1 1.32%
  • G. Willow Wilson

0 0%
  • Other

1 1.32%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Probably did.

Think they'd make decent ones if either were offered it or if they were interested in it//offered.
    ^^^deja vu! And yes, even as editor(s) i think it’d be a big plus for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    George Perez. IMHO, by pairing Steve Trevor with Etta Candy, he got the title out of a four-decade rut. And he introduced Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis
    ^^^And Myndi Mayer. Such a great character.
    And Steve’s mom. And my favorite version of Silver Swan and Cheetah...

Hmm, top three are who I expected but honestly expected there'd be more for Azzarello.

Hmm, top three are who I expected but honestly expected there'd be more for Azzarello.
    I'm assuming most of the die-hard Azz fans left the book when they did away with all his work, so they probably aren't participating in WW's forum posts.

I definitely feel like Azz's run was one of those "popular in the moment" things. From what I read on here and from my own opinion, most of his run is not looked back on very fondly. For myself, I dropped Wonder Woman for the first time in 20 years when Diana's daddy/murder pirate Amazons were revealed.

Then Mr. Rucka came back and put Diana's world back together (more or less)!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm assuming most of the die-hard Azz fans left the book when they did away with all his work, so they probably aren't participating in WW's forum posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    I definitely feel like Azz's run was one of those "popular in the moment" things. From what I read on here and from my own opinion, most of his run is not looked back on very fondly. For myself, I dropped Wonder Woman for the first time in 20 years when Diana's daddy/murder pirate Amazons were revealed.

Then Mr. Rucka came back and put Diana's world back together (more or less)!
    Guess you could be right there aren’t many left around here anyway since Rucka tossed out most of everything to do with it. So I guess some of its shine has worn off.

Though unfortunately daddy-Zeus stuck around.

Rucka for me. His Rebirth run is what taught me the value of a more “normal” WW book. He showed that yes Diana does have a personality beyond being “iconic”. He showed why Cheetah is awesome and the role she plays amongst Diana’s Rogues. He gave Cale, Cyber, and Circe good showcases as well (my only disappointment is he didn’t do more with Circe and didn’t reinvent more of Diana’s traditional Rogues like Psycho). He brought Trevor and Etta back, giving Diana a supporting cast again. He’s my favorite WW writer.
    Has this sub forum ever liked Azzarelo? People here have never liked his run as far as I can tell. I like it though, it’s about equal with Rucka’s Rebirth run for me, although I would probably put Rebirth slightly above it, I bought the Omnibus recently. You go outside this forum to Twitter or what have you, and you will find more people who like it. It was one of the most popular reboots and was a top seller under Azz. But then the Finches destroyed it and Rucka swept the wreckage under the rug, and that was that. It works mainly as Diana’s best “Elseworld” title imo, and maybe that’s what it always should’ve been. I still miss Chiang’s designs for the Gods though. Way better than togas or animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Rucka for me. His Rebirth run is what taught me the value of a more “normal” WW book. He showed that yes Diana does have a personality beyond being “iconic”. He showed why Cheetah is awesome and the role she plays amongst Diana’s Rogues. He gave Cale, Cyber, and Circe good showcases as well (my only disappointment is he didn’t do more with Circe and didn’t reinvent more of Diana’s traditional Rogues like Psycho). He brought Trevor and Etta back, giving Diana a supporting cast again. He’s my favorite WW writer.

Has this sub forum ever liked Azzarelo? People here have never liked his run as far as I can tell. I like it though, it’s about equal with Rucka’s Rebirth run for me, although I would probably put Rebirth slightly above it, I bought the Omnibus recently. You go outside this forum to Twitter or what have you, and you will find more people who like it. It was one of the most popular reboots and was a top seller under Azz. But then the Finches destroyed it and Rucka swept the wreckage under the rug, and that was that. It works mainly as Diana’s best “Elseworld” title imo, and maybe that’s what it always should’ve been. I still miss Chiang’s designs for the Gods though. Way better than togas or animals.
    I'm aware of it's popularity elsewhere, which is why I expected he'd get at least more votes. I'm largely neutral on Azz for the most part. Diana herself and the general over aching plot are fine (if a bit stretched out) but everything with the Amazons and Zeus goes too much against the basis of the character for me. Maybe if it was streamlined to a Black Label miniseries it would have made an interesting experiment.

Think I'm also in the minority that while I like giving the gods personalized/unique designs, I largely don't care for Chiang's designs outside of Hera and maybe Hades.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've said it before, but if Azz's book was like an Image comic about a Wonder Woman expy and not about Wonder Woman herself or her world, it'd probably be one of my favorite books.

As it stands, I can read it as its own self contained thing now for the stuff I like (Diana herself, the Gods especially Strife, the art), but the two things I really dislike (Zeus and the Amazons) are doozies that prevent me from considering it a favorite.

When Chiang's designs were good they were very good but when they were bad they were terrible. However he was still more on the ball than Azzarello who seemed to willfully destroy Wonder Woman's mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    When Chiang's designs were good they were very good but when they were bad they were terrible. However he was still more on the ball than Azzarello who seemed to willfully destroy Wonder Woman's mythology.
    I think I would have liked Chiang with another writer, like Rucka or DeConnick.

He draws one of my favorite Diana's, just a shame she was stuck in a plot that didn't serve anyone in her world beyond (somewhat) her.

Is the Rucka hype in relation to both of his runs, or one in particular? I've read neither.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Is the Rucka hype in relation to both of his runs, or one in particular? I've read neither.
    I prefer the first run but I voted for him as the positives between both of them push him over the top for me. If he only had one I’d have probably voted Perez.

Then you're missing out, Rucka's Wonder Woman runs are by far the best. There were so many mysteries involved, so much to uncover and every issue provided clues that eventually lead to surprising conclusions. That's what makes them better than Perez, who's run was great but told in a straight forward and linear way. With Rucka there wasn't just one adversary at a time, he mixed multiple villains together and had them interact, which helped increase the epic scale of his stories.

I think both. Maybe on here it leans more towards the second run because it's more recent and was a breath of fresh air after the New 52, but I think the former is stronger overall because it's less tied to a continuity reboot and is just telling a compelling story. As far as "messy continuity fixes" go Rebirth is still better than average and it helps if you weren't attached to the New 52 era that it dumps. The parts of the second run set early in her career are stronger because he isn't dealing with that stuff as much and is just telling a story, plus he does a lot of great work with her villains, Cheetah (second run) and Veronica Cale in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Then you're missing out, Rucka's Wonder Woman runs are by far the best. There were so many mysteries involved, so much to uncover and every issue provided clues that eventually lead to surprising conclusions. That's what makes them better than Perez, who's run was great but told in a straight forward and linear way. With Rucka there wasn't just one adversary at a time, he mixed multiple villains together and had them interact, which helped increase the epic scale of his stories.
    I don't think that strictly makes a run better, but I do quite enjoy that kind of writing. The main reason his runs haven't been a priority is that I didn't like The Hiketeia very much. Obviously a proper run on a character is different to a graphic novel and his runs are still very much on my list, although increasingly of interest. I think I'll grab them once I've finished the GA omnibus'.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”