Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman and Batman Writers Who Were Also Good Wonder Woman Writers?

Spinning out of an idea that popped in my head from the recent talk of Tom Taylor's bad writing of Wonder Woman across his bibliography but question I have is for those who've read more Bats and Supes than me is, are there writers who you think have been good at writing one of both of those two that have also been good at writing Diana? Because it generally seems not that case from own personal reading.

Rucka is the obvious answer, he’s done great work on Batman and WW. His Adventures of Superman is well regarded but I haven’t read it yet, so Rucka might be the only one who has written all three well?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I know people complain about Rucka’s Batman but I felt both his Batman and Superman are alright. (Minus the OMAC thing)
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I can count on one hand the number of people who have done great work on both Batman and Superman:

Alan Moore
    Grant Morrison
    Tom King (I liked a lot of his Batman run and adore Up in the Sky)
    Greg Rucka
    Jeph Loeb

And I think that’s basically it. No surprise there aren’t a lot of people who have done good work on all three, that requires a very flexible writer. Plus of course Diana was usually not afforded the same regard as the other two, so she didn’t get as high profile teams who got to go on to work on the other two, or have Superman/Batman teams want to come work on her.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I can count on one hand the number of people who have done great work on both Batman and Superman:

Alan Moore
    Grant Morrison
    Tom King (I liked a lot of his Batman run and adore Up in the Sky)
    Greg Rucka
    Jeph Loeb

And I think that’s basically it. No surprise there aren’t a lot of people who have done good work on all three, that requires a very flexible writer. Plus of course Diana was usually not afforded the same regard as the other two, so she didn’t get as high profile teams who got to go on to work on the other two, or have Superman/Batman teams want to come work on her.
    Hmm, have to say I pegged you as someone who didn’t like Loeb.

I’m not a huge fan of the WW:EO stuff but I thought Morrison made a decent effort since they thought their previous work didn’t do Diana justice. Although their work on Supes, Bats, even GL are better than WW.

Joe Kelly also comes to mind. He co wrote the Lois Lane/ Diana interview issue "She's A Wonder" with Phil Jimenez. He also wrote "Golden Perfect" which is one of the best Justice League stories centered around Diana. He also obviously wrote at least one popular Superman story "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice & the American Way?". He has written a few Batman stuff which while not notable is still fine.

Darwyn Cooke has a pretty popular take on Wonder Woman. He has at least one great Batman story "Batman: Ego" and although I'm sure his Superman isn't the most popular, people still seem not to mind it that much.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-12-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’m not a huge fan of the WW:EO stuff but I thought Morrison made a decent effort since they thought their previous work didn’t do Diana justice. Although their work on Supes, Bats, even GL are better than WW.
    WW Earth One Vol 3 is a great Wonder Woman story, but Diana still doesn't have a strong distinct voice in that book.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-12-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Gerry Conway?

Oh, and James Tynion.
    Last edited by Psy-lock; 08-12-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hmm, have to say I pegged you as someone who didn’t like Loeb.

He’s nowhere near my top for either, but he’s written well received work for both, so I’ll give him the spot. I liked Morrison EO trilogy, especially volume 3, but it’s not widely beloved and they didn’t do much with Diana anywhere else.

Kurt Busiek seems to have a good bead on all three. His Trinity series ran out of gas halfway through, but I thought his writing of the actual characters was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Kurt Busiek seems to have a good bead on all three. His Trinity series ran out of gas halfway through, but I thought his writing of the actual characters was pretty good.
    Oh damn how did I forget him? He also wrote some well regarded Pre-Crisis WW stuff didn’t he? So Busiek and Rucka, those are the only two who have done well on all three.

I forgot Darwyn Cooke also did Superman: Kryptonite. He's definitely one of the prime examples with the three sided punch of Batman: Ego, Superman: Kryptonite, and New Frontier (for Wonder Woman). I mean, his take on WW isn't the best one, but it's definitely better than many others, and quite popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    This. For the win.

I would also suggest Warren Ellis but I cannot recall if writing them in a group counts

What has Warren Ellis written with Wonder Woman?

Gail Simone.

Kurt Busiek.

Paul Dini (for WW it's the OGN he did with Alex Ross, for Superman it's the Christmas episode of JL and for Batman his 'Tec and overall DCAU work).

Marv Wolfman.