mon-El was bum-rushing Val at many multiples of lightspeed). Then Mon-El realizes he's not just in deep space somewhere, he's not 'just' in a system, but that Val actually redirected him into a specific system with a Red Sun.

O_o

Val and Remo are on completely different levels. Shoot, Val and Ancestor - one of my favorite go-to characters for overpowered martial artists - are on completely different levels. Ancestor can do a lot more interesting (read - create painful ways to die) things than Val, but it doesn't change the fact that Val dwarfs him in fighting speed and hitting power (more the speed than the power, but still).

Martial arts wise, I need to go higher than that to find someone capable of beating Val, and we're getting into 'magical martial arts' at that point (as in, their martial arts aren't just superhuman, they're flat-out magical crap that often doesn't have so much about 'hitting with fist').
    Why are we here?

Hm. Where would a max level, max hax, Anima Martial Artist end up?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Hm. Where would a max level, max hax, Anima Martial Artist end up?
    Like...utter maximum? Purely human, no enhancements at all, or 'best in the setting' kind of deal?

A level 15, purely human martial artist is fast enough without using any Ki techs to 'block' nuclear explosions that go off...say, about 100' away. Casually. With his Ki techniques up and running, he's (I'll just use 'he' for this one) likely easily capable of blocking nuclear explosions at point blank range. With his bare hands.

His Ki techniques, depending on the sorts of stuff he knows, can allow him to do anything up to stuff including 'erasing everyone from existence within X miles of him', or 'tearing out someone's soul and murdering it it', 'act at multiples of lightspeed or stop time in the area to act' or whatever. Really, the character is likely up to Tier III techniques, and his skill level will be such that even with the Tier I techniques he knows and can effectively activate instantly, will likely be operating in reach of Zen level rolls.

That's setting aside the martial arts they know, which - without needing to use Ki or anything - can include stuff like 'defend against a literal unlimited amount of simultaneous attacks without penalties, and counter-attack against all of them'. It depends on the build, but that's the sort of crap one gets up to when one is using the top-level martial arts.

Note - this isn't 'The Best Martial Artist in the Setting', this is 'some imaginary level 15, perfectly human character with a couple of maxed out Arcane martial arts'. And this guy would get his ass handed to him by the top martial artists in the setting (some of whom would be up to level 18 and full of all kinds of enhancements, either 'natural' to them or stuff that has been altered about them).

Given the sorts of special effects Ki Techniques can have at Tier III, I would guess the top-level types are at least in the ballpark for 'capable of fighting Val', especially with Ki Dominions against which he might have little defense (other than trying for 'hit you first'). One doesn't just look at the in-game stats - the fluff for the Ki Dominions explains how they work, speeds involved, time-stops, soul destroying crap, erasing from existence, etc.
    Why are we here?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Even the weakest post crisis Version of Val, the Mark Waid Val, can shatter 80,000 tons of ice without damaging the Sydney Opera House underneath it with a single strike, and amp his speeds up to Kryptonian levels.

Like...utter maximum? Purely human, no enhancements at all, or 'best in the setting' kind of deal?

A level 15, purely human martial artist is fast enough without using any Ki techs to 'block' nuclear explosions that go off...say, about 100' away. Casually. With his Ki techniques up and running, he's (I'll just use 'he' for this one) likely easily capable of blocking nuclear explosions at point blank range. With his bare hands.

His Ki techniques, depending on the sorts of stuff he knows, can allow him to do anything up to stuff including 'erasing everyone from existence within X miles of him', or 'tearing out someone's soul and murdering it it', 'act at multiples of lightspeed or stop time in the area to act' or whatever. Really, the character is likely up to Tier III techniques, and his skill level will be such that even with the Tier I techniques he knows and can effectively activate instantly, will likely be operating in reach of Zen level rolls.

