Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #777 - Spoiler/Discussion

Summary:

Diana, Siggy, Deadman and Ratatoskr end up on the gender-swap planet Earth-11. Diana confronts the Justice Guild to discuss Janus and her growing threat to the multiverse, when their meeting is interrupted by Diana’s own gender-swapped self, Dane of Elysium a.k.a Wonder Man.

Freed by Janus herself and armed with Earth-11’s golden lasso, Wonder Man fights the Justice Guild as revenge for his imprisonment by their hands. Diana momentarily takes him out, until Janus herself appears and attempts to kill Wonder Woman. Unable to beat the Amazon, Janus takes Deadman hostage and escapes back into the multiverse.

Assured by the Justice Guild they will deal with Dane, Diana rips open Janus’ portal with her bare hands and jumps through along with Siggy and Ratatoskr.

-

I liked this issue! Might even be my favorite issue in the run so far.

I though it was a really fun and well paced. The fill-in artists were great! The writing for Diana herself was better and it would be cool to see Earth-11 again.

Janus got much more showing, and as a villain is okay. I mean, her design is really good but she doesn’t really add anything we haven’t seen before and her personality is a bit one dimensional.

I was hoping Dane would get some development as a character, but he’s still a dump jerk like he was in Countdown. Maybe we’ll come back to him at some point, I think there’s an interesting conversation to be had between him and Diana.

Backup story:

Diana finds out about Antiope and Hippolyta was the first to attack their jailers after they were freed from slavery despite being told not too.

The backup story is dragging a bit. It’s alright though.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-10-2021 at 06:30 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Thanks for the summary!

Janus really is a bit one-dimensional, all that doomsday talk isn't very original, but the sickle is just great. I loved her entrance when she ripped through time and space, and I like that the sickle's danger is portrayed by leaving a scar.

I would have loved to see a bit more of Earth-11. DC should give it a mini same as they did for Earth-3. I wouldn't mind if Diana returned there eventually and had a talk with Dane or the Amazons of Earth-11.

I'm a bit sad we didn't see Jesse (she is E-11's speedster, right?) in action. It seems as if they forgot she's supposed to be there too. Or maybe she was evacuating? Anyway, I would have liked her to get some action too. Overall, I thought the fight deserved a bit more impact. I wish they would have taken the fight outside or caused more damage to the building. It seems strange that they were able to keep their attacks to one room.

I absolutely love how amazed Siegfried was by the Justice Guild, and I enjoyed how he and Ratatosk participated in the fight. Also, Siegfried is such a goner, lol. He has it bad for Diana.

I wonder why Diana didn't take the golden lasso with her? It seems to have remained with Batwoman, but it sounded as if Janus got it from Olympus. Maybe I misunderstood.

The backup finally revealed the lie of the Amazons' history. And I can't say I expected that.

I can also totally see why Conrad said that some people will consider this "an SJW attack on the right". And those people can stay pressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I wonder why Diana didn't take the golden lasso with her? It seems to have remained with Batwoman, but it sounded as if Janus got it from Olympus. Maybe I misunderstood.
    Janus said, “To prove my goodwill, I come bearing a gift. Something your captors kept in what they thought was a secure location.”

His captors are the Justice Guild, so it was Dane’s golden lasso.

Side-note, that purple lasso is weird… Diana said the lasso command her to strip Dane of his title. Not sure how literally we are meant to take that, but it was talking to her last issue…
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-10-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I thought this was a fun step-up from the previous few issues.

Incredible Member

This was fun and very pretty to look at.

My favorite part had to be Diana holding open the portal into the Multiverse. That's definitely a cool feat.

Janus is one-dimensional but she has a good design and the Scraper is a dope weapon. I like the colors used for it too and it's quite the impressive weapon to cut and scar Diana.

I appreciated Siggy clapping back at Dane's archaic views and pointing out that he's from a much more distant past and he doesn't think like that.

I do agree Siggy will either die or there's gonna be a swerve somewhere...

