• Steve Orlando

1 1.32%
  • G. Willow Wilson

0 0%
  • Other

1 1.32%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I don't think that strictly makes a run better, but I do quite enjoy that kind of writing. The main reason his runs haven't been a priority is that I didn't like The Hiketeia very much. Obviously a proper run on a character is different to a graphic novel and his runs are still very much on my list, although increasingly of interest. I think I'll grab them once I've finished the GA omnibus'.
    Rucka said in interviews he was looking to explore different stuff with Diana than he did with The Hiketeia, so I'd say it's still worth checking out if you weren't so big on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I don't think that strictly makes a run better, but I do quite enjoy that kind of writing. The main reason his runs haven't been a priority is that I didn't like The Hiketeia very much. Obviously a proper run on a character is different to a graphic novel and his runs are still very much on my list, although increasingly of interest. I think I'll grab them once I've finished the GA omnibus'.
    Out of curiosity why didn't you like the Hiketeia?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Rucka said in interviews he was looking to explore different stuff with Diana than he did with The Hiketeia, so I'd say it's still worth checking out if you weren't so big on it.
    Oh, good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Out of curiosity why didn't you like the Hiketeia?
    I can't remember the specifics, but there was something about the use of the Hiketeia that felt to me like it didn't work. I think it was that it felt like her enemies could just entrap her so easily by using it that she would be defenceless, I can't remember exactly why. It's something that Diana specifically refers too. It was something along those lines.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Rucka for me. His Rebirth run is what taught me the value of a more “normal” WW book. He showed that yes Diana does have a personality beyond being “iconic”. He showed why Cheetah is awesome and the role she plays amongst Diana’s Rogues. He gave Cale, Cyber, and Circe good showcases as well (my only disappointment is he didn’t do more with Circe and didn’t reinvent more of Diana’s traditional Rogues like Psycho). He brought Trevor and Etta back, giving Diana a supporting cast again. He’s my favorite WW writer.
    On Cheetah, I am curious about whether you had seen any of her appearances under William Messner-Loebs pen. Had you seen WW Special #1 and its conclusion in WW #63? He also penned her in WW #94-96. These are from volume 2, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    On Cheetah, I am curious about whether you had seen any of her appearances under William Messner-Loebs pen. Had you seen WW Special #1 and its conclusion in WW #63? He also penned her in WW #94-96. These are from volume 2, of course.
    I recently read through the new collection of the first part of the Loebs run. The stuff people say about the art situation is mostly true but I have to say I've enjoyed what I've read so far of it even if I don't think Loebs will crack my favorites.

I was always disappointed they never expanded on the plot where Cheetah jumped into the demon Barremargox's dimension. How did she come back? What went on between the two of them? It was an interesting set up from WML but sadly never went anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I was always disappointed they never expanded on the plot where Cheetah jumped into the demon Barremargox's dimension. How did she come back? What went on between the two of them? It was an interesting set up from WML but sadly never went anywhere.
    I thought THAT was one of the most "bad@$$" moments I have ever read. I very much enjoy the personality ML gave Cheetah. As to how she came back, that is in issue 94
    Last edited by Stanlos; 12-18-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Rucka

Azzarello

Orlando

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah I'm going with Rucka, though it's very close between him and Jimenez. After them, I'd probably put Perez and Marston as equally good for their respective eras and their ideas for the character. Joy Murchison also deserves major props as she ghost wrote some of the best GA issues, including Villainy Inc and the Queen Atomia issue.
    "their ideas for the character" bothers me when referring to the creator of the character, especially when most writers are working with what Marston established.

My top three:

1-Gail Simone
    2-William Moulton-Marston
    3-George Pérez

Bottom three:

1-Phil Jiménez
    2-Greg Rucka
    3-Brian Azzarello

I like a lot of these writers, but I'd have to go with Rucka.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Retired

My top three are Bill Marston, Mike Sekowsky and Marty Pasko.

Of course, some of that Marston material is probably Olive Byrne, Bob Kanigher or others.

I like Mike's mod Diana Prince scripts much more than Denny O'Neil's.

Marty only had a short run when Julie Schwartz was editor and his approach was cut short when the book switched to T.V. Earth-2. But the direction Pasko was going showed a lot of promise.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    "their ideas for the character" bothers me when referring to the creator of the character, especially when most writers are working with what Marston established.
    I'm sorry but...it shouldn't? Marston created the character and a lot of his ideas ended up on the page, and the creation worked because a lot of his ideas worked. That's really all it has to mean.

Not all of his ideas hold up through a modern lens though, which is a given since he wrote it in the 1940s. His foundation is essential, but the best subsequent writers are able to write the character well by keeping what worked and not focusing as much on what didn't. Granted, the writers that are able to do that for this character are kind of a rarity sadly enough.

In my opinion, behind Dr. Marston and George Perez, Brian Azzarello created the most engaging, quirky and iconic Wonderverse, ever! Mike Sekowsky and Denny O'Neill is right behind them. https://wondabunga.blogspot.com/2021...aginative.html

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-25-2021 at 08:24 PM. Reason: graphic
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Marston/Murchinson: Well, it is the creator, the one who originated everything, many of his stories are magnificent and it is really a shame that the subsequent writers have not been able to take the rich universe they created to enhance it, in that the every other writers failed, in not taking advantage of the base on which they were created everything, I understand that the fault is partly the 20 years of the terrible damage that Kanigher did. I always think how different everything would have been if Marston hadn't passed away so soon.

Perez: The real second genesis (sorry Byrne), I love him, is because of him that I fell in love with Wonder Woman and comics. For a gay teenager living in a small and conservative town, his stories meant a lot to me.

Messner-Loebs: I really love his stories, even though he always annoys me that he didn't use that world that Marston or Perez left him and I don't understand why. It is the series that I have read the most and enjoy as an adult. My guilty pleasure :P

Phil Jimenez: I love all his good intentions, and I love that he loves Diana so deeply, I understand that many failures were more editorial decisions than anything else, I can only have respect for someone who respects my favorite character like this.

Rucka: I really enjoy the stories of Rucka, another writer who has deep respect and love for Diana, I like how he characterizes the enemies, he tries to create a world for her but for some reason those who follow them are never interested in starting where he left off.

Gail Simone: I love Tom Tresser, I love Diana's humor, I love the stories that she gives us although not so much the endings, always hurry and it seems that they have no interest in finishing them as well as he constructs them.

Azzarello: I understand and share most of the points you guys criticized here bout his run, but what can I tell you, the story is entertaining, funny, well told and I still enjoy it very much.

Orlando: Each story is to see things here and there of almost the entire Wonderuniverse, we clearly need writers like him, and give them the time to recover and put everything we have in the rich Diana's universe on the table (maybe this is the path Clooney and Conrad wants to follow, time will tell).

And also enjoy O'Neil/Sekowsky, Thomas, Mishkin, Byrne, Heinberg, Wilson, Luke, Strackzinsky (like an Elsworld) and out of the main series De Liz and Morrison. Simonson was fine or meh. The few I don't enjoy so much is Robinson, Tamaki, Picault and Kanigher. The four numbers of Vaughan and Raab have an horrible Diana, and more or less is all that I have read