That's setting aside the martial arts they know, which - without needing to use Ki or anything - can include stuff like 'defend against a literal unlimited amount of simultaneous attacks without penalties, and counter-attack against all of them'. It depends on the build, but that's the sort of crap one gets up to when one is using the top-level martial arts.

Note - this isn't 'The Best Martial Artist in the Setting', this is 'some imaginary level 15, perfectly human character with a couple of maxed out Arcane martial arts'. And this guy would get his ass handed to him by the top martial artists in the setting (some of whom would be up to level 18 and full of all kinds of enhancements, either 'natural' to them or stuff that has been altered about them).

Given the sorts of special effects Ki Techniques can have at Tier III, I would guess the top-level types are at least in the ballpark for 'capable of fighting Val', especially with Ki Dominions against which he might have little defense (other than trying for 'hit you first'). One doesn't just look at the in-game stats - the fluff for the Ki Dominions explains how they work, speeds involved, time-stops, soul destroying crap, erasing from existence, etc.
    Yeah, the top-level MAs in Anima do some really weird stuff, even without Ki abilities, techniques and ars magni. Like “I have exceptionally strong armour just because martial arts”, “my martial arts are so good, my hits are now pure energy... from my fists”, “effectively infinite blocks and/or counter attacks per turn”, “pressure point death”, “your armour means nothing to me”, “even what is basically just a tap will knock you tfo” or “I can defend with my full ability even if I’m tied up, face down in a box”.

When you add the other stuff in, it gets into bonkers territory.

Some of the stuff that could have potentially been done by a very-high-level Tasha or Solomon in Siriel’s game, or Serafyna in Sharp’s game, is obscene.

But it’s not high-level magic. High-level Anima magic is ludicrous. Taran at high level is bordering on godhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yeah, the top-level MAs in Anima do some really weird stuff, even without Ki abilities, techniques and ars magni. Like “I have exceptionally strong armour just because martial arts”, “my martial arts are so good, my hits are now pure energy... from my fists”, “effectively infinite blocks and/or counter attacks per turn”, “pressure point death”, “your armour means nothing to me”, “even what is basically just a tap will knock you tfo” or “I can defend with my full ability even if I’m tied up, face down in a box”.

When you add the other stuff in, it gets into bonkers territory.

Some of the stuff that could have potentially been done by a very-high-level Tasha or Solomon in Siriel’s game, or Serafyna in Sharp’s game, is obscene.
    We never even got to that level, but even at the levels to which we arrived, the stuff that was possible was insane.

The stuff that arcane level martial arts is capable of pulling off...that's getting into the Val level of power, especially that arriving at that point requires one to be close to Zen level to start with, which means one's stats are at least competitive with hypersonic types who shatter small mountains.

Throw the Ki Dominions on top of that? Ugh.

But it’s not high-level magic. High-level Anima magic is ludicrous. Taran at high level is bordering on godhood.
    No question of that. Martial arts/Ki Dominions rule when it comes to raw power/damage, but magic takes the cake for everything else.
    Why are we here?

Spectacular Member

Alright, we added in Remo and Mantis to no avail, what if I break the h2h only rule and give Mandrin his rings? If that's overkill then he only gets his right hand ones.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanrage View Post
    Alright, we added in Remo and Mantis to no avail, what if I break the h2h only rule and give Mandrin his rings? If that's overkill then he only gets his right hand ones.
    His issue here is that he'll never have time to use them. Val will blitz him, rip Mandarin's hands off,and shove them up his butt just in case. All before Mandarin knows the fight has started, much less has time to actually do anything with said knowledge.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I've never played this game, but how does the planet
    survive fights between these beings? If a bad guy is about to lose, why doesn't he just destroy the planet as a giant middle finger?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I've never played this game, but how does the planet
    survive fights between these beings? If a bad guy is about to lose, why doesn't he just destroy the planet as a giant middle finger?
    Presumably, some even stronger person (or group) is protecting the planet from such shenanigans, if the planet itself doesn't have the means to do so.
    This signature intentionally left blank.