Emmanuela Lupacchino's art is as beautiful as ever and I gotta compliment the editor for calling her up for this issue set on Earth-11. It plays so well to her strengths and her facial expressions are so dynamic. That page where Diana hugged Siggy and cuddled Ratatoskr was precious.

The back-up was a swerve. Interesting that Athena is the one that heard Hippolyta's call. Also, it seems like there will be a punishment from the gods (the Amazons don't wear their bracelets yet), BUT instead of it relating to allowing themselves to be subjugated, it's instead because Hippolyta chose revenge and bloodshed over mercy. However, she did it from a place of love for her sister. Despite not outrighting saying Antiope was raped, it's definitely coded in the scene. And that was Theseus, right? Or did I read it wrong and it's actually Herakles that did that stuff to Antiope?

It's kinda cool that young Diana is now faced with a complex moral dilemma and I'm intrigued to see how she responds. Her mother lied to her from a place of shame, but her actions are heroic/justifiable even if it meant Hippolyta disobeyed Athena's direct orders to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I thought this was a fun step-up from the previous few issues.
    Ditto. The last few issues were decent, but this one reminded me why I love this run so far.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I'm gonna miss Siegfriend so much when he inevitably sacrifices himself.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I loved this number.
    It's funny, full of action, what I feel with the previous issue and this one is that they could have developed into two issues and not just one for each.
    I want more of the heroines of Earth-11, I think that Dane could be an interesting enemy for a future story.
    Siggy and Ratatosk make the delights of this number, the art is beautiful and great for this full of women issue.
    I love that there is doubt about the origin of Diana (clay or papi Zeus?)
    The back-up story brings us the Perez's origin basically with some changes associated with Messner-Loebs' #0 (with a interesting switch).
    This issue is a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Please don't even think about it.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 08-10-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Incredible Member

It'd be a shame if it happened before we got the compulsory love triangle drama upon their return to actual Earth-0.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Ditto. The last few issues were decent, but this one reminded me why I love this run so far.

I totally agree. The last two issues were alright but the current one puts the book back on the tracking to greatness. Wonder Man being a misogamist had him mirror the New 52 Amazons and I love that the ladies put him in his place. The art was much better in this issue as well with the exception of Siggy's appearance. The shorter hair made him seem a little less attractive.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    The back-up was a swerve. Interesting that Athena is the one that heard Hippolyta's call. Also, it seems like there will be a punishment from the gods (the Amazons don't wear their bracelets yet), BUT instead of it relating to allowing themselves to be subjugated, it's instead because Hippolyta chose revenge and bloodshed over mercy. However, she did it from a place of love for her sister. Despite not outrighting saying Antiope was raped, it's definitely coded in the scene. And that was Theseus, right? Or did I read it wrong and it's actually Herakles that did that stuff to Antiope?

It's kinda cool that young Diana is now faced with a complex moral dilemma and I'm intrigued to see how she responds. Her mother lied to her from a place of shame, but her actions are heroic/justifiable even if it meant Hippolyta disobeyed Athena's direct orders to be better.
    It was neither Theseus nor Heracles, it implies that Antiope (and only her) was raped by the soldiers who were left there, and that those same soldiers destroyed the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I totally agree. The last two issues were alright but the current one puts the book back on the tracking to greatness. Wonder Man being a misogamist had him mirror the New 52 Amazons and I love that the ladies put him in his place. The art was much better in this issue as well with the exception of Siggy's appearance. The shorter hair made him seem a little less attractive.
    Yeah, hopefully the series is back on track now. Looking forward to next issue with the multiverse and Moore back on art.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    It was neither Theseus nor Heracles, it implies that Antiope (and only her) was raped by the soldiers who were left there, and that those same soldiers destroyed the city.
    Thanks for clarifying!

I actually really like Siegfried right now. He’s so far been a genuinely nice romance option for Diana. Plus it helps he can fight just as good as her with a sword.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I hope the other Earth-11 still exists, which had a different premise from this one, but then does it mean that there are two Earth-11 now? It would make sense with so many universes with Wonder Woman and other male heroes, it doesn't make sense there is only a universe with changed genders, but now I want to read Diana knowing her other male counterpart